1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Are all the rich people pump and dumps done now and has all the free stimulus money been shaken out of peoples pockets yet?

2. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'll keep enjoying this big dip. I started buying over a year ago so I'm still "up". I have never put in money that matters. I only check once a day. Crypto is here, there's nothing any government can do about it, the CCP has tried. It's just like pot. Eventually they'll find a way best to profit from it. I have zero doubt that certain cryptos will replace the dollar (as it is now) in the future. Either way, I'm not fretting over it. It's all make believe, exactly like our dollar. ;)

3. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Totally agree. In almost every aspect of daily life, the dollar (as well as every major fiat currency) are basically already a digital crypto currency (and 40 years ago, very few would have imagined how much physical currency would be phased out of daily transactions - or that it would potentially cost you money to get physical currency rather than using it's digital equivalent at no cost).

9 months ago, I knew nothing about crypto and then decided that needed to change once I came to the conclusion that my apprehension and views on the subject were being created by my lack of education on it (as well as my reliance on a "traditional old school finance and econ" education with elements that were obviously outdated to apply to what is currently going on).

Found this semester long class that MIT business school uploaded for FREE on you tube being taught by the current Chairman of the SEC from four years ago. What's really interesting to me is that the first class has 5 million views, but then with each subsequent class, the views drop pretty uniformly and dramatically to when you get towards the end they're clocking only tens of thousands views vs the 5 million of the first class. Even then it's crazy, the class on Central Banks and Commercial Banking is two parts - the second part has HALF the views of part 1 and then when you get to the Secondary Markets and Crypto Exchanges class right after that, it almost halves again. That's tells you something about the time and energy that goes behind most people's understanding of the space (let alone their proclamations about it's utility, legitimacy and future potential - not just in how they see it's utility but in context of the vast fiscal and economic apparatus that they rarely give a thought about).

I personally think most cryptos are bullshit and going to fail. . .and NFT's make zero fucking sense to me (but then again, so does the concept of spending millions on Pokemon cards - real or not). But given the resources that both private industry and governments are devoting to this (including the infrastructure that has already been rolled out (and is continued to be developed and scaled up) they are definitely here to stay and some of those are going to forever alter the landscape in the not so distant future. I also think there's going to be way more centralization of them (and the Fed releasing it's white paper on the subject - to go along with others out there on the same subject) tell the tale in that regard (which sort of defeats the stated original purpose, but then again, is almost a necessary component to wide scale adoption in my opinion - sort of like the varying degrees of user participation for the initial decentralization that went into the digital market places that were originally created by Ebay, Craigslist, Facebook and Amazon).

Here's the class series I mentioned. Time consuming. Sometimes boring as fuck. Highly recommended.

ajcjr, BigBird, Clay and 2 others like this.
  4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

MIT OCW is the bomb.

I've watched all their nuclear power classes and reactor principles videos. I've seen the crypto vids in the suggested videos sidebar, but as you said, biting off the will to become fully edumacated on the subject seems to be way too time consuming.

Maybe next time I'm down for 6 weeks recuperating from surgery...

5. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Amen. Considering what it would cost (not just in dollars for the actual tuition there, but in everything else that goes in just being able to make it to sit in that class) let alone the potential value that can come from an increased understanding of what's involved with the subject matter (especially from that professor given his current circumstances) - pretty mind blowing they're offering it for free.

6. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Fucking slaughterhouse…..

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

how's the unconnected to the economy Crypto doing? I imagine it's pretty stable, it's a currency and all

418 likes this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Who could have seen this coming.

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Anyone buying the dip? Hard to know when you're catching a falling knife or buying the bottom................particularly after the past two weeks.

Been a rough fortnight.

11. SuddenBraking

I guess if there's one saving grace, at least I didn't buy crypto.

I'd be slitting my wrists if I did that :p

upload_2022-1-24_9-40-32.png

upload_2022-1-24_9-39-51.png

12. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

U.S. dollar index is up pretty big today . Dollar has spent the last 7 years trading within about a 10% range and maximum swing, mostly within about 6% range.. Very stable given the last 5 years turmoil. THAT is how a real currency should trade. Just say'n

BigBird likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

So you mean Odell Beckham getting paid in Bitcoin wasn't the best strategy :Poke:

14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Bought a bit of QQQ and IBUY just now. Don't know or care if it's the "bottom"... I'll hold as long as it takes.

15. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I’m doing just fine, I pulled out right when everything started to bust. I took a small loss on my profits but I’m still up quite a bit from my initial investment. waiting to buy back in. I figured crypto would be the first sell to offset the losses on tech stocks by big traders. I was right.

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

YamahaRick, Spooner and SuddenBraking like this.
  17. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Its not like I’m playing with large amounts of money. Only couple grand. Though after this sell off I may put quite a bit more in. I’m thinking it’s close to the bottom if not at it.

Gonna buy some Coinbase shares too. They’re getting hammered

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  18. rymerc

rymerc Well-Known Member

I'm buying the dip. I'll regret it wednesday, but hey- warren buffet says to be greedy when others are fearful and he wouldn't give bad advise.

19. SuddenBraking

Just bought another 60 shares of SPY.

Wanted to buy more but I'm too chickenshit after the last two weeks.

BigBird likes this.
  20. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

buffet.jpeg

418 likes this.