1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High school football clobbering

Discussion in 'General' started by StanTheMan, Nov 3, 2021.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Ah yes; this reminds me of the ol' Tedd Cobb as a second year Novice v. Mad Brad "discussion." Italian cams for everyone!

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Heard about this on the radio to work, they should absolutely let them play, welcome to life, if you guys and your coaches suck that bad you deserve the loss and maybe try and get better. Hate the new comfort /cancel culture. They deserve to have their heads down low because obviously the players and coaches are not in the game, you suck, work hard and get better or go cry to mom, its football. Good for the other team and coach because I'm sure they worked hard and had plays and plans

BigBird likes this.
  3. Shawn A.

Shawn A. Well-Known Member

What do you want the ball carrier(s) to do? Fall over at the 5 yard line?

If you don't want to lose that badly, get better. I would have pulled the first string guys, however.

I been in this situation before, we had a small High School JV team one year, guys played both sides of the ball. We were way ahead and wanted to alleviate the misery so we pulled our starting QB. The issue was we didn't have a back up. We used our D tackle who wanted it give it a go. He ran for a touchdown and threw for another. It is hard to tell the kids that we can't play our hardest.

Sometimes, life sucks!

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Why do we know about this?

If this is the worst thing that happens to these kids that makes national news while they're in high school, they're doing just fine. We got blown out quite a few times in high school and, as I recall, the worst thing that happened was a lot more running during Monday's practice. But our losses weren't blasted all over the national news.

The team is 2-8. They know they aren't that good at football. Now the whole country knows. Unfortunate that they're getting attention they didn't ask for and all the "good sportsmanship" comments circulating the internet are coming from people that had absolutely nothing to do with that game.

Some of the kids are alright. Teaching them that it isn't alright to feel alright is way more dangerous to their development as humans than losing a high school football game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7.com/amp/football-high-school-sports-athletes-rivals/11188954/

"The media is making it more terrible than it has to be," Scruggs said. "A game is a game. We lost. There's nothing there."

5. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

I can honestly say sportsmanship is a lost art.

The last school my kids were in they were begging for coaches for soccer, basketball and baseball.

My daughter asked me to coach her soccer team because the teacher that had volunteered was completely lost.

Unfortunately at that point the decent kids had already quit knowing what had happened in previous years. That team was lacking in skill but played their hearts out. (we barely had enough for a team) I'd start every game talking to the opposing coach that my team was weak. I'd ask that after their fifth goal if they could pass the ball three times before scoring. Every game was a slaughter. One kid running through a tired defense and scoring. Coaches and parents celebrating like their kids were some kind of hero's.

I retired from coaching after that.

RichB likes this.
  6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Dolphin fans were whining on their message boards that the Bills ran up the score at the end of a 26 -11 game. :crackup:

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

A few of these Inglewood kids might be able to shop themselves to the Lions while their coach and principal are busy issuing apologies for winning a high school football game.

BigBird likes this.
  8. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

My issue isn’t one team sucking so bad, but the winning team leaving your starters in the whole game? Going for 2-pt conversion while leading 104-0? Being good sports is a life lesson too many have forgotten it seems. Now, as someone has already pointed out, if you put the 2nd or 3rd-stringers in and they’re still crushing the opponent, then that’s entirely a different animal. And as a coach, why wouldn’t you want to give other players some game time experience? You might discover a diamond in the rough, but at the least prepare players in case of injuries to a starter.

9. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

i agree w the kids need to learn how to lose, but going for two points? The game i had an issue w the team was hanging a guy for more goals wtf? I hate participation trophies but if younare trying to really shuff it up your opponents @ss i, not for it. Yes play the game , go for the point after.

The reason coaches do run up the score is for the ranking system. In order to keep your rank up when playing a lower level team you really need to blow them out.

10. StanTheMan

i understand what you’re saying but why not 77-0? That’s certainly sufficient to say the least. At some point you’re just being a dick.

JBall likes this.
  11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I guess all my coaches were dicks. We didn't stop playing to win until the clock ran out.

969, Kev59, sdg and 1 other person like this.
  12. StanTheMan

You miss my point. I never said stop playing to win. But leaving your starters in when you’re winning 80-0? Going for 2-pt conversion while leading 104-0?

13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

At least we know where you got it from :Poke:

There's no reason to leave the first stringers in there or go for two - that's just classless. Now, if you've put your JV in there and they're still whipping them, that's a different story.

14. Venom51

There is no point to be made. The coach can do whatever the coach wants to do. If I wanted input into what happens during the game I'd find a team to coach.

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

And you turned out great!

:D

16. Venom51

We'll I am going to petition Formula one to create a rule that states when one team is more than 100 points ahead in the championship standings that they will be forced to put one of the pit crew behind the wheel so the other teams don't have to feel so bad about losing.

You don't want them to be deemed classless after all.

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I read this story a few days ago and those of you saying let them play obviously didn't. The winning school is in a division which includes some of the top teams in the country. Now why the beaten school is in this region too is something for the school board to decide, but it was known before they even played that it would be slaughter. What satisfaction is there in annihilating someone who is a much weaker opponent? The answer, there is none. I've been on both sides too, but the clock always ran when it was inevitable. Totally classless.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  18. StanTheMan

We’re talking high school (amateur) sports. Not multi-million dollar sports here. You’re changing the subject.

Jed and Monsterdood like this.
  19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

While you're at it, why not have Formula 3 cars race against Formula 1? Or how about match up welterweight boxers against heavyweights? Shit, have the WNBA champion play the NBA. It's all about winning at any cost.

Monsterdood likes this.
  20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Comparing the pinnacle of a professional sport (and a quite boring one, although that's neither here nor there) to high school athletics is an interesting debate tactic.

FastByKids likes this.