1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Investments (Not just stocks)

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Ok so for the rich folks here, I’m gonna admit that I’m generally pretty bad with money and not good at holding on so bear with me.

I know nothing about stocks, but if I were to use a nice round number like $10,000, where would y’all put it?

if I play in stocks, I’ll need help as I don’t know shit. Is that number a good one to make money?

right now, I am doing well on used bikes so was kinda contemplating just taking that and keeping it just on bikes to flip. Generally I make approx $1000 per used bike.

my legit question is, should I put that $10k into something better, or is my return on the bikes better/faster?

Yes I know this is the beeb so I know I have some good answer mixed with bullshit but at least steer me so I don’t light 10k on fire and waste it.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All depends on your long term goals.

3. Robby-Bobby

Make as much money as possible. Isn’t that always the goal? Not being a smart ass but what other goal could I have?

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Is it $ you need next week? Next year? In 2062?

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not losing your shirt can be a good goal to have as well.

7. Robby-Bobby

I don’t know what a mutual fund is. I’ve heard them on tv commercials maybe??

pokemon, my youngest has that covered.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Short term gambling and long term retirement aren't the same strategy. If you're into gambling keep it in the bikes or hit Biloxi.

9. Robby-Bobby

mid all of the above a valid response?

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Perhaps you seek the advice of a certified financial planner.

Spooner likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure if that would help until he knows what he wants :D

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

In a nutshell, someone is buying a basket of stocks for you and you pay them for their expertise. There are different levels of risk which also carry potentially different levels of reward. Putting all your money on a single stock is extremely risky. The fund spreads the risk around: even if some of the stocks in your basket go down, you don't lose everything.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not really. If there is a chance you might need the money next month, you can't really afford for it to go down. If it's money you will need in five years, you can take more risk with stuff that will go up and down over short periods of time, but will generally be growing when you look at it over those five years.

14. Robby-Bobby

Ok if I wanted to turn that 10k into 100k in a year, is that possible? Without running drugs or other illegal stuff?

15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Well you would need 1000% rate of return, so probably not.

Rebel635 and Wheel Bearing like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

10x profit in one year? Biloxi.

Rebel635 likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, I guess 9x....

18. Robby-Bobby

Ok someone better than me at math help me out.

how many bikes would I need to sell with an average profit of $1000?

some bikes have $1500-2000 and some only have $500 so I figure $1000 is a good estimate.

19. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

If it were possible to reliably turn 10k into 100k each year few people would be wasting their time doing anything else.

Rebel635, HPPT, Wheel Bearing and 3 others like this.
  20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Assuming you're into the bikes for ~$5K each and turning them over every month or two, that's not a rate of return that you'll be able to match in the stock market.

Banditracer likes this.