1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it with car people?

Discussion in 'General' started by baconologist, Jan 14, 2022.

1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

If you want help planning that trip with the giraffe hotel let me know

Gorilla George and BigBird like this.
  2. noles19

Also just because he types forever on here I think people assume Broome is a talkative person. but really he's pretty quiet when I've met him.

Also weird as all hell:crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Hey now..lol

I did make sure when I had my Chryslers both of them where polished and waxed. Definitely didn't look like your run of the mill manvan.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  4. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I’ll bet he is talking up a storm .. on the inside :D

Gorilla George, noles19 and BigBird like this.
  5. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Almost as bad as those that are too afraid to try new experiences, are the self-righteous who proclaim that their way is the only way to live. I've been to tourist traps and had intimate interactions with the locals alike. I've loved both experiences and everything in between. I have a hard time reading "I travel in a better way than everyone else" without thinking these people are more concerned with appearances than immersing themselves in the moment.

Broome I remember you saying you've been to SE Asia, but can't remember talking about elephants. One of the coolest experiences of my life was going to Chiang Mai, Thailand and visiting an elephant sanctuary. They picked us up in town and drove us 90 min into the mountains. We had 2 adult and 1 baby elephant just to ourselves. You first make friends with them by feeding them a shit-ton of bananas, where they basically swallow your arm. Then we went on a hour or two hike with them (and their handlers.) At the end, we got to play with one of them in the river, while we bathed her. She played with us like a huge dog. We have this awesome slow-mo video of her slamming down into the water and knocking my wife down. It was just an awesome experience. If you do it, look into an elephant sanctuary. They are known for taking great care of the animals. Stay away from any place where they have those little seats on top of the elephants. Those things are basically nailed to their backs, and elephants aren't well equipped to carry weight between their legs. If you ride an elephant, it's much better for them to be harnessless on their neck.

That said, we left Thailand and spent a few days in Tokyo. While there, we heard that a baby panda was just born which was a somewhat rare event, so we went to the zoo to check it out. We couldn't take more than an hour in there though, as it was too depressing seeing how lifeless the caged animals were compared to what we'd experienced a few days prior.

noles19 and Gorilla George like this.
  6. WTF? :crackup:

But it is safe to say that in any given day, I will type 100x as many words on here, than I say in real life. Especially if the wife is working.

When she isn’t working, she messes with me and makes me talk to her. But aside from that, I keep to myself.

BigBird likes this.
  7. Dude that sounds awesome! That would be the best vacation I could imagine. When I get bored I watch YouTube videos of baby elephants playing; I think they are awesome.

I’m definitely gonna have to look into that. :beer:

Totally get you on the elephant ride things. I would never do that. I’ve seen enough videos and documentaries to know that is bullshit and I hate the way they are treated. Just thinking about it pisses me off.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    BigBird and cBJr like this.
  8. noles19

Do a lot of research on the baby elephant thing, there are legit ones in Africa and Asia. But there are also shady ones that take babys just for the reason to make money in a place like that, those are mainly in Asia.

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  9. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

I have little travel experience globally, but have travelled the USA pretty extensively. I can side with Broome when I say that I am not in it for the people. I like to explore and find cool places to hike, bike, swim, etc and the less people are there the better for me. I am not adventurous when it comes to food at all. Even if I go to a restaurant that I know is fantastic, I won't order outside of my normal items because the chance for disappointment is too high. Food is one of my favorite things and I have found that the times I have taken a risk and been disappointed far outweigh the times when I enjoyed it. I find that creating memories with friends and family has become my goal more than anything else these days. Even if I loose my mind and can't remember my own name, at least my kids will be like, "Hey remember all that cool stuff we did with Dad before he went crazy?"

As far as owning nice stuff is concerned I think it is a have or have not game. I would definitely not fall into the "have" category so I am doing my best to get as much enjoyment out of the things I currently own knowing that they probably won't be able to be replaced. In the past I have struggled with contentment due to always wanting the next newest thing and I think having a lower income now has actually helped me in that regard and made me personally a better friend/husband/father. Several years ago when I lost my job and had to sell off my pristine new truck, all my friends told me afterward that they liked me better without it. That was eye opening for me.

I hope to be able to enjoy a lot of travel with the family in the future, but it will likely be domestic unless this Covid situation changes.

BigBird and cBJr like this.
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm just the opposite, I love to chat with anybody and everybody. I can walk up to total strangers and find something to start a conversation. I was waiting in line at Subway today and the guy in front was wearing a Blackhawks hat, that's all it took. We had a nice talk while waiting for our sandwiches simply because I mentioned they're having a rough year.

To this day I'll never forget the conversation I had with a gentleman in Belgium 39 years ago. I was 22 years old and he had to be in his 50's. I was in this pub and we got to talking about nothing in particular, I told him I was a big WWII buff and next thing you know his eyes start to swell. He proceeds to break down crying and tell me that he will forever remember the day when he was just a lad an saw the American troops marching down his street in 1944, liberating his town. He hugged me and thanked me, even though I obviously didn't have a thing to do with it. To this day I get choked at the thought of his joy and relief. Things like that never happen if you sit in a corner and keep to yourself.

ToofPic, Sprinky, YamahaRick and 7 others like this.
  11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

yeah, my wife did a ton of research before we picked a place. The people we worked with seemed to really love the animals too. Even when noone was around, they were loving on them.

Also, it was dirt cheap. The picked us up/dropped us off, took us on a 3 hour hike to a waterfall where we ate lunch and then rode down the falls all before seeing the elephants. Then did the elephant experience, then took us by truck up the road an we bamboo rafted down the river for an hour or so. All told, I think we paid $110.

12. noles19

That's awesome, I definitely want to do that

13. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Captiva as in Captiva island Florida? I can’t imagine having a performance car there, let alone a Ferrari. Every road is 25 mph and there’s intersections everywhere.

14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Did something similar in South Africa with my wife.

cBJr and Gorilla George like this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

My wife did the elephant sanctuary thing in Thailand too. I was like they probably call it a "sanctuary" but it's a tourist trap.

She seemed to think it was legit. But at least the elephants got some love. Also, I think Komodo Dragons, or at least some large lizards, free roam all over the place.

16. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

He owns a decent amount of property on Captiva (some Condo's and Hotels I believe). He also owns a bunch of shit in the Ft Meyers area. So maybe he meant he was taking it to Florida when he went to Captiva and leaving it on the mainland. The dude is super cool. He wheels the shit out of his stuff. So, I cant imagine he'd let the 488 just sit neglected.

We recently got him to pre-order a C8 Zo6.. Then he pre-ordered another one from a different dealership..

"I want to make sure I get one. If I end up getting both, I'll get one that is all optioned out for track stuff, and ill have it dropped off here after we do a track day with it. Then, I'll try to option the other one out with neat stuff that would be more "rare" options.. Then I'll give it to the wife to drive around"

His wife has gotten multiple sweet ass cars out of him being impatient. A few years ago he ordered an AMG G63 Wagon with a bunch of wild options. Also, everything he buys MUST be silver (aside from the 488, because it was an impulse purchase)

Apparently Mercedes was taking too long to deliver his basically "one of a kind" SUV with every option aside from bullet proofing "I cant imagine anyone shooting at me" So he then decides to go buy a brand new Range Rover Autobiography.. 7 seater, fully optioned, 4.4L twin turbo, etc... lmao. Month or two later the AMG is delivered. He gives the Range Rover to his wife. Then, after driving the AMG for a few weeks realizes he liked the Range Rover more... swaps her out for the AMG. She was perfectly fine with her Porsche Cayenne Turbo S...

Fun tangent.. When he rents out Grattan he usually has me or one of the other shop guys take the Range Rover out onto the track packed full of his "less experienced friends" who have never done a track day, but had a semi drop off their Lamborghini's and Ferrari California's.. I bet I run 4-6 seconds a lap faster in that thing then they do the whole day in their cars. lol They love it though.

cBJr and BigBird like this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/27526/lot/208/?category=list&length=152&page=1

motion and BigBird like this.
  18. I work with a few guys from Malta. The whole island is like 15mi across, but there are lots of people will have a Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette, etc.

They likely go their whole lives never getting out of 2nd gear.

But fuck it. More power to them. Might as well drive what you like. There is no rule that says everything has to be used to its full potential. If that was the case, there would be no sportbikes sold.

BigBird likes this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

About 5-6 years ago I was at Schumi's front gate in Gland. Just parked on the curb in a rental car. Wasn't there for 5 minutes and the gates swung open, and this car drives over to me. The dude asked what I was doing there... I explained, we chatted for a few minutes and he drove back into the estate.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

So he went back to call the police on a stalker...got it