1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to the South

Discussion in 'General' started by Trent, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Floriduh is cool, west coast and Central is country, nice people, laid back, southeast coast is a bunch of miserable new Yorkers that complain about everything and drive like assholes

2. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Does anyone have any input regarding Augusta, GA? It's beginning to look like I'll be able to pick my retirement spot early due to remote work, and I'm thinking either outside of Greenville or Augusta

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

There's a pretty decent golf course there.

rd400racer likes this.
  4. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yeah, all those greens come from NC.

[​IMG]

SuddenBraking and BigBird like this.
  5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Went there for work once or twice and the whole place seemed like a shithole with a nice golf course in the middle.

TurboBlew and jrsamples like this.
  6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It is and the smell of the dead bodies really ruins it. Stay away. I wouldn't get any closer than say Mississippi.

ToofPic likes this.
  7. G2G

G2G I feel the need

We do have 4 daughters, 23, 20, 19 and 14. We are not opposed to buying within the next year or 2 then rent out the place for a year or so till we make the move pernament. Our kids will not be moving down with us. I have worked in the middle of downtown Chicago for 27 years. Finally done with that and now I work with my wife who has her own very successful Real Estate team working for her. Our plan is to keep that going up here, move south away from our cold weather and start selling Real Estate down south. Your house might actually be too big as we are looking to downsize out home and upsize our garage lol She rides also, street and track. So we have a ton of toys.

jrsamples likes this.
  8. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

You can tell when you're in Alabama when you see a three car crash in a traffic circle. In Georgia it will be an eight car crash. Choose wisely.

G2G, jonathanp and dtalbott like this.
  9. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

we should be down south by next november, my wife retires and wants the western parts of nc or sc, asheville or geenville areas. she wants to be closer to the mountains then the coast

BigBird and jrsamples like this.
  10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d stay clear of the crazies in Asheville and look further west.

If you’re not going to be relying on furthering your careers and income, I’d stay west of I-26, south of NC Hwy 74/19, and north of GA Hwy 76. That’ll put you in the mountains, but, on the south side of the range for milder winters, a slower pace, yet, still easy enough access to Chattanooga or ATL for big city needs.

BigBird, Ducati89 and cyclocrossfool like this.
  11. cyclocrossfool

thanks, ill be needing some income. she is set with a pension. for some reason she likes asheville . im leaning more towards greenville sc/ eastern tenn where house rentals seem a little cheaper ( and is closer to the race tracks). i dont have any big city needs and as long as the amazon truck makes deliveries shes set.

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Nah uh. I hear they are building lots of new houses. Getting rid of all those trees and cows. And shit.

ducnut and Phl218 like this.
  14. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

That will make him my retirement neighbor. If you're not in a hurry, it's heaven on Earth.

ducnut likes this.
  15. cyclocrossfool

Phl218 likes this.
  16. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Nope it is the Shunnarah signs

YamahaRick likes this.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

A lot of people, especially women, like Asheville, when viewing the tourist/real estate propaganda. But, spend time talking to the OG locals of the area and you’ll get a more accurate picture of the reality.

Eastern TN puts you in a much harsher winter climate, than Greenville.

Definitely spend some time in whichever area you get serious about. I’ve spent a lot of time in Franklin, NC, the last 7yrs. Doing that and developing friendships there has helped guide me for my future plans to land between Murphy and Franklin.

jrsamples likes this.
  18. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

We will be actual neighbors. My secret hideout is on an undisclosed mountaintop off of lower burningtown road.

ducnut likes this.
  19. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Best area of the state.

ducnut likes this.
  20. muguvian

muguvian Well-Known Member

Why does he want us to call him Alabama?