1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about exhaust and noise level

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by bdoc525, Jan 11, 2022.

1. bdoc525

bdoc525 Member

I am preparing my bikes for my first race with Wera in March and I have a question about the exhaust. Obviously there are noise limits and what not but specifically , what I am worried about is that on my 89 gsxr750 I used a hot bodies MGP growler exhaust can. To me it seems pretty loud, Has anybody seen these at the track or know of any problems with them passing tech for sound? Any help appreciated. ! Thanks

2. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

youll be racing one of the wera vintage classes? easy way to know if your bike is “noise legal” is find out if ahrma races at the track, if so you should be good. half of those ahrma bikes sound like exhaust less clap traps. nothing you can do to your bike to make it louder then one of those 70’s honda twins. only track ive raced at where noise limits are enforced is canaan nh. the manager there doesnt use a decible meter. he drives uptop the hill and uses his eyes and ears. then at the riders meating informs the honda twin bikes to put a muffler on it

3. bdoc525

bdoc525 Member

Sound good to me!! Lol

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Roebling has someone measure the noise along the front straight.

No clue on that particular exhaust sorry.

5. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

laguna also have checks

6. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

@bdoc525 , I've used that exhaust. I was told, more than once, that my bike was loud along the front straights at several tracks. Watching a video of me compared to other bikes whizzing by, I agreed. Still, the question of whether it is too loud or not, I cannot answer. The exhaust looks good though!

7. bdoc525

bdoc525 Member

Thanks for the replies. I’m going to look for another slip on and keep around just in case. Thanks again!

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

9. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Doesn't Ahrma race at RRR?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes. They have to meet the noise levels too.

11. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

Man I have no idea how. It is brutally loud when AHRMA is there.

cyclocrossfool likes this.
  12. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

what i was trying to point out in post #2.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No idea, but it is measured.

14. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

AHRMA had been clamping down on noise recently.

15. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I thought Decibel Dave only picks on Thumpers. :D