1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any dodge ram mechanics on here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Morgan, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I have a 2014 ram express regular cab. I'm not in the US much but its nice to have a truck in FLL. Put 30 k miles on it in 7 years has 52 k now. It has been a great truck with no mechanical problems other than changing the battery and key fob so can't complain. But have my tire tps sensor warning gone off about 1000 miles ago. I have a pressure gauge and can fill my tires with air.
    Now as of yesterday my anti lock break alarm lights are on, it shuts of cruise control which isn't a huge deal, my anti lock break system is in my head on my right foot or my right two fingers. But is their any issues if I just leave these warning lights on or is there certain known gremlins that could be an easy fix????? :beer:

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

ABS light could as simple as a dead wheel speed sensor. You'll need to pull the codes to give you some direction. Anything else is just guessing.

TPMS I wouldn't worry about unless it bothers you. It's a nice to have feature and not a neccessity. ABS on the other hand I much prefer to know what's going on and correct it.

Gino230 likes this.
  3. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

If it sits around that much, could be a rodent wire chewing issue. Probably just a wheel speed sensor, though.

4. Captain Morgan

How do I check that and can I fix it myself?

5. lee955i

Find an Autozone and have them pull the codes.

6. Captain Morgan

Just buying cleaning supplies and see Advance auto and other parts stores offer a quick diognstant
    Thanks, will give it a go

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Mine came up as a wheel sensor ended up being a raw wire by PSR wheel

racepro171 likes this.
  8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Check the brake fluid. That mileage it’s probably due for front brakes. Low fluid sets off the light and throws a code.

cav115 likes this.
  9. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Have a full size spare with a tpms sensor on it? Spare may be low on air. My truck monitors the spare also

R1M370 likes this.
  10. Venom51

Very possible. Almost no one checks the spare for air pressure until they are on the side of the road with a spare as flat as the tire they took off.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    tony 340 likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Our 08 doesn't have TPMS on the spare. What was fun was having one dead sensor for a couple of years :crackup:

12. Captain Morgan

I did a full brake job last year with all new fluid, having a lazy weekend before work starts tomorrow and will bring it buy the auto store to check the codes and get me an hour off the boat

13. lee955i

Rams don't do that.

14. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Just FYI, pulling codes is not a diagnosis. Codes tell you what circuit to look at. The problem could be the circuit code name, but not always.

That`s why all the parts stores print a list of parts.... it`s a guess at that point.

tony 340 likes this.
  15. Venom51

Yeah. I was trying to make it clear that you need the codes to point you in a direction. Once you have that it is time to put on the diag hat and verify what is broken and why.

cav115 likes this.
  16. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Post the codes

17. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

Ours was a broken wire to a sensor on the driver side rear wheel. Mechanic said it "looked like it had been cut"; I'm sure it hadn't been cut but possibly rodent chewed, we have a lot of critters around and have had those issues before.

Same symptoms, ABS light and disabled cruise control.

18. Captain Morgan

Boat show is going on this week so working, been a lazy bum on the truck. My oil is new and had a full brake service done 1000 miles ago. Leaving Wednesday for a while so when I get back I'll check it out. Been back and forth a lot all week with no issues. Still is a great truck, a dodge ram guy for life, was bending over the dock 2 weeks ago and my keys fell into the drink. Maybe 5 minutes in salt water, got a mask dived down, took the fob apart quick, rinsed it with bottled water. Blew the water out, and let it air dry while fishing, just hoping it would start once to get me home. It's been 2 weeks with no issues but carry my spare fob just in case

19. Captain Morgan

Basically if I get the codes don't have the time or need to fix it before I go.