1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 r6 rebuild

Discussion in 'General' started by 3Dr, Dec 4, 2021.

1. 3Dr

3Dr Member

Im going to rebuild my motor this winter. I have 1 slightly damaged piston. I am trying to decide if i should go with a stock or a set of Je or Cp. Mainly to bump compression a little more. I have been running it with a decked head and .045mm head gasket for 2 years.
    I have to keep basically everything stock. Im allowed to change pistons, and cams.
    Is it worth switching pistons? If so which ones?
    Thinking about cams also.
    Micro sprint
    Dirt track
    Alcohol

2. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I’ve always had good luck with J.E. pistons.

Still, this seems appropriate.
    3C28FF26-BBA1-4026-95E4-370B21248FC1.jpeg

TurboBlew and tony 340 like this.
  3. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

You race it? If you want to stay SS legal keep to the stockers.

If not go full tilt and build her to the moon... nows not the time to pussy foot around.

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Attached Files:

TurboBlew, 418 and svracer22 like this.
  5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Ohh you know he's gonna wanna bag those WERA championships eventually. Gotta help a guy plan ahead :)

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  6. 3Dr

3Dr Member

Im mainly looking for real world experience or if im lucky dyno experience. Will i gain anything by going aftermarket? Even a hp or 2. Seems like the cr of the pistons are about the same and aftermarket are sightly heavier. I can get stock pistons for $60 ea. Aftermarkets are $200 ea. Should i just buy the cams instead?

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Cams are definitely worth more than pistons

8. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

um I doubt anyone is running alcohol or in a micro sprint series so Id probably ask one of the many shops that do those types of builds. You can make ALOT of power with stock parts and get good service life out of them.
    Just get a good scale and balance everything properly. Not sure whats allowed in microsprint but a lightened stator is fairly inexpensive to cut. Cams will allow more torque to be made on stock displacement. Coatings could
    be another avenue Id explore. Lastly ceramic trans bearings.

10. 3Dr

3Dr Member

Yea thats what im thinking. If i could get another point or even half point of cr with pistons i wouldn't even be asking. But i dont see any advantage going with different pistons.
    Wheres the best/cheapest place to get rebuild kits. Oem

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

stadium yamaha was the cheapest last time I ordered valve train components a couple years ago. Partszilla may be cheaper but you might not get your parts for months.

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Adams performance in Mooresville NC is a great micro sprint builder and works on bike engines too Incase you looking for a builder

13. 3Dr

3Dr Member

I know Adams. Thank you. I had a highly recommended builder do one for me. Lasted about 30 min. Now i do my own. Lol im more involved than most people. Plus im cheap ha. Just looking for people experiences.

noles19 likes this.