1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

used car help

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

My wife inherited a 2007 Chevy Malibu from her aunt. The car was originally purchased and registered in Canada, but it's been titled and registered in FL for at least the last 10 years.

It's in great shape, 95K miles, everything works. We wanted to sell it at Carmax, they told her AutoCheck doesn't show it as properly imported into the US. Despite the FL title and Registration.

We went to the AutoCheck website, the car is in there and shows 12 records, but we didn't pay for a report.

Carvana online offered $500.

Kelly Blue Book says trade in value around $4k, $5-6k private party. When I tried the cash offer option, they said they don't give online quotes for cars with "title issues".

Carmax website also would not give a value, says we need to go in person which she did and got nowhere.

Clearly there's a paperwork issue somewhere, her aunt is still around, just sold her winter place in the states so we can still have her sign anything we need. We already have a power of attorney for purposes of selling the car.

Anyone seen this before and know what the remedy could be?

Anyone need a cheap, nice condition Malibu? Kinda has the old lady smell....

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Tree fiddy?

Sorry. It had to be done.

Can you find any import paperwork form when it came in? That should show how it was brought in. If a vehicle was made to US standards bringing it in sint a big deal and the vehicle should be ok to register anywhere.

Gino230 likes this.
  3. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

Have you transferred it into your name yet? I would transfer it to myself to make sure that goes ok then sell it privately.

Or keep and drive until the wheels fall off. Then junk it. It's a free car.

sharkattack likes this.
  4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

FL issued her aunt a legit title for the car? I wonder what the issue is.

I would imagine a 2007 MY car would be made to meet both US and Maple Leaf specs. So I doubt it is an emissions thing.

I hope it is something simple. Good luck with this. Sell asap while the market is still hot. If not by Christmas, wait until tax "refunds" start arriving.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    Gino230 likes this.
  5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Carmax and The like don’t always have solid info. Dealers these days won’t touch anything with a reported blemish. Legit or not.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

1-877-KARS4KIDS

Then shoot yourself in the face for giving them a damn thing. :D

7. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I’ll give ya 500 for it. I need a car to keep down there.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

carvana is a joke... they are just a we tote the note online clown show with good marketing..

Id say its a good car to sell for cash on CL or OfferUp since its under 100k.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

This ^^^ sell it yourself, to reap the highest return .. be sure you write “ As is “ on bill of sale ... make a copy for yourself...

10. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Canadian history isn't an issue at all. At Manheim there is a guy that sells 100s of Canadian F150s every week. With Dodge, warranties are an issue, but a 07 is way beyond that anyway.
    Sell it locally on FB marketplace or CL. Decent $5,000 cars are hard to come by. I bet it moves fast.

Gino230 and Phl218 like this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

really?

People have been paid handsomely for their used cars by Carvana or Vroom, most without any issues.

12. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Buy, borrow or rent an ozone machine to eliminate any odors inside the car. I just loaned mine to my friend who details on the side. He was working on a car that had sat outside with multiple water leaks for over a year, and had mold / mildew smells he couldn't eliminate. He bought his own, after using mine.

I second selling it yourself, with 2 copies of an extensive and detailed bill of sale. Include lines for a witness to sign, along with all of buyer's information. I get it from his/her driver's license, and record D/L # also. Helps protect you, if something happens after sale, out of your control.

Gino230 likes this.
  13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

right buy high sell higher... just look at their inventory and try to buy a vehicle... its outright hilarious. Like $8000 over original sticker hilarious. Especially the added "service contract" protect your ride for 1 year.

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I just got done with buying in the used market. The same $14K car I just bought would have been $18k via Vroom or Carvana with no room for negotiation.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

I didn't say buy from them...i said sell to them. I try not to buy used anything ;)

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I got no problem buying used. I'll let someone else eat the initial depreciation. This one wasn't for me and I supplemented the budget just to get them into something that wasn't total garbage. There plenty of that in used car land currently.

TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. We were looking to sell it to carmax or one of the other cash buy services because my wife is emotional about it and wants it gone. But her Canadian side won’t let her dump it and potentially lose $3-4k. I’ll probably end up selling it myself, unless she gets somewhere with AutoCheck. Seems like a silly issue.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's probably just the vin kicking up weird things on their computers no matter how legal the title is.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

#blamecanada

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.