1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it with car people?

Discussion in 'General' started by baconologist, Jan 14, 2022.

1. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I have no idea why anyone would be. So boring.

Rebel635, Knotcher and BigBird like this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

it's fantastic......on Netflix

3. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

I am 66 and I know that I have more years behind me than I have in front of me. I really don't care anymore what people think about the car I want to drive or the motorcycle I want to ride. Get what you want and enjoy it because you might not get another chance because life is too short.

Knotcher, bwhip, cha0s#242 and 5 others like this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Ditto (less a year)

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

My Dad about to finally retire, same age. He treated himself to a fully loaded X5 M50i. I was like do you need that, but why not? You deserve the world, and as you say life is short, enjoy your time

bwhip and Gorilla George like this.
  6. I couldn't agree more. That is how I handle my business.

I save for retirement and shit like that. But if I want something, fuck it...I get it. I refuse to be the dude that retires with a lot of money, but hasn't done or owned shit his whole life.

Knotcher, Sabre699 and BigBird like this.
  7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm on board with this, but aside from my motorbikes, I spend that money on experiences. For me, $100K in travel (rather than a new SUV) goes a long, long ways. I can do without another thing that requires insurance, maintenance, storage costs, etc.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  8. That is where we are different.

I have traveled the world my entire adult life. Sure, for the first few years it was cool. It was like "Oh I have seen this tower in movies" or "The pyramids are awesome, but why is there so much trash?" haha (the state of the pyramids in Egypt is fucking sad and pathetic).

After a while, the novelty wears off. It is more of a hassle. It is like "Ok, which side of the road do they drive on, will they understand my speaking American, do they take US$, where is the gym, and where can I get a damn cheeseburger?"

Sure, I like to see new stuff. But then 5 minutes after I see it, I am like "Ok, now what?". A few days later I am back at home, and have nothing to show for all of that time and money. Sure, you have memories, but they are one head-knock away from being gone anyway.

If I am going to spend big money. I want to be able to see it in the garage, or watch movies on it, or ride it, etc. I want it to be for something I can put my hands on.

The only exception is resorts. Before the covid shit, we used to go to Cancun a few times a year. I like staying at all-inclusive resorts and doing shit all week without having to pay for anything or worry about anything.

418 and bored&stroked like this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Once you have all your needs met, experiences > things. No contest. Only exception is if you have the emotional depth of those things.
    Oh, wait, I guess it applies here. :crackup:

cha0s#242 likes this.
  10. Fucker :moon:

:crackup:

btw, “Once all your needs are met” is an impossible statement to fulfill. I can ALWAYS think of more shit I need. :D

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

And I'm going to get corny here...seeing and doing amazing things all over this planet with your kids is about as perfect as life gets. We've been fortunate to be able to provide our kids with travel experiences since they were toddlers, and those memories mean more to me than anything I've ever bought in my life. On top of that, I feel that well travelled children are more confident adults. I agree with motion; I could have bought myself all the ultra high level accoutrements that some people gauge as being successful, but they're just crap in the long run.

12. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

People love to say experiences over things, but I experience my things on the regular. A year of motorcycle memories is a lot more enjoyable then two weeks somewhere with terrible food.

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

There is a weird phenomenon going on currently with cars, especially - but lots of other stuff too. At the moment, it seems you can buy a fancy car, enjoy the heck out of it - either by keeping it in your garage and admiring and polishing it, or to an only-slightly-lesser extent, driving it like you stole it, and actually seeing it increase in value (or decrease almost zero). Lots of reasons for this, including inflation, supply chain issues, demand, stimulus money, the fact that internal combustion engines are being phased out, and more.

So, I guess if one has the means, cool cars (or other things experiencing this same trend) can currently be thought of as "especially fun savings accounts." At some point that trend will likely reverse, so bear in mind that "present performance does not guarantee future results."

R1Racer99 likes this.
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I call it the "Bring A Trailer" phenomenon. There was an article last year describing the explosion in the classic car market that resembles what's taking place with high end cars too. Who in the hell is buying all of these cars is beyond me, there must be some subculture that I'm not privy to. I simply can't bring myself to do it. I can afford just about any vehicle I want. I also just came into a healthy inheritance (thanks Mom). And you know how I splurged...I bought an MZ Skorpion for $2700. Whoop de do.

Article in question https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/business/bring-a-trailer-classic-car-auctions.html

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Extensive travel is only really good for those that have an endless capacity to learn and grow. Perhaps you've already plateaued.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Damn...that's harsh.

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Not really... he already admitted that he only wants a gym and a cheeseburger. Nothing wrong with that. Lifelong learning isn't for everyone.

18. Maybe so.

And EAD.

19. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

What about a chain of cheeseburger gyms? Really good burgers. Loud rock and metal. Squat cages all over. No machines or cardio gear. Maybe a section of turf and a beat up sled.

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. Love it! :D

Knotcher likes this.