1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohvale 190 class?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Renato G, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Renato G

Renato G New Member

Hi! I have a question about the class for Ohvale 190. Since that bike is too bike for the Mini 80 class, would we be able to run it in the F Novice class?
    Thanks,

Renato

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

That's probably a No.

The motor's under the displacement parameters, but I get it you could be thinking you could "race up".

But the chassis and 10 inch wheels and bike size, just won't work.

I've ridden an Ohvale at Nelson Ledges and just no.

If Evelyne and Mongo change the Mini rules to allow 190's great.

I have a 160 specifically to race WERA Mini's with my son (If I bring it along anymore) and F2 at MiniGP events.
    I have a 190 coming for MiniGP F3 and the Ohvale 190 classes at NJMiniGP events.

3. Renato G

Renato G New Member

My son raced at Talladega last month and was on 4th gear WOT pretty much most of the time, but he had stock gearing. I understand that the minis have a hard time in long tracks, but I recently discovered that there are recommended gearing ratios for the Ohvales. The 190 might be a more suitable ride considering the HP available. I plan to race the 160 with the right gearing in the Mini 80 class at Road Atlanta.
    @Mongo , thoughts?

Thanks!

4. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I can't really say 'never' but I don't see myself riding my ohvale 190 on a high speed straight. The short wheelbase seems it would be twitchy and highsides are probably instantaneous. In any case, I have big track bikes for sustained high speed and dirt bikes for when I want to 'send it'. :)

YMMV

5. StaccatoFan

If the Minis are listed at Road Atlanta, go for it. My son and I have raced ours at Nelson Ledges this year. They are fine. And it’s fun.

Atl is a longer track with some serious hills so I don’t know if wera runs then there. They tend to run minis at shorter tracks like Summit Point, Nelson and Talledega from what I’ve observed.

You just have to change the gearing. Experiment a little. 16-17 in front and 27-32 in the rear seem to be in the ball park. No instability. You’ll end up adjusting your chain for the gearing and that will make your wheelbase a bit longer which also adds to the straight line stability.

I ran even taller ratios this past Nelson event than the first visit and the motor wasn’t screaming for mercy. You spent your whole race (4 laps) in 3rd and 4th for the most part.

6. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

Please also remember you would not just be running with FSS, but also all the other classes that run at the same time. This includes Clubman. Do you really want to be running a mini on the track at the same time as say a KTM 690 or a built air cooled Ducati?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  7. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

This is a 2021 post follow-up to mine from last year. "Never say never"...

I just noticed that the mini class is on the 2021 WERA race schedule at Summit Point this weekend:

http://www.wera.com/pdfs/eventschedule/summit091221.pdf

Which class would an Ohvale 160 or 190 run in? Didn't see a "good fit" in the minis class (just before section 10 in the pdf). The Ohvales are race-only machines and (probably) already prepped for tech inspection.

The mini racing is 4 laps on the SP main full course, right?

8. StaccatoFan

WERA won't allow mini's on the track with adult sized bikes anyway, I was just kind of humoring the OP. There's no way that would be even remotely safe.

And I'm pretty sure there's NO way they let minis run at Road Atlanta...those motors would struggle to get up those elevation changes with the weight of the rider on them.

OP needs to take his son to South Florida MiniGP and run that series on Ohvales.....they're a fork off of NJMiniGP and do a great job running that series down there.

9. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Yes, yes they do. My son has thoroughly enjoyed the two events we attended at the Herrin Compound.

I’m curious, does anyone know if WERA still splits Barber in half for the minis? They used to cut it at the access road but I saw a video on the youtubes showing them running the full course now.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  10. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Barber mini's were run with the full course.

Yes, the 190's ran and it was a slaughter fest.

Out west the mini's ran the Oh-vale 160 which is actually a Z-155 engine. We would bring our Bucci's with 150's and it was actually close and entertaining to watch. Kids had a blast.

Possible a great opportunity to for WERA make a "Super Mini" class for the 190's / 212's and the CRF-150r's, GP 2 stoke 70's and such.

I think the 12" versions of those GP frames are slowly catching on.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW - I plan on redoing the mini rules some.

I am curious though if the 190 is really to big for the 80 class or is it no one is running a really good 2-stroke in it right now so it just looks like it.

12. FastByKids

I know the 65cc two stroke without modifications ran close to our 110cc Horizontal GP chassis.

Other than that I think guys were putting the 70ish big bores on the 65's which was a significant performance add.

The gentleman at the GNF who ran a two stroke that gave Parker and Hayden fit's on their 150cc horizontal GP Chassis was flying. Would really like to know what he had in it. $$$$

Not sure if the 85cc two strokes or relevant anymore. Possibly I wasn't paying attention.

Now I see your dilemma with the current rule structures. Especially if someone comes out with a performance two stroke.

The Super mini sure would be a good idea! Three Class structure would accommodate more bikes and possibly more participation. But I'm biased!

13. StaccatoFan

I don't think it's too big. I think equal riders, one on an Ohvale 190, and one on a CRF150R would probably be a pretty good race. Like at Nelson, the Ohvale may have the advantage
    in the corners due to chassis geometry and such, but I think the CRF150R would give it a run because geared correctly on the straights it will achieve better top speed.

I feel like for 4 strokes the 125cc should be the border between the smaller class and larger class of minis.

As far as two strokes...no idea. I've never owned one of any size. No history with 2-strokes to give an opinion.

Alex is getting the Ohvale 160 for Xmas, he doesn't know it yet. We are going to try to do some North Central WERA this year.
    It will be his call if he wants to bring the Ohvale 110 or the 160. He just needs to tell me so I can make gearing changes, if necessary.
    That's Father's Day weekend, too.

Note: I haven't gazed my bifocals upon the current rule book, so IF I'm stating the obvious please forgive me.

If it's not already in there, maybe include that the smaller class only allows 10 inch wheels and the larger class of mini's allows 10 and 12 inch wheels?

I think that's my two cents on these classes @Mongo, just some food for thought. You've been doing this longer than I have...so I'll leave it in your capable hands to sort out.

14. FastByKids

I tried to skirt the initial question but…

The 190 (212) has no place competing against the as stated 150cc limit. And most mini orgs across the nation state a CRF-150r as a “super mini”. Currently the cheater bike but within the rules as written in WERA.

Besides the 65’s two smokes are slowly becoming irrelevant.

GNF was a glaring example of a snooze fest race. Well at least third to eight was slightly interesting.

15. StaccatoFan

Incorrect...the Ohvale 190 uses a 187cc motor..not a 212.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2020-ohvale-gp-0-190-mini-bike-first-ride-motorcycle-review

There is a 212cc version, but that's a $12,000 Ohvale they produced in very limited quantities.

The Ohvale is also rolling around on 10 inch wheels.....the CRF is rolling on 17's, right?
    Hank Vossberg has, or had an Ohvale 190...so not sure why he raced his CRF150 at the GNF.

Both motors make about 25ish horsepower stock. So, the seem pretty evenly matched as far as power.

16. FastByKids

We build engines. I can make a 190 into 212 for pennies. Hence why I included “212”. For various reason I won’t put a 190 into a chassis with 10” wheels.

Anywho, when kids build THREE engines (yes was a kids build, I’m no longer permitted in the garage) with parts sourced from Italy / Germany / Tbolt / Evil Empire that are 15hp ish (depending on squish but might be as low as 14). Per published rules. Especially since we down graded from the 160cc that comes stock with the chassis. You have any idea how hard it is getting parts the last 14 months?

And what happened, the 190’s slaughtered the field. Wasn’t a competitor race and possibly soured others from even competing in that class again. I’m guessing that was the largest mini field you had seen all year?

I’m not sure what is gained? Other than possible false confidence and some hardware? A crate Zongshen 155 is had for $600 bucks. Takes less than a hour to install.

And a huge headache for myself. Princess / the boys chainsawed me pretty hard that I actually had to talk to Sean. Odd family dynamics for some but if I didn’t the weekend would of been done. They are competitive creatures.

17. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

I see it as class to get people on the track. If a competitive race breaks out, it won't be because of the rules- it will just be whatever combination of riders/bikes show up.
    We ran 17/35 gearing on the 150 with 12in tires and were 6 mph off the top speed of the 190 GP2. Didn't run the Ohvale at Barber since it has 60 hours on the original motor.

18. FastByKids

Third to eighth was somewhat competitive.
    Parker / Hayden battled a two stroke amongst each other.
    Little Maddux battled a Jr Correa but had bad luck.

Out west I guess the parents let the kids play more evenly. Since we are name dropping:
    Jesse/Alex/both Fernandez kids/Kensia/Hayden/Parker/Maddux (I'd say arguably the fastest mini kids in the country?)
    Epic good times and the racing was close. All on motors within 10cc of each other.

Again, what does anyone gain using big motors and riders checking out on a field? Wasn't sure what happened (GNF) Saturday race as I was busy with my drama queen stalling but Sunday it was two bikes completely outclassed the field with horsepower.
    Serious question? Myself, why would I do it again if the field isn't somewhat equal? Waste of money and wearing out equipment if we are going to be down at least 10hp.

19. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

I'm saying racing mini bikes on a full size track is generally an exercise in futility.

Boman Forklift and StaccatoFan like this.
  20. FastByKids

Well I agree, and the constant top end refreshes are time consuming but keeps the kid busy.
    But if you want to grow the sport and get MORE kids, make it appear somewhat competitive and balanced!

Imagine if my young lady was on a "built spec AMA Ninja" instead of stock.
    Both of us would of had different memories from the weekend. Instead both our kids learned / we got to witness the best racing of the weekend. :cool: