1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Go Karts

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 13, 2021.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

My little-ish guy, 10 to be 11, really wants a GoKart. Not sure about what goals he wants or I want as I know it gets expensive real fast.

So not sure about track or what not, but right now to ride through the neighborhood. He was looking at the Segway Ninebot Gokart PRO, and it's electric so easy maintenance. But, he was looking at gas models, but I don't really want to become a mechanic, unless I really have to.

Any help appreciated for Santa

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I would get him a used kid's race gokart so he can run it in the neighborhood and you 2 can go to the track. Great way for him to learn basic mechanic skills, too.

TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

MiniGP is less expensive than kart racing I believe.

BigBird and SuddenBraking like this.
  4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

If he's riding the neighborhood get him one with some clearance.

BigBird likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

:D

BigBird, Phl218 and Sabre699 like this.
  6. Shit, where is that one assclown? I can’t even remember his screen name. The dude who liked to brag about his go-kart records. :crackup:

418, TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Josh Owen (can't remember his screen name as I believe it was changed).

This - teach him to ride a kid's dirtbike and explain to him that 4 wheels are for when you're commuting to a soul sucking job, not for enjoyment.

8. Sabre699

Ya mean old Josh Banana-hat ??

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. Ah yeah, that dude. Pure champion. :crackup:

RRP likes this.
  10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Depends on how you do it, a rotax kart can be had for around 3k and you need less gear, And practice is cheaper. But once you get faster tires and everything starts adding up.

BigBird likes this.
  11. StaccatoFan

Ok. So costs are or can be similar. We race on kart tracks too. I’ve just not discussed costs with the kart racers to compare. But I do see that have a lot of gear and carts to move their karts around and they are always wrenching on those little things between races and sessions.

Bird will have lots of quality time with his wrenches by my observations.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  12. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

He's probably still waiting to collect on the thousand dollars he's owed on a bet that took such an amusing turn.

13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Oh that's for sure, just like bikes you can have old guys with a kart helmet and gloves in a truck, and then you have full on F1 wannabe people.
    The Good thing about karting though is you have lots of options for tracks and track time unlike bikes, the people can be crazy though.

BigBird likes this.
  14. StaccatoFan

I may have a crf110 for sale that would work for miniBird

And I’m going to have 3 sets of leathers mine won’t be able to fit into next year. He’s in the Middle School growth spurt.

BigBird likes this.
  15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

better than you.png

Ducati89, Phl218, RRP and 2 others like this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

BigBird likes this.
  17. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

I raced karts for 10 years; fun race vehicles but not toys. Karts intended for asphalt racing have only about an inch of ground clearance and motors that need fairly constant attention. Karts intended for dirt oval racing might have more ground clearance but they only turn left with any effectiveness. Running a kart on the street is dangerous in any event and, if it matters, illegal. I never had luck finding a parking lot where I could run for more than 10 minutes before getting chased off. Yard karts are better for just playing around; more ground clearance and knobby tires good for grass and dirt, and speed-governed 4 strokes that'll run forever if you stay away from ethanol-laced gas.

BigBird and StaccatoFan like this.
  18. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Price on the CRF110?

19. StaccatoFan

I have a previously interested party on that CRF. And, I haven't necessarily made my final decision on what's going to happen with it.
    A LOT will have to do with how much "Baby D-Zum" grows between now and the start of next season I believe. But, I will definitely keep you in mind, Sir.

TurboBlew and SuddenBraking like this.
  20. Sabre699