1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CVT Transmissions

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

So far I haven't heard anything good about them. I even read that the life expectancy of one is slightly over 100K miles. Are all CVT's like that?

Just bought a 21 Toyota Corolla from Copart to fix, and use as a beater. Curious about what to expect?

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Nissan changes them out like they do oil changes...they just don't tell everyone. I doubt the Toyota is any better although I don't have a Toyota service writer I know to get the same info as the Nissans.

VFR#52, TurboBlew and dtalbott like this.
  3. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Expect to absolutely hate driving it.

Knotcher and BigBird like this.
  4. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I was wondering why everyone hated them so much until I drove my girlfriends new HRV, they’re very buzzy and just feel weird. Not sure about reliability but I think they’re more expensive to repair. Why are they being used so much now is my question?

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

[​IMG]

Rented some nisshit something at the Denver airport then drove to Pikes Peak, then drove up and down the mountain a few times.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  6. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Fuel economy.

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Works well with my Zumas.

Once a Wanker.. and tiggen like this.
  8. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

CVT can keep the engine at a regulated point to achieve emission compliance.

9. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

2013 prius c with 210k miles. Took it in at 190k for a fluid service, figured why not. Absolutely nothing wrong mechanically and i drive like like i stole it its whole life.

I read somewhere they help lower displacement cars accelerate better.

10. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Ah, didn’t know that, thanks.

My new to car is a 6 speed manual, hadn’t had a stick in a few years and I’m loving it.

11. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

My expectations of driving experience is pretty low, but I want it to be a reliable beater. Certainly, it is not good business for a manufacturer to have to warranty-service transmissions at oil change intervals. Aren't pretty much all cars going CVT now?

12. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

The IVT in my Kia has been fine so far… took some getting used to for sure, but it doesn’t have the ‘rubber band’ feeling the Honda and Nissan had.

works well for a commuter, definitely not a performance transmission

13. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

No,CVTs can't handle much power, mostly small 4cyl. Cars.

14. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Absolutely hate the CVT in my ‘14 Subaru Crosstrek! You press down on the accelerator pedal and you never know what is going to happen…. it completely isolates your input from what the car chooses to do with that input. The only thing you can count on is that it’s going to get very loud!

Subaru extended the factory warranty on this car to ten years or 100,000 miles due to failures. I plan to not own it past those milestones.

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Thus explaining why they work on Yamaha scooters. :D

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Somewhat...Mazda doesn't play that CVT game and neither does the Germans.

You know, companies that actually care about the driving experience

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

You could sleep with a crazy chick and not get herpes. Even if she was Albanian and had a monobrow. Most people don't share your good fortune.

pickled egg likes this.
  18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I believe they are getting better for reliability. Honda does theirs in house now and is supposedly reliable. Nissan and Subaru still buy outsourced. Not sure about Toyota, but I think it is in house and as the Prius owner above states, pretty reliable. The new outsourced ones are not good, but better than the first gen.

Repair costs coming down as more places learn how to work on them. Same with any tech when it first goes mainstream.
    Driving one still sucks and when they program them to act like a regular automatic they lose some of the efficiency and performance gains.

19. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Is your body cheap and you're going to fix it and use it as a beater don't even worry about it .just drive it

It is what it is fuel economy.... plain and simple.
    Don't expect more out of it other than what it's designed for....
    don't expect it to perform like a regular automatic and obviously don't expect it to perform like a stick shift.you
    should be fine as long as there is not some inherent issue.
    As with any 4-cylinder Japanese economy car use it for what it's designed for keep up your maintenance and by golly you should be able to get close to 300,000 miles out of one.
    If it's a European car..... forget it

20. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Also MPG engines have an optimum window and the theory is varying the ratio is far more efficient than varying the transmission. This from when I worked as a transmission control software person according the manufacturer. I did not work on CVTs though.

baconologist likes this.