1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Effin biden!

Discussion in 'General' started by kangasj, Jan 21, 2022.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It started with the AARP invites. That wasn't bad, it was essentially congratulations, you made it to 50 without dying. Then came the mass Medicare and related supplement mailings. Meh, still didn't bother me all that much.

Then came the promotions for burial plots.

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Same here, not by choice.

dtalbott, ToofPic and BigBird like this.
  3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

So what jobs are all of you retirees looking to land after you are done?

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have enough contacts in the design/construction industry locally to pick up contract PM work for 15 to 20 hours a week, much of which can be done anywhere with a wifi connection.

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That's my plan once I've got enough. Work 10-20 hours a week because I want to, not because I have to.

R Acree likes this.
  6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Greeters, mostly.

rd400racer likes this.
  7. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Congrats on the retirement! Sounds like a pretty awesome way to spend your time.

I'll be 40 this year and retirement seems like an impossibility. Wife has a pension and she can go at 56. Mine depends totally on the market and depends on this coming "lost decade". I'm building up my home shop and developing some product lines so I'll probably never "retire" in the traditional sense, but will be able to slide out to the shop and generate some income in some way if I still have my health and wits about me.

kangasj likes this.
  8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

At the side of the deathbed:
    "I wish that I had worked longer." ~Said no one ever.

kangasj likes this.
  9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Hell with that. I hope that the check for my casket bounces.

969, dtalbott, R Acree and 2 others like this.
  10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I betcha someone died because they couldn't afford proper medical care, food, etc., and probably did say that at some point in history.

But not many, obviously :beer:

11. auminer

I have nationwide contacts in the pet waste removal services industry for anyone interested. :D

Seriously, it's not such a shitty gig.

ToofPic likes this.
  12. kangasj

kangasj Banned

biden my time.....Like passing the time....

13. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I turned 57 last fall and had planned to retire at 62 (not draw SS until 65) and maybe work part time at something relatively mindless and volunteer for things I care about. My retirement funds are 2 years ahead of target, which has me thinking of going sooner - it depends on the kind of day that I'm having at work. I did have a particularly frustrating month that had me wanting to go NOW, and looking into ACA health plans to cover me until I qualify for Medicare.

14. kangasj

kangasj Banned

No way man...you get one round of this life shit....I'm not going to waste it all working.

dtalbott and Mike Lafayette like this.
  15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Trying to understand what you're saying there....o_O

Many people die because they're poor? Check.
    Many people cannot afford to retire at all? Check.
    Some people prefer to work until they're dead, even if they could retire? Check.

16. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I saw a vid about a month ago, made by a financial advisor, who was talking about the various calculations to determine when to jump. He said that "the realization of the lack of funds to retire" was not the most sad of his interactions. He said the most sad thing was when he talked to people who were more physically broken than they used to be, and it was determined that they had enough funds to have quit working 5 years ago. He said the look on their faces said it all.

17. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I have Seriously contemplated messaging you the last week on info for starting my own pooper picker upper service here in N. ga. As a side gig on weekends to supplement my 2 wheel addiction
    I'm already picking up shit at home from my 2 ...So I have experience,and love dogs, and just bought a new pu truck

auminer likes this.
  18. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I actually looked at that version of the 51 back in 08 when I was shopping. Very roomy....4 cabin layout and an aux cabin up in the bow where you could actually stick a couple of stowaways. Thing was huge. Previous owner didn't do a very good job on maintenance and I got a deal on the 466 that I just couldn't pass up. Got her for about 75K less than what comparable 466's were going for at the time and she was very well maintained. Owner was in some kind of financial trouble and he made the mistake of telling a broker I know in Key West how much he needed to cover the mortgage he had on her. After logging around 25K miles on her I'm still happy with my decision.....so many adventures so far...

rd400racer likes this.
  19. auminer

Pu truck?

Poo truck?

:D

Seriously, though, getting a critical mass to make it worthwhile is a bitch.

If you want to make money sometime in the next few years, you can buy an existing service or go to work for one. Owning and building your own business from the ground up is harder work than actually working for a living.

ToofPic likes this.
  20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

What is the work thing you speak of?

gixxernaut, SuddenBraking and auminer like this.