1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone actually come back?

Discussion in 'General' started by twodocs, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

Understand this, I am in the same situation with all my bikes
    Crashed in an AHRMA race back in April and had to spend months in the hospital/surgery and not able to work while trying to get my brain back to normal

I really want to keep going and return to riding & racing but the wife wants me to just sell everything and find something new to enjoy away from motorcycles

I’m going to start working on rebuilding and try to just find a little bike just to try and see if I can actually ride again

BigBird likes this.
  2. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Keep one...at least.

BigBird likes this.
  3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I quit racing 10 years ago when I had kids. Kept my bike in the hopes that one day the VRRA would add a p5 class, and I'd dust it off to race Mosport (10 min drive) once a year. Well they added P5 2 years ago, and my bike still sits in the same spot. I still love motorcycle racing, I just don't have that switch flipped inside me like I used to, to go out and DO it. I haven't even ridden a dirt bike aside from the pw80 I just bought for the kids last year. I'll probably pick up a little trail bike this year and ride with them, but I don't have the itch to race or do trackdays anymore. Been there, done that, and have filled the void in my life with other stuff like golf, fishing, and trying to get a home business off the ground. I wouldn't have the time, nor money to get into it again even if I wanted to.

I just still can't bring myself to sell the bikes and gear though. More out of laziness, than any sentimental or monetary attachment. lol If someone were to just show up with some cash I'd fill their trailer with every part and piece I've horded over the years just to get it out of here.

4. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

I quit racing AHRMA in 2009 when my doctor temporarily put me on blood thinners, figured not a good idea then. Didn't go back as I realized I was still running the same lap times (not very competitive) in the previous 6 years, just didn't have the urge. I just checked, only rode about 500 miles total on the street last year on 3 bikes. Time to sell the FJR, will probably keep 3 Bridgestones just for nostalgic reasons. Just no reason to keep bikes unless for emotional attachment, move on to other things.

5. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Something tells me you don't own Hondas.

OldSwartout likes this.
  6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Down to 11 myself, just moved the Y2K R1 last month. Asked the boy, when he was home for Thanksgiving, which of the collection he wanted me to keep for him. He surprised me by asking for junkiest of the bunch...go figure. Bikes I bought new and kept for nearly 40 years always have a home. Ones I bought used cause they were something I wanted many many years ago...that feeling seems to have past what with actually owning them. I'll keep a couple for the grand kids to bomb around on and a couple for me...the rest (minus the track bikes)are going up for sale. This ought to get me down to about 6.

7. joec

joec brace yourself

Ps....any ducati makes for great mooring anchor. :)

Pixelator and SGVRider like this.
  8. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

If the bikes are holding you back in some way (storage, costs, space whatever) then get rid of them and use those resources to pursue whatever your new/other/replacement hobby is.

I tend to go through this every year in the winter, especially having two very young kids, but mostly because most of my 'riding friends' completely gave it up after kids. It's hard to get the motivation to get everything ready for the first race/trackday of the year and I think "Do I do this because I really enjoy it, or do I do it because I just always have?" And I try to pickup other hobbies, but none really seem to stick long term and I'm always happy I've never sold the bikes.

Once I get back to the track with friends, it all comes back and it's the best thing ever.

Moral of the story - riding bikes is fun, but spending time with the friends is really the reward. Do whatever your group of buddies is into. If they're good friends, you won't have a bad time. And when bikes come back around (if) get back into it and you'll love it all over again.

BigBird and Wingnut like this.
  9. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Exactly, If you couldn't replace it, keep it. Otherwise, Send it.
    There is something to be said for having 1 or two sitting there.
    Think of it like guns, rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. esp. if money is not the issue.

969 likes this.
  10. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Reveal your list of machines... The Beeb will determine which machines(s) you should keep

chobes, Pixelator, DmanSlam and 5 others like this.
  11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

All the guys I used to race with I now shoot guns with.
    And we all ride bicycles together too.

SGVRider likes this.
  12. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

I wish you ol hoarders would let some of these machines breath fresh air again. Let some of us young folk (Im43) have a shot at playing with them .

You don’t have to sell them , just let someone else ride, race or care for it for a while .

Some of you guys could probably show up at a track and have whole fleet to rent out .

13. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I’ll always have to have at least one bike in the garage so I can still call myself a motorcycle rider.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  14. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Lookin for a cheap touring bike like gold wing or sport tourer.

15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

This.

Though the boy did just ask if I could put slicks on his 50 so he could go to the kart track.

Well hell fuckin yeah I can!!!

vfrket, Dan Dubeau, SGVRider and 4 others like this.
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I was there recently and then saw a couple more I had to have. Figured that was good enough. Then two weeks ago saw another I've always wanted. Now I need to make a 9 hour drive one way to pick it up. It's a sickness I say:D

OldSwartout and YamahaRick like this.
  17. eggfooyoung

I found a 1988 CR 125 that I've been searching for. Going tomorrow to get it...

rd400racer and YamahaRick like this.
  18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Move on. Sell the bikes, use the money for another hobby. You can come back to it. I haven’t had a bike for a few years, but I still have the desire to ride. I still love racing and anything with an engine. I’ve also cut way back on bicycling because I’d rather spend time with the kids.

With kids etc. it’s just not in the cards at the immediate moment, so I do other things with them.

Get a jeep or other 4x4 vehicle, pile the kids in and go for some off-road adventures. You can enjoy your family and gearhead shit at the same time. It won’t be the same thing as cornering at 150 mph, but you can learn to enjoy it just as much by sharing your passion with those chilluns. With 6 bikes if they’re in any kind of decent shape, you should be able to buy a decent rig outright with plenty money leftover.

Your kids are only young once, and the timeframe where they’ll want to always spend time with daddy is short. We’re not going to be professional racers, taking a break for 10 - 15 years to pursue other interests isn’t going to make a lick of difference. You’re only making a mistake if you give up the bikes and don’t fill it with other passions.

If you truly love motorcycles, you’ll find your way back to it when the time is right. Hopefully with more $$ to make up for diminished reflexes and extra weight. :flag:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Pixelator and Seiko like this.
  19. eggfooyoung

GREAT post! We think alike in this regard, for sure.

I think a wake boat is in my future for the very reasons in your post.

20. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Go ahead and plan for a set of wheels to save yourself some effort swapping back and forth