1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inexpensive 125s

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by motorm, Jan 17, 2022.

1. motorm

motorm Member

Hi all, I'm looking to get into track days and was hoping to buy a two stroke. Pre-pandemic I seem to remember often seeing mid-90s 125s for sale in the $2-3k range without spares, or a bit more with spares. I feel like I rarely see 125s for sale anymore, and when I do they're up in the 6-7k price range.

Are the days of cheap 125s over? If not, any ideas on where to look? I used to see them on tz250.com (rarely any posts now) or usgpru.net (defunct I think).

For reference I'm 5-5 150ish, and just getting back into riding after a few years off.

Thanks all.

2. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Any proper race bike is fetching big $$$ now

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I sold a '92 Honda RS125 for $5K last year with no spares, which was probably on the low side. Yes, the old days of cheap GP bikes are gone.

4. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member

Can't have more fun than a 125

Super Dave likes this.
  5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Stu normally has bikes. Reach out to him and see if he has anything not listed on the website. Tell him Stickboy sent you. He may feel bad for you for having to read one of my non proofread replies.

https://www.rscycles.com/Default.asp

grandpanot likes this.
  6. grandpanot

grandpanot Well-Known Member

Great call Stickboy, Stuart will take care of him

7. motorm

motorm Member

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I did check the RS cycles website, and was surprised they didn't have any bikes right now, but I'll definitely shoot them an email.

8. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

The day's of cheap 2 strokes has been over for about 4 or 5 years in most of the world.
    People in the USA are still wrestling with cognitive dissonance, as supply dwindles and prices continue to rise.
    Rick would hook you up with one of these and we could throw one in our next container.
    https://rmdmotors.com/bike-category/rs125r/

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  9. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

I have a 2008 Aprilia RS125 I was thinking of listing for sale in the Spring to make some space. It has just over 1000 miles on it and is totally street legal. Bike is also totally stock except for an Arrow exhaust and rejetting to suit. Needs nothing except maybe fresh tires if you're going to spank it. Clean NC title in my name. PM me if interested.

10. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

PS- if you want to track day a 125 do yourself a favor and source out a newer NX4 model . 95 and up . My $.02 worth but its a penny for my thoughts

matt2491 likes this.
  11. parillaguy

parillaguy vintage+GP racer

The least expensive 125 GP two strokes are the NF4 Hondas. The first generation RS125 with alloy frames were made 1987-1994. These bikes are usually the least valued of the alloy frame/crankcase reed race GP bikes.

12. motorm

motorm Member

Yes, I was leaning nx4. I was just re-reading old threads here and it seems that's the consensus as well.

Are TZs even harder to source parts for, or is there another reason it seems 90% of 125 posts are RSs?

As for the Aprilia, very cool bikes but I just want one of the gp bikes for the track.

Thanks again everyone.

13. TZmb

TZmb Member

Last year when we saw Bill Himmelsbach at our AHRMA races at Gingerman he had a couple of fresh 125's for sale at very reasonable prices; no better reference. i would be glad to make the referral- [email protected].

14. markhamilton312

markhamilton312 Well-Known Member

bill's 125s are sold

15. peterleduc

peterleduc Well-Known Member

“Reasonably priced” 125GP bikes are a thing of the past unless you know someone with a really dirty-broken one in their garage. Part prices have skyrocketed and there are enough NLA parts that drives up prices even more. Yamaha made about 10 tz125 each year compared to Honda making 50+ rs125’s. The opposite is true for 250’s. Honda made far less rs250’s than Yamaha.

16. joec

joec brace yourself

mmmm....spoked wheeled rs125's!

17. Supermotoguy

Supermotoguy Active Member

I bought one a couple years ago, Stu had like 5 or 6 of them for sale. They have quickly disappeared since then. This is because they are incredibly capable and fun bikes to ride. I don’t think I will ever sell mine. Not until I am a geriatric at least. I have not seen an NX4 (in the us) for some time. The ones that I occasionally see for sale on the facebook groups are in Europe and the asking price is anywhere from 8-13K USD for a nice NX4. I don’t recall seeing any post 2000 TZ’s for sale at all in the last 2 years. You can probably find one but expect to pay between 6-12K depending on year/condition. I think the radial brake is only on post 04 models. May be wrong about this.

18. motorm

motorm Member

Thanks for all of the information, everyone. All very helpful! I've contact Stewart, and also Tom regarding the 1997 NX4 he has.

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have a 1972 TA125 if you get desperate :)

dave3593 likes this.
  20. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Wow the little twin. You sure have some cool new and old stuff!

motion likes this.