1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skydiving

Discussion in 'General' started by Norton 357, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

I finally got to over 120 mph after 30 years, of course I had to jump out of an airplane at 10K feet over Key West to pull it off.
    I loved it and would like to do it again but with my back issues it's risky.
    How many here have tried it?
    I'm turning 65 in a couple of weeks so I figured it may be now or never.

upload_2022-1-16_14-42-56.jpeg

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I'd fucking love to and have looked into it but I'm to big to do a tandem jump and I can't find anywhere to do a solo jump without a shit ton of training.

SuddenBraking and Norton 357 like this.
  3. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Even better! You dropped through clouds!

We go as often as we can...

The time before last, I (we) were last out of the bus. Had a nasty line twist that seemed to last forever. We were the first on the ground. :crackup: My buddy, who went first, saw us go by and said WTF.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RichB and Norton 357 like this.
  4. Norton 357

Yeah, they had a limit of around 250 lbs where we went.
    It takes like 25 tandems to be able to solo but f@ck that would be a blast!

5. Norton 357

Where do you jump?

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Through the open door. Goofball.

R1M370, RichB and Norton 357 like this.
  7. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Me and heights don't mix....so probably not gonna happen for me. But good on ya for doing it.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Good gawd, you've never ridden a bike made in the 1980s?

R Acree, 969, dtalbott and 2 others like this.
  10. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Give it a shot. The most enjoyable part for me is 1.5 seconds going out the door. My first jumps were with an old jump dog who would do some tumbles going out the plane, that was awesome. But no one will do that anymore, which is kind of strange...since the liability release covers every possibility including "if someone shoots you on the way down."

11. Norton 357

A few guys from work are going to Knoxville next weekend. Sounds cold!
    It was 80 degrees on the ground in KW so shorts and t-shirt were comfortable

12. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Yep... I'm over both the height and weight limit.

13. Norton 357

I retired in '90 and the only thing I have raced since is a CB350.
    I do still love that feel of speed!

14. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Last time, it was 90 on the ground and very nipply at altitude. No getting around it.

15. Norton 357

The guy that I went with was cool and we did a complete roll over out of the plane. It was freaking awesome.
    I agree that those first few seconds out the door are the biggest rush.

16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

No thanks....I find ladders stressful. Up and down.

Went to the Empire State building's 80th floor observatory with the kid about 2 years ago on a NYC day trip...I could look out the windows...but looking down gave me the SERIOUS heebie jeebies.

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Every chance I get! I took 10 years off and now back in it. I've jumped Perris, Lake Elsinore and Florida in the past couple months. Laid out now because of my jacked up foot, but will be jumping again soon. Its a crazy sport!

Norton 357 likes this.
  18. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

I did not know you had to tandem jump before solos these days. Tandem seems a little g-y, not that there is anything wrong with that. Back in 1989 I did about 6 solo static line jumps and two free fall with me pulling the cord, never tandem. Had to climb from the Cesna door and hang on the wing strut and go into hard X position then jumpmaster let you go, that was nerve wracking! Also the flight to 5000 feet took forever, old pilot wearing just speedo swim trunks! Friend described skydiving as cutting your wrists and seeing if you bleed to death before you get to a doctor.

19. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Shite gets real when the door opens....

bte.jpg

After a LeeRoy Jenkins and 2 tumbles later...

usd.jpg

tj2.jpg

Got a video from pre flight to landing beside the runway.

https://piedmontskydiving.com/

Norton 357 likes this.
  20. Norton 357

I actually feel more at risk driving around Atlanta. The guys at Skydive Key West were pros and I felt good about jumping there