1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 1198s, should I buy one?

Discussion in 'General' started by buzz-06, Oct 21, 2021.

1. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

So I’ve always liked the looks of Ducati’s and I find myself more and more interested in a bike for weekend rides and occasionally ride to work. Found a 2010 1198s on cycle trader with about 4500 miles. Wondering what if anything I need to be mindful of or if I should just run the other way all together. I’ve attached a link to the cycle trader ad.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2010-Ducati-SUPERBIKE-1198-S-5018213782

2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Damn Straight, but you have to realize you just asked a crack dealer if you should buy more crack.
    You only live once....

Saiyan66, TurboBlew and dtalbott like this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

it's an S, got akras and boat loads of torque.

i was about to buy one a decade ago, then heard of the 1199 coming out, went for that. still lusting after the 1198 .

DO IT !!!

:D

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

When it comes to buying a Ducati, the answer is always yes.

trussdude likes this.
  7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Dime a dozen...go old school

[​IMG]

TSAVO5150, Gino230, cha0s#242 and 4 others like this.
  8. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

I had a 1098 that I bought with 300 miles. I sold it before the odometer hit 1k. I've had 15 spot bikes since 2000, and the 1098 was the only one I ever hated. Hot, uncomfortable, and it handled like shit at low speeds. Fuck you 1098.

9. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

10. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I love that thing RD.

rd400racer likes this.
  11. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

I don't put down the quickest laps I've ever done on my 1198s but that f'n thing suckerpunches me into laughing fits every time I roll the throttle on. It's old school, probably the last of the big-boom Ducs, and it demands respect when pushing it. Never have I felt more alive on a bike and more lucky to be alive after getting off one.
    Probably suck on the street though.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

As long as it's not a 999...knock yourself out.

13. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

Yeah, not an S and stock exhaust. Full ti/carbon Akra is $3500 and if it really has DP ecu to match then that'd be my choice.

Blast to ride. Looks like a leaking for seal though and quite a bit of clutch dust so there's that. Tell him to throw in the stands and take some $ off for fork service.

I still want to build a 999 with 1198SP engine, stealth-ish track bike as I like that chassis more.

14. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I have the same bike, only it's yellow like a Ferrari.

rd400racer likes this.
  15. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I have (5) and still look for number (6) every day.

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  16. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

Beast of a bike. Get some Xerox bodywork and you can be Carlos Checa from 2010 WSBK at your next Track day.

I only ever Rode 1098s, was ok on the track. Not so OK on the street.

17. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

999r with 1198 engine

Attached Files:

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

WTF you talking about? The 999 is a magnificent bike to ride.

You can’t see how hideous it looks from the operator’s position. :D

dobr24 likes this.
  19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

No.

Unless you give it the SBK treatment, it's no good on a race track and as far as a street bike goes, it's as useless as an R6.

If you like the way it looks and sounds and don't care about how good of a motorcycle it is, then go for it.

@DucatiBomber might have some good insight regarding that chassis and words of wisdom.

crazymofo and DucatiBomber like this.
  20. I have to agree.

Had a 1098S race bike, for about 4 months. Unassed it with the quickness.

In SS trim it took corners like a train, and killed my hands/wrists.

I did love the brakes and the torque, especially since it was legal in the B classes. But overall, I couldnt get rid of it fast enough.

It did sound awesome though.

BTW - as a street bike? Not a chance in fucking hell. It may be physically impossible to find a worse street bike. ALL of your weight is on your hands/wrists, they are VERY hot, transmission is clunky, and maintenance is regular and expensive. Hell, I think an R6 would even be a better street bike.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021