1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbor Freight coupon for Predator 3500

Discussion in 'General' started by KneeDragger_c69, Oct 19, 2021.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Right after the recent hurricane here (Ida) HF had about 6 open box specials that people obviously bought and then returned a week later. I picked up an open box deal for $550 that hadn't even been run (at least didn't look like it, the spark arrester was clean).

beac83, TurboBlew and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  2. NOLAracer

NOLAracer Well-Known Member

What's the real world longevity/reliability? Not I took it out of the box and plug in a light bulb...it works.

3. bluebandit2g

bluebandit2g Well-Known Member

I have one with about 100 trouble free hours. Running Toy hauler AC, warmers , power tools, etc. My opinion is the key to these and many china motors is the break in. Most folks just throw oil in and run the shit out of it for 200 hours till it burns up and then say its junk. If you do a "proper" break in I think it will last a good long time. There are plenty of folks ive seen online with over 1000 hours on theirs. I ran mine no load for 30 min, changed the oil. It looked like Elton John's jacket it had so many sparkles in it. Ran it again for 30 min with a drop light attached. Changed the oil. Little less metal. Then ran it for 2 hour increments at 25/50% load. Let it heat cycle in between. Changed oil. Looked ok. Then ran 1 hour straight at 75/90% load. Changed oil looked good. Installed a magnetic dipstick and off I went and haven't had one issue. Changed to oil a couple times since and it looks great with no flakes. Seems like a lot of work but its super easy to change the oil and doesn't hold much so it didn't cost a lot to do.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

curious why you think it matters loaded or unloaded?? What is it you think breaks in? Sure theres loads of debris that any notable marquis brand would be horrified at...
    My buddies was pulled from the box a couple years ago and been running nonstop most every MA round and select club weekends since under at least 1/2 load or more powering a trailer, warmers, etc. Other than some spark arrestor cleaning... and a plug change no issues. It was ran a solid year with the battery disconnected for the electric start. He runs whats left of his open bottle 300v stock and it burns zero oil. Its ugly as heck... sun bleached and dirty from riding thousands of miles in a truck bed. Hence how Im impressed that $700 genny lasted. Ironically he has an old kipor 3500 he cant get parts for... tis the only reason why he bought the predator.

5. bluebandit2g

My version of breaking it in like a new bike. Run it like you plan to ride it. Since the engine maintains a pretty constant RPM unless you load or unload it, cant vary the RPM or "load" on the motor (no throttle) I vary the load on the engine by varying the output. I dont think it "breaks in" anything within the electric portion of the unit. Simply referring to breaking in the gas engine. The main thing is the oil for sure. To each their own. I know some folks that have lawn mowers/generators, bikes etc they have had for years. Never change air filters or oil and their stuff still runs fine. My luck usually doesn't work like that

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. NOLAracer

NOLAracer Well-Known Member

Blue and Turbo...was that on the enclosed inverter or the open frame predator?

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

3500 box invertor type. I agree it needs to be flushed prior to running. Factory compressed air must be a luxury. :)

8. bluebandit2g

Mine is the inverter type. There are a gazillion youtube videos on that unit and mods etc.

9. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I had 1100 hours on my first one and took it back with the warranty since I left it out in the rain all weekend and the hour screen button “stopped” working.

Second one I have 900 hours on it so far so good.

I run mine from Thursday when I get to the track until Sunday when I’m about to roll out running the toy hauler, warmers etc.

Change the oil every 50 hours and spark plug once a season.

Phl218 and TurboBlew like this.
  10. Key right here. Get all the crap out of there up front and try to limit the damage while doing it.

bluebandit2g likes this.
  11. To me it’s just treat your tools how you want to be treated. Anything with a motor to me has a soul, I cannot keep running something with crap oil, etc. Lots will say I waste my money but it helps me sleep at night.

bluebandit2g likes this.
  12. CBRGriff

CBRGriff Well-Known Member

What are the chances they have a "Black Friday" sale on these things? I'm ready to start building out my 6 X 12 for camping and this is a piece of the puzzle.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Chances are very good.

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

15. CBRGriff

CBRGriff Well-Known Member

So inside track, CC and black Friday would probably get me a decent deal. I probably don't need the 3500, the 2000 would likely work. I figure the 3500 would be semi useful for a power outage though.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just get the 3500, hell, I got it last year and wish I'd gone for the 9500...

If they have a good enough deal I may upgrade and sell the small one.

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Not saying they're bad, but I have seen very few reviews of the 2000 and wouldn't assume every genset in the line is the same quality. A ton of people have the 3500's and other than maybe having to do a couple easy "hacks" they've been praised highly.
    Personally, for a 1k or 2kw inverter I'd buy a new or used Honda or Yamaha.

And if you think that 2020 BF ad represents a good deal on the 3500...you are clearly not a regular HF shopper. $30 off an $800 regular price is not worth waiting for BF sales.

The power doesn't go out here often, but I've used my EF2000i a few times to keep aquarium filters and the fridge going. If it's winter and I need to add a space heater...forget it.

18. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Check local Facebook marketplace. I've seen folks with 4 or 5 for sale. Assume they bought them and used for a job or hurricane and selling. Most look brand new. Probably will pick up a second 2k soon.

19. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Near me in north ATL, I see on FB a couple folks with a bunch of these generators pictured near a storage shed. They're selling the 3500 new for around $500-600. Feels like stolen merch to me, but I could be wrong.

20. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

The predator at my buddies deer camp runs non stop from Friday to Monday almost every weekend.

This one has at least 1000hrs on it. Heck I just got home and we haven't shut it off in 4 days.

Oil change every weekend.

Spark arrestor removed since new.

Fuel system cleaner ran every weekend.

Nice and quiet small package that packs a punch

I will probably check valve lash after winter and we may or may not go up 1 notch in oil thickness.......after winter it will have 2000 hrs.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.