1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

LUCID went up 23% today.

BigBird likes this.
  2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Wanna watch me lose a bunch of money? :D

SuddenBraking and BigBird like this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Nah, rather see you do well

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

It’s been a long time coming with Lucid. I was in it back when it was CCIV spac. Same I’m hoping for with GGPI.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

Long time? Hadn't it been a few months? What about their financials scream great product?

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Rivian

Up 70% in a week.

A German shepherd could have seen this coming.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

They're always obvious in hindsight.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  8. thrak410

Well, considering the car is WAYYYY better put together than a Tesla, and there isn't a significant difference in price, I don't see why it won't keep climbing as it becomes more available and marketed. Just needs that cult following to get to $1k/sh LOL

They also have a 933hp version with EPA 500+ mile range which Tesla isn't even close to at the moment.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37613322/2022-lucid-air-epa-range-details/

9. rymerc

rymerc Well-Known Member

RIVN is on sale, buy the dip or dump and run.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Yes.

BigBird likes this.
  11. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

only 5-6 more days like today to go, then its a buy! haha

BigBird likes this.
  12. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Maybe sooner by the looks of it today.

13. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that Lucid isn't a good buy, but in regard to build quality they really haven't made that many. It's relatively easy to sandbag quality when you can afford to pay extra attention in the initial low/slow volume environment. Let's see how the build quality looks with much higher volume and faster production pace.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i'm still waiting for fanboys to actually start shitting on Elon, cause he's had 10 years now, what's his excuse? fuckin idiots will put up with anything to be part of the cult. Tesla right now is like pre-mid-2000's Hyundai or whenever it was before that lawyer dude took over, except without the stigma. its insane.

BigBird likes this.
  15. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

As I understand it, for the ultra rich when the loan comes due the bank evaluates whether it’s still worth the risk (yes) and they roll it over. It then becomes a liability against the estate. Capital gains is then assessed on the market value at the time the asset owner died vs when they acquired it. Beautiful stuff. So now the brain trust @ .gov are making noises about taxing unrealized capital gains. Which the people with armies of lawyers and accountants would never pay, but the people with a pitiful few million will.

16. auminer

Dangerous waters here, but let's just say that I don't think this will happen. If it does, though, I'll be an expatriate SOB toot sweet.

cortezmachine likes this.
  17. thrak410

taxing unrealized capital gains.

How can that even be possible? If its unrealized, how can it be a gain, or a loss?

motoracer1100 likes this.
  18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

It's the Schrodinger's cat theory of taxation... makes as much sense as the whole pistol brace vs. stock thing

19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

This is somewhat of a moot point as even if the loan wasn't rolled over, people would be tripping over themselves to loan that money. Also not isolated to the ultra rich as I'm pretty sure any lender looking for a super safe loan would trip over themselves to loan against most conservative portfolios.

I think you're talking about the step up in basis; long story short, when rich people die and bequeath assets to their heirs, the heirs receive the gift at the current market value (i.e., the basis is stepped up) and pay no capital gains.

They should, IMO; the assets ownership is changing because technically Richie Rich's dad "sold" the asset to him on his death.

20. auminer

In estate matters, yeah, that situation I can see doing away with step up. (I ain't inheriting shit anyway :D )

But as I understand it, there's rumblings of changing the rules so that investment holders would be taxed every year on the paper gains they have made on holdings they haven't yet sold. That's straight bullshit right there.