1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica 2022 silly season

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Without a tow around NASCAR 3-4 from 3 0r 4 other like top end bikes a 51 is pretty good. And yes test in Jan, hold your cards close to your chest and wait for March and throw on a Q!

2. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

The drama / bitch fest in Supersport is going to be a sport of its own! But, I think these growing pains will be better in the long run.

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

AHRMA doesn't have any classes for I-4's

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Well shit that makes sense

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

fixed.:D

Gino230 likes this.
  6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I bought my GPZ750 brand new, so it's modern, dammit!

koth442 and Gino230 like this.
  7. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

One shock, or two ?

8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

This is going to be very interesting year in SS. My money in on Escalante though.

9. 713

713 Well-Known Member

149.8 was the fastest lap I saw on race monitor.

10. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I like that the rules are getting experimented with, so I'll start with that..

My concern/question is this: Wouldn't it be more "cost effective" for a team to just basically go after one of the higher displacement bikes? I understand that MA/FIM is allowing the 600cc guys to run a lot of aftermarket components. However, wouldn't that drastically increase the costs? Not only just for rebuilds, but for all the dyno/tuning/testing time needed for what I'm assuming would lead to more "peaky" powered bikes for the smaller displacement teams? (again I could be off here) Also, just by using the law of averages, it would seem that these 600-636 guys are going to be hurting more engines? I know a lot of engine technology and quality is incredible these days..

Just a curiosity I guess.. We will see how the season goes.

11. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I did hear that dyno numbers are about the same between the gsxr 750 (with specified ECU) and the modified R6 with all the bells and whistles.

12. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Is M4 going to run 750's? (I looked briefly at the rules and it doesn't seem they will be able to.)

If so, I would think Lochoff and Richie are gunna be a real pain in the ass.. I could be way off here, but if your taking the 2021 championship winning chassis/team and allowing them to stuff 150cc's of extra displacement between the mounts, that about as good of a recipe you can get for a full on ass whooping.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. grasshopper

I was just skimming through the updated rule book and I can't find any specifics on what they are allowing as far as mods for the 750.

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

So that was Herrin I guess?

SDK did a 48.8 on a Q last year, fastest race lap last year was Passch with a 49.7. Absolute track record is a 45.9 but of course Mesa on a big bike

henry_carlson likes this.
  15. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Herrin in 2020 beat the record at 1:48.331 in the 2nd qualify but that got taken away from him when the bike failed to past tech and came under weight.

Regardless he does fly there and will again but don't think he'll win or even finish it. IMO

16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Certainly everyone in contention for the 200 win on a new gen bike will be smart enough to make it a freight train finish. I wouldn’t want to be on a 600 in that group. So attack will try to run away with the race from the go and with Jake’s form he’ll have a good shot at that.

I’d bet on Richard adding to his 200 win list. The Alabama boys with Richie on a 750 will be lethal. And Ducati can send all the Mario’s they can but they’ll have to stop by Ireland and get some lucky charms to win again like they did with Disalvo.

The season will be interesting as some talented teams with some neat equipment. Doubtful any privateers can go better on a new gen bike compared to a good R6. Anyone messing with cams and more mid range are just wasting time with that bottom end and chassis. It is as good as it gets, run it.

Dano711 and grasshopper like this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Not relevant because he wasn't on a legal bike, but it was Herrin and probably on a Q. Race tire lap times are what count and especially at Daytona

18. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Escalante's on a 750?

19. grasshopper

With the "Assumption" Team Hammer fields a 750

20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I suspect there are way more man-hours in starting from scratch with a new ECU than re-tuning your existing bike for new cams. The way I think of it - you can either throw all your maps away or you can make small tweaks to each of them. So your cost comparison may only be correct if we assume the old bikes will run the new spec-ECU. They (the old bikes) are not required to do so yet, so I doubt everyone will.

Of course, this will change if/when people develop baseline setups for the spec ECU. Buying a setup from Attack for the R6 may help out a bunch of teams soon.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022