1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Italy

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Wife and I were all around Naples, Rome, Florence, Milan in Sep. 2019. Did a bunch of the tourist stuff around Rome. Which were extremely crowded but worth it. My favorite was visiting the Duomo in Florence. We attended a mass and there might have been 20 people in attendance but it was magnificent. Italy is just fantastic and I cant wait to go back. Hoping for post Covid travel..

2. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Seems like the majority of us went to Italy in 2019, that was the time the euro to a dump to the dollar. Italy was dirt cheap!

3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Gah just spent an hour reading articles on Bologna restaurants... got room for one more? :D

Seriously, the times I went as a tourist we ate everything not nailed down and lost weight because we walked our legs off... I'm jealous!

4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Sign me up! That place looks amazing.

cpettit likes this.
  5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

If I were to retire in Italy I am pretty sure that it would be in Florence. I really enjoyed my time there. We flew in to Rome and took the train to Florence then did some excursions from there.

6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Yep I was there in 2019 too.

7. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I'm surprised by all the recommendations for Florence.
    When I was there in 1978 it was very dirty.
    Def the worst place I went to in Italy.
    I'm glad it's gotten better.

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Couldn't be dirtier than Naples.

cpettit and Phl218 like this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah, the trash pickup there is on permanent strike

motion likes this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If your not touring Europe courtesy of Uncle Sam, then Rick Steves is your go to guy for info. Yes he 2 first names. But dont let that stop you. Iv'e had good luck with his guides and out of the way places.

11. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

Milan Cathedral is in the middle of Milan. Its worth a look. The building was started in 1386 and finished in 1965.

12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

The city where the sewers have diving boards.

Triple X and motion like this.
  13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya. We were there in May of 2019 and stayed pretty close to Ponte Vecchio. Clean, laid back, people were friendly and the food was good. But I guess alot can change in 41 years.:D

rd400racer and Triple X like this.
  14. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Grandpa liked Naples and Florence...early 1945.

Triple X and Itey like this.
  15. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Me too...but we go almost every other year.

We based out of Florence and did the big Tuscany circle, San Gimingano, Cinque Terra, Luca, then up to Venice, Rimini, the San Marino GP, then back to Florence via the Ducati/Ferrari factories.

Probably move to Florence for most of the year within the next few years.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Are you 'Murrican? How are you getting an Italian visa? I would love to get a place way down south... maybe Sicily... for the warmer temps in the fall/spring.

17. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Are you looking for an Elective residence visa or are you intending on working?

Do you or your wife have EU nationality?

If you want to do it - don't hold back, like all things in Italy, a little money and who you know goes a long way.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

No work, no EU nationality. I have some connections there, so perhaps when the time comes things can happen.

19. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

Crap.
    That's where I was thinking.
    Naples.

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Don't worry... Naples is still a dump after all these years!

Triple X likes this.