1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I'm not quibbling about the penalties... how does it take them this long to reach a decision? Agree improvement over prior.

BigBird likes this.
  2. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Hey I just had a brilliant idea. Now that Valentino has retired, maybe the marshals can pick up some of those big ass screamy yellow flags from his army off ebay. That should make them easier to see... :D

BigBird likes this.
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Looks like another Hamilton snooze fest. Guess I'll watch the food issue on CBS Sunday Morning once he's five seconds ahead, which should be about two laps.

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Whew, for a moment I thought Dr A5 had stolen your login. :D

Yzasserina likes this.
  5. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

6. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

We need a wellness check.

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Lolololol! Don't jinx him you guys!

8. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I had the race paused on lap 50, had to take a call... then I had three strokes in rapid succession when those three tires punctured, then I screamed at the TV for the rest of the race, and now my eyes are leaking. :clap:

HPPT likes this.
  9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Don't even know the outcome since I turned the race off after the first four corners thinking exactly the same thing.

rd400racer likes this.
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Can't recall a more boring race in the last 50 years.

BigBird likes this.
  11. tiggen

Enjoyed watching the cars go around more than the bikes, but the bikes make for a way more exciting show.

12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. tiggen

I guess I mean to say that I never had any love for that track watching the bikes go around it, but I def want to drive it after watching f1 on it. Especially that triple apex right hander.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

The F1 announcers are the best....hearing them try to drum up some excitement was a sport in itself.

15. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Yeah, after the qualifying, I elected to watch the 30-minute wrap up show for this one.

Announcer-wise, I miss the occasional breath of fresh air when Jenson Button replaced Brundle...

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

And now a similar path for Trans Am

Pirelli will introduce 18-inch tires for the 2022 season of the Trans Am Series TA class. This change will bring Pirelli’s Motorsport tires closer to the road tire production process, in line with what has been done in Formula 1. The most significant change in the switch from 16 to 18-inch is the reduction of the sidewall, which now resembles that of low-profile Pirelli tires that for years have been the preferred choice of the world’s leading performance road cars.

The development of the new 18-inch tires started back in 2019, with a dedicated test at the Road Atlanta Raceway, before being paused for a year as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2021, 18-inch testing resumed with a varied program of slicks that took place at Road America and Virginia International Raceway. Pirelli has scheduled another session of testing for November 22 at Homestead Miami Speedway in order to finalize the development of the new tires.

For 2022, the Trans Am competitors will use Pirelli’s new P Zero DH tires: an evolution of the previous range, with modifications designed to make it even more versatile for the wide variety of Trans Am cars that use it. With its 70-plus grids populated by Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers and Corvettes – all with unique characteristics like high horsepower and low aerodynamics – Trans Am is for Pirelli the perfect venue to strengthen its bonds with American car culture.

“We are delighted to announce the introduction of the 18-inch tires for the Trans Am Series, one of the best-known road racing championships in the United States, which is rooted in popular culture as well as motorsport,” Pirelli North America Chief Executive Officer, Claudio Zanardo, said.

“In addition to supplying more than 220 car racing championships worldwide, Pirelli is one of the companies that invests most into research and development through motorsport in order for the competition product to be as closely aligned to road car tires as possible. This last innovation underlines, indeed, the importance of Motorsport as an open-air laboratory for our famous high-performance P Zero tires”.

“This is an exciting time for the Trans Am class,” said John Clagett, Trans Am Racing Company President. “Pirelli has been amazing to work with to develop the perfect tires that will undoubtedly raise the performance potential of the Trans Am class race car. Along with performance the tires offer amazing drivability, allow for bigger brakes and will reduce the temperatures being produced. It’s a win all the way around.”

17. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Frank Williams dead at 79. A legend of the sport for sure. Bummer.

stk0308 and 418 like this.
  18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Ditto. RIP Sir Frank. :(

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Let me take this opportunity to recommend the 2018 documentary "Williams" to anyone who hasn't seen it.

DrA5, cpettit and VFR#52 like this.
  20. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

There was a documentary made by the BBC in the early 80's "Gentleman Lift Your Skirts" that focused on ground effect design in F1 cars. A lot of it featured the Williams team and there was line in it that cracked me up, Alan Jones was complaining that the ride in the car was too hard to which Frank Williams told him to sit on his wallet.

The video is in the YouTube thread.

VFR#52 likes this.