1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you pay the heated seats bill?

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 22, 2021.

1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

People manage to jailbreak iPhones. Whatever shit software the manufactures use will be easy enough to jailbreak. They’re probably all using some flavor of the Linux kernel and layering in their own junk anyway.

Then you enable all the features and disable the over the air updates so it doesn’t get overwritten. The only possible problem is if you take it to the dealer for service.

Correct on every count. I’d happily go through the trouble of bypassing their bullshit subscription service fees regardless of how much money I had to pay it. Subscription fees are already totally out of control, not paying another one for a car that’s already overpriced.

The fact that most people won’t bother to hack the software is a great thing for people that will. That means the manufacturers won’t bother much to make it difficult since people hacking it will be an edge case that barely affects them.

BigBird likes this.
  2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My 2020 Jeep GCherokee came with a 1 year "free" subscription to nav and door unlocking. I never once used it but now I get weekly e-mails and even a voice over my radio telling me it's time to buy in....

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That would/will make for some interesting caselaw regarding ownership and what exactly you're purchasing when you buy "a car".

BigBird likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

VW/Audi know when you overwrite the ECU with a Tune, I wonder if the same can apply to these "services"

How crazy though...you press the seat warmer button and then nothing...like WTF. I think BMW was charging annually for apple car play, not sure if they stopped that.

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Thanks for the heads up, Elon! ;-)

6. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

This feels like a vote with your wallet situation. If you don't like the terms, don't buy it.

cav115 likes this.
  7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I know Porsche has been doing this for years (2010 or before) with many features but it was a one time thing. IE the car has the ability to do what ever the option is but it isn't activated.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

-Mercedes cooled seats are just plain shit, they don't work.
    -Porsche heated seats only work with pressure on them, if your trying to turn it on to keep your food warm driving back to work or whatever, they don't work. Maybe after a couple hours they will heat soak threw?

I drive old vehicles on purpose. None of these things came on them, and I'm not adding them. Not worth it to me. Cloth seats and you don't need either anyways plus its more comfortable.

9. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

There’s been some great and also some unfortunate conversations from auto executives at conferences and board meeting with these new directions. Imagine they’re all experimenting with their business models, which are facing significant turmoil in the foreseeable future. There are a lot of factors coming into play which may reduce the future quantity and frequency of new vehicle purchases and necessitates a new business model. Sadly with their business on the line, the software security features are going to become increasingly challenging to circumvent. Even with the aforementioned seat warmers, even if you install a bypass system, it would only take a few sensors and data analytics to automatically inform the manufacturer. May not seem like a big deal, but there’s going to be some law defining court cases as manufacturers and insurance companies start noting the risks they can incur with software modified vehicles, particularly as assisted driving capabilities increase. Even something as simple as a manufacturer permanently noting on a carfax that a vehicle’s software has been compromised, is going to have dramatic ramifications. It’s also going to be interesting how people respond when they encounter expensive repairs, such as AWD components, when they realize that even though they didn’t subscribe to those features, they still have to pay to maintain them.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

the one thing that makes sense in building the same model is that the repair manuals will be much more streamlined

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

They've been talking about this for a few years... Hopefully, they reduce the OTD cost of the vehicles appropriately, otherwise its absolutely a non-starter for me.

The last thing I want is a bunch of non-working buttons all over the car. I'd prefer the blanks.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

i think there will be no buttons. it'll all be screen based like your phone. the new Golf has like zero buttons. or maybe other cars will have "fave" buttons

Phl218 likes this.
  13. Phl218

Phl218 .

surrendering your freedoms (to own, modify as well as soon to drive wherever you want) for convenience

f that shit.

14. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Talk to farmers who own Deere equipment about not being able to repair their very expensive equipment anymore.

stk0308, OldGuyOnBlu, cav115 and 5 others like this.
  15. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Imagine some of it has to do with the labor strife and supply chain issues, but WSJ just did an article the other week that auctions of low hour but 10+ year old JD tractors selling for a premium over new.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Maybe I am just getting old but fuck them and their pay extra for what is already there and not allowing you to modify or repair what is supposed to be yours. I am sure we will always have some overly complex piece of shit in the driveway because wifey likes all of the creature comforts but I am going the other direction. 5 speed manual and crank windows baby!

BigBird likes this.
  17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I can't believe the money they want to update your navigation system.
    Google maps updates for free.

18. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

But if they make it illegal to handle your phone while driving and then charge you for the software for you to connect your phone, it doesn't do you any good.

BigBird likes this.
  19. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Isn't John Deere doing this exact thing on their large tractor software...
    You buy the tractor... but you do not OWN the software in it?

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

There are high quality phone mounts, cheap suction cup mounts, WeatherTech CupPhone, etc. that mostly solves that. Not as good as integrated, but if you really don't want to spend the annual it works.