1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 1198s, should I buy one?

Discussion in 'General' started by buzz-06, Oct 21, 2021.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I can not disagree with you on that. We are talking shades of grey here. They are both beautiful machines. But for some reason I like the 916's just a little bit more.

2. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

I totally forgot about this test I did back in 2009 https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2009-literbike-shootout-88218.html?page=1

David Brent levels of cringe worthy writing skills here! for those that don't know, I'm an Ex-pat Brit living in the USA since 1987.

The Duc is pure racetrack sex. And for that it suffers and excels.

“When I first saw the Ducati in the flesh, I must admit to being a little wowed by the beauty of her,” commented Speed Kelly. “Like some runway supermodel dressed in high-couture fashion, it’s for sure the looker of the bunch. As my mates would say back home in Olde Blighty; "It's the dog's bollocks, innit mate!"

I remember I got stuck with riding the bike back home from the Angeles Crest to the south Bay in LA. I thought this is going to be awesome. By the time I got to DLTA on the 110S it was awful.

Fun times. Personally if I was ever to get an older Ducati it would be 998s. Enough power to still be fun, with that amazing classic design that will never go out of style.

Still if you heart is set on 1198s, go for it. It's a Ducati, they are always brought with the heart, not the head.

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

My 848 was my first real attempt to step up from the LW class (racing), and looking back it was like 3 years of negative learning on how to ride- and that bike had every chassis part you could think of including the RS swingarm. When I got my R6 it was a revelation. I couldn't believe how easy it was to make it go where it's supposed to. I knew the 848 was a bitch on the race track, but half the reason I kept it, I was so in love with the sound and the look- when I did the D200 on it, I was the only Duc to finish the race- the second year I was the only Duc to start the race. Alot of people came up to me, there was only one Duc roaring around on the banking and it made an impression. Ducatis will do that. The fast guys always figured out how to go fast on them, but it wasn't without work.

I never understood all the hate on the 999- I get that the 996 was a tough act to follow, but that was one hell of a motorcycle, especially after '05.

I did have a brief foray into track days with a 996, that was a really fun bike, but it was my first step up from riding the 1000DS on track so basically anything felt better chassis wise. But man did that thing look and sound good. Can you see a pattern here?

YamahaRick and rd400racer like this.
  4. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

totally understand all points being made, I think what I should have expressed early on is I’ve had my share of Japanese race bikes. I know how to go fast-ish around a race track and completely understand that a Ducati is not prime choice. I think it’s a desire, a lust if you will, for a motorcycle I’ve always thought was super cool because they look and sound so good. I have no intention of racing it and as stated before it may see a trackday but that’s a big maybe.

I’ve just been kicking around a street bike for a bit and want something that’s not the norm.

5. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Dude go for it. If its a streetbike, it will get you to the local coffee shop no problem.

6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I had an 08 848, beautiful bike, had fun on the street with it, as for the track it was hard to go fast, had the pedigree but could never line it up like Gino said, when I got an r6 after my rc51 at full speed at turn one at jennings has to stand the bike up cause almost hit the inside grass, lol. But anyone who likes motorcycles should own a ducati once in their life. Thinking of going old school 996/998 soon

7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Oh I get it 100%! You've come to the right place, and you sound more committed than me.

I can think of 3 threads I've started about bikes that I never bought, but the urge was strong at the moment I was typing. Last month I was dying for an R1, now I'm watching Ducati V2 videos and dreaming of a supersport setup. With the way they are planning to neuter the electronics in 2024 though, I might as well do a V4 for stock 1ooo. But you have to run the R (expensive), which leads me back to the R1, which is half the cost and still has all the neat stuff. None of which matters anyway as I would struggle to qualify on that bike and should probably just stick to twins where I'm actually making progress. Which has got me looking at R7's to convert and go alongside my FZ........

But even frivolous motorcycle talk is better than the divorce thread, right? Although one might lead to the other if you're not careful.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Everyone hated the Terblanche designs.

9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I liked them. Even the ugly duckling air cooled Multistrada had its charm.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Who would have EVER guessed you’d like something designed by a dude named Pierre…. :Poke:

cha0s#242 likes this.
  11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Lol, ze French stick togezaire !

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Sticky, la fromage! :D

13. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

At first glance, I thought that you had referenced sticky frottage, which is disgusting even by your standards.

14. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

1: That's a hell of a deal for a clean-ish (definitely needs a fork service looking at the photos) 1198s.

2: If you're buying this bike because you want the big twin Ducati experience - go fer it. You don't buy an old norton because they're the fastest bikes around a racetrack, or a 60s Vespa because it gets the best fuel economy of all scooters. You buy those types of machines because they give you an experience you can't get elsewhere. Buy it, romp it, laugh your ass off, love it.

3: If you're buying it to attend the occasional track day for fun - it's perfectly adequate with some free modifications (chassis setup really).

4: If you're wanting one to truly go fast at a 'modern-ish' pace, it'll need 2 or 3 key components but they drastically transform the bike. Good news is the 1198 generation bikes are new enough that most good parts are readily available still and affordable. Not yet old enough that you're paying through the nose for crazy 90s RS/Corse parts like you would on my old turd.

The 1198 was really the last great old school Duc. Yes the 1199/1299 were obviously twins, but the philosophy behind their design was so completely different they're hardly comparable. Each magnificent in their own ways. An 1198 with a full Ti-system quickshifting it's way down a racetrack with sound booming off the walls is something that's awfully hard to beat.

camp170, Gino230 and younglion like this.
  15. Which model Duc had the 2 headlights on top of each other?

That one was my favorite (aside from the Panigale).

16. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Buy the bike, have fun with it, there is nothing like a big v twin that has power at 3000 rpms. Kind of jealous, would like to feel that big thumper engine below me

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  17. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

That would be the 999, always liked them too.

Got a line on another, just waiting for pictures and price. Sounds like it’s going to be a better purchase being as it just had a full desmo service performed.

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Dont be a bitch buy the bike already!!

Err wait wimmens buy everything at the drop of a credit card

Dont be a cheap ass SOB mother effer and buy the bike!!

19. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

Ducatis are great bikes and I can understand anybody wanting one but I love my Aprilia RSV4. I am on my second one and nothing in the world sounds like it other than a MOTOGP bike and it really handles well with a minimum of fuss. The bottom line is, you only live once so get what you want.

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Agreed, the 916/996/998 is the most beautiful sportbike ever made. I've had several 998s but currently without as I sold my Bostrom last year. If I ever come across an amazing 998R, I think I will grab it.