1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmets

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

It’s been a while since I’ve shopped for a race lid.

I’ve been riding in a Bell Race Star for the past five years. Overall, I’ve been happy with the helmet, but I have a few gripes:

1. The shell feels a little bulky
    2. I’ve had an issue where too much wind comes in at a weird angle and dries my eyes out badly. The helmet may be a size too big for me.

Overall, though, I’ve loved the fit of the helmet and I may just get a new Star. But I’m wondering if any of the below are also worth considering:

Scorpion Exo-R1 Air
    Suomy SR-GP
    HJC RPHA 1
    Shark Race-R Pro GP

The Corsair and the X-14 didn’t fit me great when I tried them five years ago.

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

What's your head shape?

I'm an intermediate oval to long oval and I tell anyone with a similar head shape to try LS2. It is the best fitting helmet that I've put on for my head shape, the peripheral vision and especially the vision while in the tuck is great, and they are seen as a great helmet at a great value in all reviews that I've seen.

I consider Brian Van to be a straight shooter in his reviews and his review of the LS2 Arrow is what convinced me to give them a try. That's the model I bought.

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

No way all those helmets fit the same. They are prob gonna be very hard to try on since they are high-end, but you definitely need to.

The RPHA 10 & 11 fit a lot like Arai. So you may be able to scratch the RPHA 1 off your list, maybe.

sheepofblue and Senna like this.
  4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Always thought I was intermediate-to-long oval, but who the hell knows lol. I just try them all on to find out.

I'll have to look at the LS2. The price is definitely right on them.

5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thank you, that's very helpful. The Arai was better than the Shoei - the Shoei gave me very bad pressure points.

6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Have a couple of the EXO R1's...a gray one and a Quattro replica....excellent helmet at an excellent price.
    I have a round head, and it fits as well as any Arai Corsair I've had.

7. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Since you brought up helmets, if anyone from Arai is listening - drop that stupid Corsair X shield mechanism like a hot rock, and go back to the previous style.

That'd be great. thanks.

Yama-saurus, Past Glory and burnham like this.
  8. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I have the Shark in the Redding replica carbon limited edition. Helmet is extremely light, great vision, quality shield material, easy shield replacement (seconds), extremely quiet, and my personal favorite the best sweat wicking inner liner I've ever had.

9. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

My Bell Star leaked at the gasket between the shield and shell because of crappy QC. Ordered 3 shields and found one that fit and returned the rest and it's been okay since but it's been relegated to my backup helmet.

Senna likes this.
  10. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

I have a new EXO R1.

Here's my thoughts.
    I have a exo 750 from 2012 as well.

The face shield from 2012 STILL DOESN'T fog up in ANY condition. Both clear and tinted.
    The new R1 face shield still advertise fog free shield, they are not. They fog up almost all the time both clear and tinted. The new R1 tinted shield has a haze to it not matter how you clean it. It doesn't have clear vision in middle of the day sun. Vision is everything and their poor quality shields ruins that.
    The fit does not sit down as far on your head as the older scorpion models. The rear of the new R1 seems to ride up higher at the base of head than the older scorpions.

If this helmet fits you really well, I guess it's worth the money. But you're going to have to find a replacement tinted shield that isn't hazy and a pin lock is a must and I don't like running those.

11. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

I have the Bautista Scorpion edition EXO-R1. It's been the best fitting helmet I have ever owned (Arai, Shoei HJC & AGV). I did not have any vision issues with my shield as previously posted. I only wear the tinted shield, regardless of weather, and it's been great. My only small complaint is that I wish the helmet sat a little higher on my head. When tucked in its a little harder to look up and not have the upper part of the opening in the way. Other than that, it's been amazing. Just got some tearoff's for the shield a little while ago as well.

Daniel06 likes this.
  12. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

+1 for the Shark helmet. Theyre well made.

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

14. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Arai has two shell shapes. I also am a long-oval, and while my older Arai race helmets fit me fine, the newer Corsairs are tight on my forehead. I currently own 2 XD4's, and I cannot recall if it's the Quantum or Signet that fits me the best, and will be the next helmet I buy. Robert at The Service Pavilion is my go-to Arai guy.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So the description I once read was.... put your Bell on:
    1 push on the forehead lightly to moderately is there a gap at the back
    2 repeat on the back
    3 shake your head and does it walk

If anyone of those occur your Bell was the wrong size and you might try to find another a size down (I don't know bell but if possible maybe check pads). I say this as they have a decent/good rep and you like it. Fit is #1 then comfort, sounds like it met your comfort. Otherwise I got nothing as my head loves Corsairs despite my pocket book. Tried a Soumy once and it was hurting just putting it on, cannot imagine riding 5 minutes in one (for me)

16. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Correction: After looking at their website, there are two other distinct shapes. The RX-Q is a distinct 'diamond-oval,' and the Signet-Q is 'long-oval.'

https://www.theservicepavilion.com/store/p2008/RX-Q_White.html#/
    https://www.theservicepavilion.com/store/p2060/Signet-Q_Diamond_White.html#/

17. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

3 shell shapes actually. Intermediate, round and long oval.
    I've worn and sold Arai since 1993 and have seen what is now the Corsair X slowly become an ill fitting helmet. IMO, the RX7 Corsair was the last of the "best fitting" top end Arai and was more round oval-ish.
    But with the Corsair V, they started to change to more intermediate oval and same with the Corsair X. That coupled with the new cheekpad design of the X makes for a weird fit.
    Quantum X fits me better, but lacks the airflow of the X, both topside and in the chin area. So I just accept the X for what it is and roll with it. But will say other brands are on my radar.
    And will also agree with Rhino... HATE the Corsair X shield change dance. But as I have evolved with Arai over the decades, the previous shield changes were easy to me. And also know alot of folks hated it.
    So at least Arai listened to someone...

And yeah, Robert at TSP is stellar and wealth of Arai "nawlege"

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. deweytheduc

deweytheduc Member

I had to take the liner out of the Arai and perform the micro-adjustments for tuning the fit. They have 2 layer foam buttons on the front, back and sides. You can remove one or both layers for fine tuned fit. It makes a world of difference.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

FINALLY a fresh subject of discussion... I eagerly await everyone's unbiased opinion

DmanSlam and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

FWIW... +1 on the R1 Air, haven't got to ride in it much yet, but soooo comfy.

Thought the RPHA11 was awesome at first, but had terrible fogging no matter what I tried, and the cheekpads constantly coming loose drove me crazy.