1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone switch to racing minis exclusively?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Senna, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

After relocating to CO this year and having quite a few kart tracks and a strong mini race series well within driving distance, I've been toying with the idea of swapping over to racing minis exclusively.

Has anyone in here done this after racing "big" bikes for a while? Did it still scratch the itch pretty well?

2. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Perhaps CO is different, but in my opinion, it's a different kind of "itch". So my answer would be 'no' to your second question. I know of riders who have switched, though, and their reasons fall into a few, predictable categories. I can count on one hand the number of adults who are uber-serious about small bike racing. Pseudo-regulars, yes. Serious, no.

Senna likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Clarence took it serious... lol.
    Um its basically seat time. If you have kart tracks nearby and can attend numerous events & its fun for you... then why not??
    At the very least you can keep your ride fitness up as you can turn 100-150 laps on a mini for a good workout.

DmanSlam likes this.
  4. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

This sounds like a guy I ran into. No, wait, he ran into me unapologetically... :Poke:

5. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Racing is racing.....they're both fun.

I do mostly MiniGP practice days...I'll toss my hat in the races once in a while. In fact, tossing my hat into mini racing was kind of what got me interested in actually
    entering a big bike race as well in 2020. I'd stuck to track days before that.

I also mostly stick to mini practice days because on race day I pit for my son, and I'd rather the day be focused on his program on race day.
    I ride an Ohvale 190 in mini, so it's fun talking trash to the kids in the Ohvale class. I know I weigh almost 3 times as much as some of them, so
    I don't have much of a chance, but how much fun is it jawing with a 12 year old? It's always fun to see what they come back with.

Senna likes this.
  6. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Any seat time is a good time.
    $250/day for big bike track vs $500/season Kart track pass. Sounds good to me, so long as I don't think about the spending more money on another bike part.

RRP likes this.
  7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Fixed.

8. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I finally did my first mini race this year at Sandy Hook. My friends have a team called “Safety Third”, and had been bugging me to give it a try. I raced in the 100 limited class I think it was called. I didn’t win anything, but got progressively faster, and but passed a few guys in the main. At 6’2” and 230# I’m at a big disadvantage to the little fellas, but it was still great fun.

Thinking hard about picking up an xr100 and jumping in next season.

9. StaccatoFan

Come down to DMVMiniGP as well. It's just by Arundel Mills. Practice on weekends from 8-12 in the morning was like $60 this season.
    We did some racing at Sandy Hook in 2018 0r 2019, but Alex hasn't wanted to go back since. He's just not a fan of the SH hook track layout. If
    they're running on a weekend I have him, I've offered to take him up and let him run...he says, "Nah...I'll pass Dad." Sucks because I like Rob Miller and
    he runs a decent event, too.

10. TurboBlew

Sometimes if there is enough racers some orgs break out a Heavyhitters/clydesdale class for racers over 200lbs.
    The 100s are fun but Id probably look for a TTR being a taller guy. Same power as a 100 little better chassis. The TTR is not as cramped.
    Typically the CRF/XR 100/TTR 125/ Grom, Z125 are all bench marked the same if they are "stock". I would look at whatever orgs rules youre racing and go from there.
    You can upsize the bars & seat on a 100 so its big guy friendly...

My favorite mini class is the stock 100. Obviously a 120lb kid will be faster than a 240lb adult BUT you wont be getting lapped if you can keep them to about 2 seconds a lap lead.
    You cant afford to make mistakes & you can certainly capitalize on other riders making some. The whole point is its supposed to be fun & relatively safe.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  11. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Rob seems like a good dude, ex flattracker. Was very welcoming to me on my first weekend.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  12. StaccatoFan

He is...No question.

13. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Yeah I need to check out a TTR. I’ve only ridden XR’s and they make decent power, but I’m super cramped and the brakes aren’t the greatest.

14. TurboBlew

more than likely just needs a new front brake cable, drum cleaned/lubed and a larger lever on the rear drum. With them working well you can endo. Its simple mechanical stuff. The ttr comes with a front disc but youll need to upgrade the pads.

15. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Love mini moto. Both my wife and me do it and its a blast. I still roadrace a big sumo and race real supermoto but mini's might be the most fun you can have on a bike. mini.jpg

StaccatoFan and Senna like this.
  16. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Yes, it was great fun to be had with the kids. However they became much more quicker and things began to break or they would often have a off. Running around in leathers fixing things or going on a track for a downed kid in full leathers became to much to keep up with.

I often wonder how much more popular moto racing would be if people started in mini's before hitting the big track. I've seen so many times someone's ambition exceeded their actual talent or unwilling to put in the work to keep a big bike track / racing program going. Then you end up seeing all their bikes, parts and equipment being sold for pennies than what they purchased for.

One of the best things I think you can do is mentor and coach a kid at the mini track. When they first start out, beating the "bigs" is so important to them.

17. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Where did ya land in CO? After I got my track gixxer, I found out that I'm only 15 minutes from IMI. Took the gix out for some testing and saw this ripper.
    moto smaller.jpg

It's too small for a fatty like me but looks like it would be a ton of fun!

Senna likes this.
  18. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I’m down in the tri-lakes area. SBR is the closest but IMI isn’t a bad drive.

19. Michael J

Michael J Trackster and aspiring dirtbiker

I’ve ridden the TTR125 bikes they use at SoCal Supermoto. One comparison to make is the tires. Most Minis are on 12” wheels. The SSM bikes are on 17” Dunlop shod wheels. The larger wheels are not as agile but they have another level of stability and grip. Irregularities in the pavement (cracks), small bumps, and sealer are less unsettling with the larger wheels. I liked the difference vs the one I rode with 12” wheels.

Larger diameter wheels will change the gearing of the bike since the circumference is greater. If getting a TTR look at what size wheels it has as a dirtbike. There are small and large sizes. Depending on how the wheels are changing, plan to change sprockets to compensate and get the setup right.

20. Michael J

Michael J Trackster and aspiring dirtbiker

These are the “Literbike of Minis” addicting levels of power. The conversing to smaller wheels throws the gearingbway off. My Buddies 150R could not put a rear sprocket on that was small enough to make it work on our longest straight. It was redline 1/2 way down the straight with many more shifts all over the track. Also was easy to overwhelm the chassis with the torque from the gearing. Better engine than any ohvale has.
    It just needs 17” wheels to fix the gearing. One of my favorite minibikes! Will likely have and race one eventually if the used bike market recovers.