1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Investments (Not just stocks)

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Jan 17, 2022.

1. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Find a hot real estate market. Buy a house for $300k with 10% down. Rent it for $2500/mo, that will cancel out the down payment in the first year. Values in the right markets can easily go up 20% in a year right now. So after a year you the house is worth $360k. You just made $60k profit, off of a $30k buy in. So $90k gross in a year. If the market stays hot, you’ve already wiped out the down payment, so year 2 you’re over $100k profit. Interest at rates right now would only be around $8000/yr. So subtract that.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I feel like rebuilding 33 year old dirt bike engines is a great, quick investment opportunity.

3. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

One thing to consider if you decide to play in the market.

If you are using post tax dollars to play in the market you will be taxed again upon selling.

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

This is news to me.

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That's because you only get taxed if you make money :crackup:

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Lmao.. except the whole finding inventory, vetting a tenant who can pay $2500/month plus at least 1 months security, buying an investment property with only 10% down, and of course other sundry legal expenses of being an absentee owner.
    Real estate is a very local game... just ask Opendoor how its working for them. :)

Rico888 likes this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

NAW, MAN!!!! I just went to a three-day seminar where a thousand of us paid an investment Jean-yus 200 bucks apiece to learn how to get rich quick in real estate!!!!!!!

/sarcasm

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I didn't want to say it, but the description you quoted reminded me of Rodney Dangerfield's response to the professor after he asks where the fictional factory would be located. Dangerfield's response, "Fantasyland". :D

9. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member

If you don't put in the effort to learn and understand these things, it's never going to happen for you. Options trading in the stock market can make you 1000x more than just investing in a stock, but much more risk and principals to learn.

10. auminer

I knew all my principals.

I went to their offices frequently.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

He can't count to 100 and you want him to start trading options? o_O

Robby-Bobby, L8RSK8R and TurboBlew like this.
  12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

A good goal would be to make enough money that your money makes more money than you do... and at that point you can either quit working or at least have the satisfaction in knowing that you COULD.

I agree with those who said in your case flipping bikes is probably going to make more, problem is not many of us have the discipline to then do something wise with those quick profits.

Also agree with putting whatever you can into ETF's/mutual funds and KEEP ADING TO IT... if you were in your 20's $10K to start and $100 a month would add up to a huge number at 40-50 years old. At our age... you'll need to sock away more as time is against you. All the "research" you need to do is to Google "best growth ETF" and buy one or more of the ones that show up on multiple lists.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  13. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Moderna stock produced huge profits for share holders, a $10k buy from 2019 turned into $300k+ in 2021.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

[​IMG]

SuddenBraking likes this.
  15. auminer

In silver yesterday.

16. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

$10k in Service Now on opening day..now worth $565k as of a week ago.
    Fred Luddy is a genius.

R1M370 likes this.
  17. auminer

Megadeth oughta write a song about that.

ohwait

R1M370 likes this.
  18. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Yeah, just like AMC and GME!

Phl218 likes this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

Just buy and sell exactly like tipsy nancy is doing. Outbrokering warren buffet

20. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

Its been my experience. Whether you report it (taxed on the back end) or not is another thing.

Very beginning, and brand new to gambling, of pandemic i started up on robinhood. Used my taxed dollars to buy a bunch of stocks at ridiculous low pricing. A short while later sold one stock. Made over $7000 but did not take that money home. Turned around and reinvested in other stocks. Come tax time i was told i had to report it even though the cash never made it to my pocket. So, i got taxed on that.

Now, my smarter friends day trade gamble within their 401k dollars.