1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Live Near Tarrytown, NY?

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Dec 2, 2021.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

My son's girlfriend may be getting a job there and it appears to be a pricey area so I'm looking for some tips on where she could possibly live in a nice area that's reasonable. She would be moving from Toronto so it's not easy to look for a place to live in the area from there. Any help would be appreciated.

2. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Everything real-estate in the Hudson Valley corridor is artificially high right now. Typically the further North you go the less ridiculous it gets. Keep Connecticut open as an option but try to avoid using the Tappan Zee bridge (Rockland) if you can.

3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Apartment or house? Yep you're going to pay in Westchester County, but I don't think Toronto's cheap. I think @beac83 can help?

4. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

If she's cool w/ public transportation, MetroNorth passes right thru Tarrytown and can get you as far North as Poughkeepsie, though that's a schlep. Plenty of stops in between though. The further North, the less housing will cost.

5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Real Estate Taxes in NY are super sucky. Not sure how NJ taxes are, but that’s something that should be considered as the NJ border isn’t that far away.

6. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Yes, the real estate taxes in NY freaking BLOW (I'm a loan officer).

However, if you're looking to buy close to NY in north NJ, get ready for some crazy property taxes! Just did a purchase for a 1st time home buyer on a 4br, 2 bath, 1600sqft home on .29 acres in Verona and the property taxes were $12,000/yr! Oh yeah, the house was $475,000 and built in 1952!

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Just hell no. My annual $4500 in MD is bad enough. There are some nice places in upstate NY. But that whole area around NYC is just fucked up.

We were up in Morristown last year for a MiniGP weekend and I talked with a guy that lived on Long Island who pays $2k a month. Not a chance in hell I would pay that much to live up in that congested mess.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I call BS. Nobody moves to the YS from Canuckistan, everyone follows all the celebrities in their exodus from the US to Dudley Doorightville for the freebies and apologies. :D

9. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

my brother works in ardsley, rents in southern ulster cty (marlborough), perm house in florida. prices are high in that area with the exodus out of the city, and poughkeepsie is a dump, think newark nj but smaller. try orange county , anywhere other then newburgh

10. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Nah man....this is a trap....

11. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Could someone provide directions to the YS area? I'm interested in their cost of living, for a friend, of course.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Unless it has changed hugely (and @beac83 can speak on it better then me), a lot of Orange county is Newburghed.

Really, around Tarrytown and commuting distances are going to be hit or miss and expensive to top it off.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

We all fulled up, go away :D

dtalbott likes this.
  14. cyclocrossfool

moved out of that area in 2015. lived there since mid 70,s. town of newburgh is ok, cornwall is nice but $$$. balmville is nice and close to 84 and 9w. south of beacon - cold spring is nice, dutches cty along 84 fishkill for easy access to 84. maybe a section 8 place in beacon? maybe up 684 up toward brewster? 22 up to pawling in dutchess cty? trying to come up with sugestions with quick access to major roads.

15. In Your Corner

She'd be commuting to Regeneron at 777 Old Saw Mill River Rd, Tarrytown if that helps.

16. cyclocrossfool

doesnt look good/cheap. sloatsburg , tuxedo area might be 1/2 hour. everything else 1 hour plus. no train on west side hudson. used to be a big car plant and ibm down there in tarrytown. lots of seedy hotels now.

17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Buy or rent? Drive or MTA? Good money? We need a bit more information. I'm assuming good money to move to another country... Awhile ago I knew a bunch of people who used to reverse commute from NYC to Greenwich because they were young, wanted to live in the city, and not a whole lot of desirable rentals up there...

18. In Your Corner

No idea about money but I assume she'd be paid fairly well. She'll be doing research in molecular genetics. She's just coming out of university.
    I think most of the jobs in her line of work are in the states.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

It's where Mark Meta Zuckerberg was born

It's the Mario Cuomo Bridge now :rolleyes:

$12k taxes are cheaper than NNJ. Bergen county taxes are almost over $12k in most good towns.

I would have thought central NJ would be another hot spot of biology/pharma jobs

20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I figured as much. So I'm assuming rent to start. Find out willingness to ride the MTA vs. drive. My sister's BFF has lived in Croton-on-Hudson for 20 years, a couple stops up on the Hudson line. Beac's apartment was in Peekskill, same line, couple further stops. Without prying, budget for month? Prefers hustle/bustle or more bucolic? I've put out some feelers...