1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got robbed last night.

Discussion in 'General' started by Sabre699, Dec 1, 2021.

1. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

He's alive! :beer:

2. t11ravis

I know this won't help you Dan but if it puts a smile on your face then my work here is done. My storage experience 8 years ago...

f250.jpg

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

That just sucks Trav...I gotta ask, did they get the catalytic converter before lowering the ride ?

4. t11ravis

No. I think they were so thankful that I left the truck attached thus giving them a free (and very quick) rear jack that they forgot about stealing anything else. :crackup:

Sabre699 likes this.
  5. Sabre699

It's amazing after dealing with such vermin we can still find humor. Thanks. :beer:

t11ravis likes this.
  6. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

I own multiple SS facilities. The facility does not insure any of the contents stored. Our insurance only covers the property in case of damage, fire, etc... That includes break-ins also. When a property is broken into, we are damaged the same as those storing contents. We highly recommend buying SS specific insurance from us. It offers $0 deductible and is very easy to use if needed. If renters opt out of this, we recommend they add the SS to their homeowners/Renters insurance, but this typically has to be dome as a separate policy. It is also relatively cheap, but it usually carries the same deductible as the main policy.

If using self storage, be sure you have good insurance and a detailed description of the contents stored in case something happens.

Vehicles are different, as they can usually only be covered by the vehicle ins. policy. We do not offer specific insurance for cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles, boats etc...

BigBird likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My commercial policy has a rider for any off-premises storage that covers self storage and job site storage, so if a gang box or site trailer gets fucked with, I’m covered.

BigBird likes this.
  8. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Does filing a claim on something like this cause your rates to increase? I was always told to make sure it was worth it on homeowners insurance, cause it would more than likely go up after the claim.

9. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Nobody in there right mind fucks with a sparky gang box ... nothing in em but a few arced out screwdrivers , 1900 boxes , black tape and some rando wire nuts ... :D

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Unless you’ve looked at the price of copper lately…

Which is why mine never stays on the job site unless it’s installed. Even then I’ve had rough in’s that were raided, but that’s on the GC for failing to secure the site.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Don't you love it when they do $5k in damage to steal $500 worth of materials that they'll sell for $50?

motoracer1100 likes this.
  12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Yes it does.

I filed a claim (based on my agents suggestion to do so) on my commercial policy when some outboards were stolen from my shop. The claim was denied, but rates still went up, and when I shopped for a new carrier most wouldn't touch me because I filed a claim. Not sure who's worse the thief or the insurance companies.

13. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

That's what I thought! Definitely has to be worth it before stepping into that hole!

14. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

You can’t talk to the police and then plan to get back at them. You’re setting yourself up for failure. When you gotta put in work you keep quiet.

Ducati89 likes this.
  15. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

So very true. Nothing like being victimized twice by being a productive member of society.

ToofPic likes this.
  16. motoracer1100

I worked for on a few jobs , an old German Foreman ( Union sheet metal worker ) who finally got caught cutting up the plumbers copper pipe and filling his lunch box every single day .. this went on for years . I can’t imagine how much he took off the various job sites :crackup::D

17. Sabre699

[​IMG]

Ducati89 likes this.
  18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Here in Flori-duh they will trespass and dig up the wild sable palms on hunting leases- and sell them. Leaves a big square hole which can break an axle on your hunt vehicle if you're not careful!

19. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Commercial is different from Homeowners in that regard.
    Not to say that it can't happen, but a commercial liability policy is very different in every aspect as compared to a homeowners policy.

ToofPic likes this.
  20. motoracer1100

I walked all of the property yesterday .. I have a number of Sable Palms .. but found nothing out of place or missing . However , this road of mine leading in is about a 1/2 mile dead end road . Which mine and another 5 acre parcel are at the end . I put the gate across road , to protect our properties from people dumping garbage on our lots . Which seems to be a popular Florida pastime ... there is only one other permanent resident currently on this road .
    I did notice there is a new Survey wooden stake with elevation markings on it , that may have been posted by the “ Road commission “ or who ever .... about half way down the road . So maybe it was them ?
    I am using the term “ Road “ loosely. , because it is not maintained by anyone other than me . And is mostly grass and weeds . And maybe I don’t have the legal right to block off a plated road even though it is no more than a goat path once past the start of my property? But that doesn’t explain why they trespassed up my driveway that I put in , to a clearing where I’ll build a house . A lot of unanswered questions...,