1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone actually come back?

Discussion in 'General' started by twodocs, Jan 10, 2022.

1. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Thinking about selling my 6 bikes.

Not needing money, but can’t seem or want to ride anymore.

2 young kids, went to races every year consecutive for 17 years. We/I stopped caring.

Now into boats. (Even selling everything wouldn’t cover the cost of my current boat.)

Regret or move on?

Held onto older bikes as didn’t need or want the money, but can’t see the future. Thought I’d just keep them forever, but seeing them everyday gives me mixed feelings. Wife’s bike hasn’t been started in 5 years.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

there will ALWAYS be new bikes to buy in the future if the itch arises... unless you have some kind of sentimental attachment to them.

Many friends have moved into boats or side by sides because you can always bring a spectator friend or 2.
    Not many can turn motorcycling into a family hobby...

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Yup, theres always another bike. Just bought one last fall after a few years away. It comes and goes with me, but if you’re not feeling it, don’t push it.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've never felt that way about motorcycles and I'm going on my 54th year of riding. But I am that way about guns right now. I've collected them since my first one at 12 years old, but I haven't fired one in almost two years. I could buy a fun sports car for what I'm not using. Yet they take up little room and don't have insurance payments, require maintenance etc. As suggested, if there's no sentimental attachment, sell them.

BigBird likes this.
  5. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

It depends on the bike .. I sold a 72 Kawasaki H2 750 Denco way back in the late 70’s .. I still regret that decision.., :(

BigBird and YamahaRick like this.
  6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

H2 750 w/ Denco pipes ... the sound ...

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  7. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

. I’ve seen that before .., love it !! Thanks for making a 66 year old man Cry … hope you are proud of yourself :D

BigBird and YamahaRick like this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Last time I threw a leg over a bike and rolled on public roads was 2016.

No ragrets. Priorities change, interests evolve, circumstances put the fucks to hare brained ideas you had when your hairline was lower.

Ain’t no thang. Do what makes you happy.

SGVRider and BigBird like this.
  9. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Could always just keep one.

BigBird, Raceless man and rd400racer like this.
  10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Whatcha got? Collectibles or bikes that should be ridden?

11. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Follow your boner.

Scotty87, iagsxr, SGVRider and 4 others like this.
  12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Keep the gear and a bike for the track it'll come back most likely

BigBird, DmanSlam and baconologist like this.
  13. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

One of my buddies is going through this now, is pretty much done racing but would like to keep stuff in case he gets the track day itch. Fully built Livengood R6 with all the goodies.

I told him, sell the R6 while the market is good. If you want to ride again in the future, get one of the new bikes with all the whiz bang electronics, do suspension, and just go ride. Instead of screwing with gearing and cans of U4 and shitloads of spares for track days.

14. joec

joec brace yourself

Then race it in VINTAGE! I've been bitten by the little boat bug. 2 person ex Olympic class boat and grabbed a sunfish ro crash around on when I can't wrangle a crew..the little boats are like racing lw or minis..you buy waaay too much fun stuff but eventually draw the line at some crazy thing..I hope..:) it is nice though to not have to drive 5 hrs to have fun like to ride the race bike. I only miss roadtrips street riding but I'm rhinking about finding a street sv650....still have the racebike in the living room.behind the couch..I *really* hope to get back to mosport again soon. And I have a debt to pay loudon.

BigBird likes this.
  15. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I stepped away for 6 years when we had kids. Almost sold the track bike at one point but thankfully the buyer backed out. Been doing track days on it again for the past 4 years.

BigBird likes this.
  16. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Sell all 6 bikes.
    Buy 4 dual sports/ dirt bikes of appropriate sizes
    Have family fun

Dom17 and SGVRider like this.
  17. joec

joec brace yourself

Sell all the bikes, buy a couple cases of beer some steaks and fill the boat tanks, then think back if all the fun you had at the track was worth a couple cases of beer some steaks and a weekend of boat fuel.. im.gonna say no..keep the racebike. Sell the rest..the track will always be there.

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Unless you have something that's truly rare, sell 'em and move forward. Alternatively, keep one and sell the rest.
    I reached the point where it wasn't fun to be at the track, so I knew it was time.
    You can always come back to newer, updated versions at a later point should you choose or if you re-kindle that passion for the track/racing.

SpeedWerks Racing likes this.
  19. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I kept my vintage racer. It's not eating anything, and as long as I still have it I can tell myself that I'm just on a break, rather than done.

BigBird likes this.
  20. flewid

flewid Well-Known Member

If money isn't an issue and storage isn't a problem and you just get mixed feelings then so what? I'd keep them....great conversation pieces that also provide great memories that can also make new memories if/when you decide to do so...all the women in my life have decorative throw pillows you can't sit on, sleep on or touch and provide zero happy memories nor do they spark conversations yet they keep them and those are fucking useless.

I quit riding because I'd burned out. Too many trips not enough variety. Got into the track and renewed my interest

BigBird likes this.