1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 1198s, should I buy one?

Discussion in 'General' started by buzz-06, Oct 21, 2021.

1. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

What an awesome strategy.....was looking through some of your pictures.....just wow.

Would love to do something similar....just don't have any riding buddies anymore that could also go.

2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I mean, if you want to, drag somebody along.
    It is much better going by yourself. It is truly zen time for me. Wash off in lakes and creeks. Cook out on the tiny stove or stop in at a small town diner. The worst part is knowing that I have to go home.

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

You're on a Ducati. There's a decent chance that you won't make it home.

SuddenBraking and pickled egg like this.
  4. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

:crackup: Heathen be gone from me!

5. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

@ClemsonsR6 If you decide to go, better see this place within a couple of years. It's one of my favorite places to camp, 188 square miles, totally dark, nothing but the wind. There's no place like it 'cept maybe in Bolivia. I don't share my favorite places, but this one is about to be closed to mine fertilizer. BLM land, it is probably a 30+ year project, and it will undoubtedly ruin the whole area. Makes me sick, but humanity happens. I'm glad I experienced the 80's and I am not a young man in this contemporary world. Whew.

See it while you can. No regrats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You still have your 1299?

7. Yep. I need to sell it, and I plan on doing it every time i get home. Then i get busy and forget about it. Which sucks, because IIRC, it has less than 1,500 miles on it or some shit. But it just continues to go down in value because i keep letting it sit around.

8. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Are you able to race at all anymore?

9. I don't know.

Ive only regained about 5% of the feeling in my thighs and knees. But that isnt really a show stopper, ive learned to manage.

Right now, I can't bend over at the waist or twist enough to ride a motorcycle. So that is holding me back. But that should come back with time. Well, partially back. Because of the fused discs down there, it will never be able to move like before. But with time it will be better than it is now.

The biggest thing is that the Neurosurgeon can't tell me what will happen in a crash. Well, I understand nobody can tell anybody that. But I just want him to tell me how my risk is now vs before. We are all willing to accept the risks to race. I just want him to tell me if my risk of paralysis with this new spine is equal to or greater than what it was before.

In other words, I want to know if all of this hardware created a greater risk.

10. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Its generally creates fail areas above and below the hardware. Discs will take the beating of day to day routines and wear faster than normal. As for as orthopedic damage, if your bone health is good then it should stand up to the usual trauma from a low side.

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

I miss all the Italian bikes I've ever owned. For the track, the RSV4. For the street, I'm not sure if I miss the 999 or the 1198 more. The 999 was honestly pretty damn comfortable as a street bike considering its track pedigree, and yes, the 1198 was absolutely miserable on the street. All the weight on the wrist, really long tank so lots of stress on the back, even the stock exhaust was like a goddamn volcano between your thighs. But I still think about that bike and how it made me feel, 10 years later now.

12. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I have a 996 and the hot as lava pipes is probably my biggest gripe as well. Even wrapped they're stupid hot. It also is a horrible bike around town. It likes being out in the open and allowed to stretch it's legs. I enjoy the rawness and lack of rider aides though. I'd sell it, but it's too damn pretty. I have a 748 that is a much better ride around town. Seems pefectly content putting around in traffic, less torque makes it easier to ride daily and the pipes are far less hot for some reason, and they are not wrapped.

13. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Bottom line I failed to share: I would absolutely love to own an 1198 again. I still think about it 10 years later. It's not entirely rational, but then, love and excitement is rarely rational.

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

A coworker has a 1998 916SPS that he rides occasionally and keeps meticulous. The bike is pure sex spank bank material. He lives north of you in Fernie, BC and I keep trying to tell him that bike needs to move to Texas where it would be warm and comfortable all year long. So far he is failing to see my logic...:crackup:

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Will it fit on @Dave Wolfe 's couch?

pickled egg and Dave Wolfe like this.
  16. Tim Dobbertin

Tim Dobbertin Well-Known Member

I've got an Ohio motorcycle tag with a variation of the same characters on your plate. haha

jrsamples likes this.