1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I was skeptical initially as well with GB but when your seeking out specific firearms. It rocks! I will say that if the shipper provides you a choice of shipping options, don't skimp on price.

2. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

The allowance of the rifle caliber pistols have basically made the SBR law useless. Then allowing the shouldering of said pistol really drove the point home to where now they realize there’s a problem. Who could’ve seen that coming. EVERYONE
    As far as spot inspections shops get them and I suppose it’s happened at ranges and homes but would that is houndstooth rare. I’ve used my AR pistol shouldered at the range numerous times.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Also always use credit card on GB. They have zero support. I’ve had to cancel the transaction through my card twice but I’ve got a ton off that site.

4. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Was lazy and sat in a stand today. 200+ hog down with 7mm rem mag. DRT . New rifle is sweeet! If you look closely on left spoke above the water to the right is a dark spot.
    [​IMG]

jrsamples, wera313 and RonR like this.
  5. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Friend of mine wants a varmint AR. He’s a lefty and wanted me to find him something. I looked for a while and told him it’d be more cost effective to build one. Spending other people’s money to build a rifle just how you’d want it ( within reasonable budget and lefty) is so much fun. Can’t wait to get the parts in and get to work. It’s going to blow his mind.

6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Surely using an 80%, correct?

7. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

:crackup:Remember those videos where testing the pistols, the man wouldn't show himself shooting from the shoulder? Even then, I thought, that's some really dumb shit.

8. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

To me it’s not worth the effort.

9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

thanks for the input. :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I've been looking at these 3 rifles. Something I don't have to build and, for all 3, can customize as I go along. I have other firearms in larger caliber so, just looking to play with a 22-calibered firearm. Plus, I might be able to get the younger some practice on it.

Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport II .556/.223

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Sport 22 LR Rifle with Red-Green Dot Optic

Ruger 10/22 Takedown

Thoughts?

11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'd go with a classic regular 10/22 or an AR with a cmmg .22 kit. The 10/22 has a huge aftermarket and proven reputation. If you go AR, a complete lower and upper from PSA and or Bear Creek or the like gives you the flexibility to run it as .22 or several other calibers with minimal costs. I don't see any reason to pay the same or more for a 15/22 that can only do .22

DmanSlam and RonR like this.
  12. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Well a 223 is not really in the same category as the 22lr so picking from those 3 would depend on use of firearm over the years. Between the two 22s I’d get the 10/22 all day long. Standard not take down. They are so little to begin with you really don’t need to take it apart. As stated above the aftermarket is huge and super easy to do most of the work. As for the m&p 15 sport 2 I’m not a fan of that set up. I like a flat top all the way out to about 1” short of barrel end. Also don’t like the front post sight. It will not play well with some optics.

DmanSlam likes this.
  13. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I've got the first two you listed and they've been really good and trouble free. The regular AR was my gateway drug and is still my favorite. I've built 5 or 6 since I got that one. All with PSA stuff and been just as pleased. I'm sure the higher end brands are slightly better but I just shoot for fun so it works for me. I do t shoot the .22 much because when it comes out, EVERYBODY has to run at least 200 rounds through it. It doesn't seem to discriminate on ammo. It cycles anything I put through it.

DmanSlam likes this.
  14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

So does anyone have a PTR-9ct? Thinking about getting one and was wondering if anyone had any feedback one way or the other. I have a couple AR-9s. I just dig that this has a different operation. I would look at MP5s but man they are expensive! Plus I’m thinking about maybe going SBR with it. if I decide to really go crazy they make a sear kit too. Maybe suppress it and have a 2 stamper.
    https://ptr-us.com/product/9c-[​IMG]

15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

A customer got one a while back and had it about a week and sent it back. The more he got into it the worse he thought it was. See if you can find some reviews on YT

dobr24 likes this.
  16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

You may also want to consider POF (Pakistan Ordnance Firearms) as they use the HK Tooling.
    I don't recall if MKE is imported by PTR, but if not, you may want to look for MKE - Turkish version of the MP5

17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

The only POF I could find was on GB and started at $4500!
    MKE is imported by Atlantic Firearms. Theirs does not get as good reviews.

18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I've been to a few IDPA matches and really enjoy them. They are a great way to get out of the house in the winter months when it's hard to ride, and you still get a feeling of competition. That said, I wasn't really doing it for the competition side of it. I just wanted to put myself in a strenuous situation where I was required to draw from concealment and acquire proper targets. I feel like if I was going to carry, then I owe it to the world to be somewhat trained to do so effectively.

For our local IDPA matches, you get to try 7-8 different scenarios, each with a little backstory to enact. You always draw from concealment, even if it is as simple as a jacket or vest over your weapon. There will always be at least one mag change per scenario. At our local club, they have all kinds of moving/hidden targets you have to find. They have stuff like shooting a metal target that releases a standard IPDA cardboard target that is on a little trolley that you have to shoot while it moves down a track, before it eventually hides behind something. They had one where you would sit at a table, have to pick up a bag with your off hand, then engage multiple moving targets single handed from the seated position. It's a blast and really forces you to think and respond quickly and safely.

sanee and Gorilla George like this.
  19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Just to piggy back . . . IDPA has a class for ALL types of compact firearms likely to be concealed carried. The rules account for the number of rounds the firearm can hold.