1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohvale 190 class?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Renato G, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

Plenty of places in the midwest to get competitive mini racing.

In a 150cc 4 stroke limit class, I wouldn't build an air-cooled bike and hope to be competitve.

We run a F superstock legal bike in F, E, D and 400.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    StaccatoFan likes this.
  2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

THANK YOU Mr. V! Hope Hank's doing well. He's a fine young man.

As far as middle America mini racing...one thing I do know...OMRL sucks.

Sean has said he is going to change the mini rules for 22. You provided your inputs in post 12 and I did in post 13.
    There's been a shit ton of new mini platforms on the scene in the last couple years. He's adding the Talent Cup to the mix in 22 as well.

If you're so worried about spec platforms so everything is super equal as far as equipment, the Talent cup and the MotoAmerica Mini Cup are now established.

voss555 likes this.
  3. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Now think I know who you are!
    OMRL sucks?
    Don't you have a itch with the Florida mini's org also?

Yea, I'm the guy who helped you bump start your kids sick Oh-vale minutes before gridding up. Then offered to fix your carb after the race. BTW, Mikuni or Klien best way to go. Not sure why Oh-vale uses those crap chines carbs.

If you really knew me I'm not much on spec bikes / racing. I like different manufactures on near identical CC limits. Kind of like the stated rules that are published in the WERA rule book. Kids read it to make sure they were within the rules. We have been protested over some technicalities with other orgs. We learned ignorance is not a excuse! :crackup:

But if you think you are preparing a child for a future by putting them on a bike with 10hp over the rest of the field and winning by a half of lap or more then keep on keeping on. :beer:

4. FastByKids

Yea, we have plans to run some round with a couple Midwest mini orgs. Apparently they already knew we were coming! :cool:

Oddly we have been very successful running those air cooled engines! When the 190's don't show up!:Poke:

5. voss555

Probably more fitting structure to the bikes that are out there-

Mini 80
    Air cooled 4stroke to 190cc
    Liquid cooled 4 stroke to 150cc
    2 stroke to 105cc
    Mini 50
    Air cooled 4 stroke to 143cc
    2 stroke to 65cc

StaccatoFan likes this.
  6. StaccatoFan

No issue with anything in Florida...I've never raced there. I know the Correa's run it, and they're a branch off NJ MiniGP, and that's a tight ship.

The Ohvale Alex had there was electric start (110 auto). No bump start needed, so you may be mistaken. And he never rode his Ohvale anywhere but Circleville the day he got it with OMRL
    I wouldn't let him ride it at Pitt....not mixed in with adults...there's where the shit show is at OMRL. At least it was in 2020, maybe they've made changes in 21 forward that improved things.

Never seen a more poorly run race organization. Even DMVMiniGP with their slightly disheveled work in progress getting their shit together
    rag tag team their first season was better than OMRL. OMRL has no kids classes past the 50 class. After their first year, DMV worked with NJMiniGP to figure out how
    to make things better, and their program has vastly improved in the last 2 years.

How much does it cost to have a small 1st, 2nd, 3rd award for your finishers in each class? We've raced Sandy Hook north of Baltimore, NJMiniGP, WERA, and DMVMiniGP aside from OMRL....OMRL was the ONLY one that didn't have a little presentation of awards at the end of the day for the class podium finishers. Is that being cheap, lazy or both? Cannot be cheap because I know someone that offered to pay for awards and only wanted to be mentioned as a sponsor to the awards.

There's potential there, though...align the classes with Florida/DMV and NJ, and since OMRL races at Pitt, they could have a stop at Pitt that would attract racers from PA/MD/NY/IN/MN/IL and maybe even Florida as part of their MiniGP National Series where each track hosts a round that counts towards National points standings. That might attract more racers to all the individual programs as well. It may counter Mongo's evil plans to destroy road racing in America like he has been doing for the last few years according to what everyone else is saying. ;-) NJ hosted their National this year at NY Race Complex in Morristown, NY...and that track is a gorgeous layout. The paddock is evolving...but the layout is like Pitt's...a combination of fast flowing and technical.

7. StaccatoFan

Only thing I'd add is some limitations on wheel size...like no wheels bigger than 12 inches for any mini class. Then you have some constraints on engine displacement as well as chassis.

Done with this discussion.....we'll live with the rule book for 2022.

voss555 likes this.
  8. FastByKids

Yup, I'm definitely mistaken, apologies. Three kids among five bikes plus a flood of traffic in our pits I often don't know up from down. :confused:

I like the Florida peeps, they fed me some good chili!

OMRL appears to have a great web site with a schedule of multiple tracks. But that's just a outsider looking in. However once kids start catching on its normal they race and beat the bigs rather regularly.

In Southern Cali the only kid races are for the CRF-50's. While I'm not a fan of Cali, it is definitely the place to get fast! Show up and run into Joe Roberts / John Hopkins / Josh Herrin / Toni Elias and a bunch of other talent. Practice would turn into a slug fest. Racing is a bit tougher and lets say physical. No one cared about your feelings!

TMPG (Texas) had the CRF-50 / Junior motard 110 class for kids. Was a bit more friendly and easier to acclimate. Luckily we started there first.

We ran another series in Texas that is now defunct and their was no kids class.

So I know some good people on the east coast have banded together and put in the effort to grow the sport and unite. But it's not the norm throughout the country. :cool:

9. FastByKids

Might of been dreaming but a little birdie told me that 190's on 10" wheels has fallen out of favor in the MotoA minicup.

Possible the safety factor of kids launching themselves to the moon on a short twitchy chassis is not good for business.

Something that was figured out in Europe long ago, hence the push for 12" 190 class. (Might be dreaming on that one also)

10. voss555

The 190 class change is public, there was an email sent out from MotoA a month ago.
    I go either way on the 160cc deal- yes allows Kayo's and OHV 160s. If 17" wheels allowed in Mini 80 then probably more so. That Corse frame with a CRF150 motor would be a monster.

FastByKids likes this.
  11. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

Here's the rules we're running in the PNW. They seem to be working well, with a few changes coming for '22, mostly related to aircooled 212cc 4v bikes being eliminated, and revising what used to be a YCF SM 150 spec class into a more comprehensive class for other bikes. Perhaps this will help a little.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, it's not a 65cc 2-stroke limit, it's an 85cc 2-stroke limit hence the name of the class. Just because no one is currently running one doesn't make them a moot point in rules discussions.

The rules are as follows in case you never looked at them -

Formula 80
    66cc to 85cc 2-stroke machines based on Formula rules
    126cc to 150cc 4-stroke machines based on Formula rules

I haven't changed them since the second season we started running minis. And most mini races on a long track are a snooze fest. Nature of the beast.

Yes I did allow the 190 Ohvale to be performance indexed into the class. Same as the technically illegal Ohvale 160. Might want to remind yourself and your kids that if I did what you wanted at the GNF you'd have all been DQ'd.

13. FastByKids

Nope, kids built 150cc to be class legal.

Same as we did in Vegas and Willow.

Parts are a nightmare but we pulled it off.

We already had this conversation in person. But you might of been busy running a show.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So you're telling me that you bought entirely new cylinders and pistons to decrease displacement by 5.5cc?

Sorry if I find that really hard to believe.

And you're correct, I do not remember talking about that part in person at all.

15. FastByKids

Daytona 150, very high compression. Your guy couldn't kick it over when princess stalled.

It's a very rare engine but we are blessed and lucky.

Parker actually had a Oh-vale engine but the cylinder marked 150cc. Technically a z155 but those have been running mini's for over two years without issue. I just didn't want to come with anything that said "160 cc" so I couldn't be protested.

And yes, we ended the conversation with kids building their own engines.

16. StaccatoFan

It's been over a year, but I think at some point in an email to Mongo I had asked to run my Ohvale 190 in the mini class just to run it.
    I didn't want to take any trophies away from the kids, I just wanted to ride my little pocket rocket at Nelson Ledges...and he was OK with it.
    I think the answer was "Run it yes, but I'm not going to score it."

But, the bike didn't arrive on time, so that never happened. OH well.

Besides, a 240 pound adult on an Ohvale 190 wouldn't be a fair evaluation...I just wanted to ride it at that point and Mongo was accommodating.

And again...Mongo's right. Mini's are a 4 lap snooze fest. It's competition..but it's not competition. It's more about giving the kids a chance to ride on and get
    some big track experience. We go to a WERA weekend, it's not all about me racing....he's included as well. Nobody, but apparently you...takes it that seriously.
    I appreciate the fact the Evelyne and Mongo and everyone else that's waiting for their race day to begin, is willing to give up the time to let the kids have their chance.
    After they do their thing, they're all about their scooters, roller blades, golf carts and their a wolf pack of shenanigans for the rest of the day...kids being kids.

Honestly, you're starting to sound like one of those ultra competitive Soccer/Football/L-Ghey/Basketball parents. And that's fine if that's your thing. Maybe stick to the MiniGP
    series' until your kids are more comfortable on the 17 inch wheel bikes maybe doing some track days to get comfortable, or whatever. You're the only one that gives a shit about
    5.5 cc's of displacement on a mini.

17. FastByKids

Obviously, you are not done. Jumping on the Sean bandwagon? You do know he will have a conversation face to face about him questioning my integrity and borderline calling me a liar? But that’s the person I am, if you have the sack to write something online you better back it up in person. And I can’t wait to personally talk to you. Snarkyness always seems to disappear.

Are you seriously going to throw stones at me? In this thread alone you got butthurt over an Org not catering to you about trophies, podiums and classes. You sound like a huge hypocrite. BTW, I’m originally from Ohio and had some conversations from people who race that Org defending against you. You sir should not throw stones at glass houses.

You really should know the person you are slinging mud at before making yourself look like a @ss. Here is an education for yourself. Hopefully you can contribute to the sport as much as we have.

1. Our team started the 10” mini gp scene in Southern California. Before we got there you could only rent Oh-vales. By the end of the season a few parents had purchased. The following season any kid who was competitive was on a 10” gp machine.

2. One kid who was in the World minigp race we have been roughing up and banging bars with for a few years. I’d like to think we helped toughen him up and set him on a path.

3. Another kid who was in the World minigp race we helped start him out in the scene. I was sending emails to my bald headed friend in the Evil Empire trying to get him sorted. His family would come to Phoenix frequently to train at our local track when Cali got stupid.

4. 150cc is the limit in most mini orgs. We changed our engines to meet this requirement, so kids had more classes to run. Do we care about the 5.5c to 10cc rule, hell no? But others did. Later Orgs were changing rules to keep this from happening. I called it the influence of the Evil Empire.

5. Our bikes were set up consistent with what other parents raced on the West Coast with WERA. No one brought a 190 or CRF150r to slaughter the field. So yes, we were surprised.

6. Our 160cc engines were pulled because of the abuse from WOT on a big track. Kids built and rehabbed engines especially to compete at the GNF. Some head work was performed to keep the valves from meeting the piston. Hell, I even had to source parts from the Evil Empire. Special sprockets were purchased in Germany to keep our revs lower. Was a significant effort and dollars spent.

7. Are you seriously trying to lecture me about my kids on a 17” bike? You do know they have podiumed every WERA event they have attended? Well Parker didn’t podium at the GNF, his sister is a phycological ninja and was so far up his head.

8. As you might of heard I'm not a fan of the Oh-vale business model. We invested heavily with their competition on a chassis that is so far ahead of the GP-0 it's not even funny. So yes, we were looking forward to the GNF to showcase the product. What is wrong with that?

Please keep replying so I can further put you in your place.

18. StaccatoFan

I give zero fucks who you are.

Come talk to me anytime. I got zero fucks to give about that too.

noles19 likes this.
  19. FastByKids

Obviously you do as you keep replying with uninformed crap. And advice that made you look like a fool. :crackup:

You should of bowed out when you said you were.

;)

20. StaccatoFan

No. I don’t. And I’m this snarky anywhere.

What you have or haven’t done in Cali means diddly to me. You’re obviously impressed with yourself. Good for you.

You’re just whining.