1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-Stick cookware sets?

Discussion in 'General' started by njracer, Dec 1, 2021.

1. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

The wife want's a new cookware set.

I've been looking at All-Clad Essentials, Calphalon Premier and Caraway. My head is spinning after reading the reviews. I only want to spend about $400-$500 so I figured I'd ask here.

Thought?

FWIW, I think the Caraway is off the list as most of the reviews say the ceramic coating chips easily and my wife will probably destroy them in a short time.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've had good luck with cheap sets from Costco or the like and cooked with them happily for decades. However I do like my All-Clad stuff overpriced and overhyped as it may be.

I'm wondering if any of the newer coatings "as seen on TV" are any better than the ones used by the mainstream folks.

3. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

I got the wife a calphalon set at Costco a couple of years ago and she’s really liking it. The big set was under $400 if I remember it correctly

4. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Don't buy a whole set of non-stick. You don't need it in sauce pans, etc. For the most part you don't need it at all. Basic stainless steel will do 95% of the cooking you need to do, and they are easy to clean up (scrubbing the shit out of them won't damage them, and metal tools won't jack them up). A couple of good non-stick pans for eggs or delicate things - like a 6" and a 10" - will do the actual work you need done by a non-stick. Honestly, the relatively inexpensive Green Pans that you can get at Target work well. They are going to end up in the trash after a few years so don't break the bank on them.

Also remember that you can't actually get a good browning on anything if you are using non-stick pans. You need to basically burn the food to it for a few minutes to get that crust. The fun part is that, once you have that crust, the food will release from the pan without leaving a bunch of crust behind. If your stuff is sticking then you are messing with it before it is ready to be touched.

All-Clad are pricey, but they last. Also, a full set isn't always the best way to go. In many cases you can put together what you actually need by mixing and matching open stock.

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

All Clad here too. My wife loves it. We did the put together way too like elvee suggested. Only get what you really need, you can add stuff later.

6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Been using Revere Ware pots and pans for decades. As far as no stick fry pans, I’ve used a lot of different ones over the years. Current models are Carote pans. They are made in Germany and have been very good so far. On Amazon, and inexpensive.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I need to use my Revere Ware more, they are waaaayyyyy different in how they heat and how much heat they need compared to the All Clad. They also look super damn cool hanging up on the rack with the aluminum and stainless stuff. Got on a kick and picked some stuff up from ebay a while back, they're great pans.

8. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I have a good amount of All-Clad SS pots and pans but she doesn't like to cook on them (she really needs non-stick stuff). She pointed out the Caraway because you can get them in different colors. She want's a new set because all of our other stuff is mismatched (it doesn't bother me).

I think I might just go to Bed Bath and Beyond and build a set that will fit her needs.

9. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Not excited about my Calphalon set I got from BBB.
    After about a year of making scrambled eggs in the 9" pan, the eggs are starting to stick a little.
    That pan gets used at least 5x a week for eggs, quesadillas, burgers in a rush, shrimp and such.
    only wooden or plastic spatulas and only hand washed with a sponge. Never any metal utensils.
    Warranty is lifetime or at minimum 10yrs so I'll be looking in to that.

10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I'm with Elvee, only a couple pans are desirable, and not even necessary. I have found that Scanpan are the best and longest lasting, but are dear. Waiting until the pan is fully heated helps with release a lot.

This is on my wishlist, but I have been naughty, so I doubt Santa's bringin' it.

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

T-Fal.

bleacht likes this.
  12. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I use one of the copper colored frying pans for eggs, it works great. I read that as long as you use actual oil instead of a non stick spray they last longer. Something about the propellant residue coats the non stick surface and causes it to stick.

13. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

At my house we use a combo of Lodge (cast iron) and 360 Cookware (stainless). Both are made in the USA and will last a lifetime. Properly seasoned the cast iron is as good as any non stick pan.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

in my limited use, cast iron doesn't really heat evenly. It's the only downside of them.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The newer copper is stuff is exactly why I bought used Revere Ware and cleaned it :crackup:

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're doing it wrong - seriously, maybe let it heat longer at a lower flame or something but the pan shouldn't be the issue there.

Once a Wanker.. and Yzasserina like this.
  17. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

That would be correct, cast iron doesn't heat evenly, it needs to be heated under low-medium heat for a few minutes before use to help eliminate the hot spots.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I've had good luck with my Calphalon hard-anodized pans. I don't like those non-stick coating style of pans.

BigBird likes this.
  19. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Correction on my first post. Carote pans are not made in Germany. They’re made in Switzerland. Old brain syndrome…

20. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

the Misen non stick has worked and lasted better than any thing Ive tried so far. If you drop one right on its edge, it will no longer be perfectly round tho...