1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That New New Tundra 2022-3rd Gen

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 20, 2021.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Turbos have come a long way. With ball bearing and the lack of need for a turbo timer these days, they are pretty much going to last as long as the engine lasts

racerx13 likes this.
  2. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I would bet the farm you're not getting a consistent 200k miles from a turbo on these trucks.

tony 340, FastByKids and bitorius like this.
  3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

+1. My land cruiser with the 5.7 got 13-14 around town and 15-16 on the highway. My Silverado with the 6.2 is getting 20-21 on the highway. They Toyota was better in almost every other measure (except power) though. I almost bought a tundra but it came down to what I could get a better deal on.

TurboBlew and zertrider like this.
  4. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Which shows that Toyota's marketing department is on point again... Not saying that necessarily produces great products, but you got to give them credit for "build a truck that has everything a GM/Ford/Ram has"...

Not that the others don't do that, but they seem to have a limit to that practice that Toyota (selling a lot less units) doesn't.

BigBird likes this.
  5. archrider

archrider Active Member

BigBird likes this.
  6. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

Credit given, all the brand make nice truck these days. Just pick the flavor you like.

7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Yep...you're not really going to buy a BAD truck anymore...

Maybe one or two/few features or capabilities may stand out for a specific buyer more, and sway that buyer to that
    brand/model for that purpose.

OR one or two things may be enough to turn a buyer off.

Toyota as an example (since it's the thread's topic)...hopefully the new generation gets better fuel economy. I'd buy their truck as a daily. 16mpg would not work for me.

8. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I have the previous generation Tundra and it has been a great truck. Towing 12,000 pounds and having an almost 2000 pound payload sounds very good for a half-ton truck. We always want stuff to do more but then you get the ride quality of a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. The side of the truck definitely looks like a Chevy and the grill as others pointed out is a bit much; its too bad the designers couldn't do something different. Another odd thing to note is many parts from my generation tundra are made in the US and you order OEM parts from some domestic brands and they are made in China, kind of disappointing.

BigBird likes this.
  9. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

I’m looking forward seeing one in person, I think the fact that it’s a Toyota makes me like the idea of their version of a hybrid more than the Ford. Hopefully they offer the TRD Pro in Crew cab and a 6’ bed, I am glad that with this generation you can get the crew cab with a longer bed at least. I think Ford has more features on their hybrid setup that make it appealing, but I feel like Toyota is more likely to build a bullet proof version. Getting mid 20’s around town and 570 ft lbs of torque certainly has its appeal.

BigBird likes this.
  10. bitorius

bitorius Active Member

They are all nice for different things. The Cummins tow like nothing is back there, and they're quiet. Easy to rack up miles and not have range anxiety(700 mi range) or play with shifting/gas pedal on climbs. I had EGR issues on my 3500, and on my 2500, various build issues (cab mounts loose, wiring loom came loose into fan blades)...all under 35K.

The Tundra and Tacoma(I4) had no issues, other than the few times I towed over 10K and blew the rear axle. Routinely tow at the rated limit on the Tacoma too.

I hope the new Tundras are as reliable...I really want to a quieter truck with better range. Sucks to tow at 4mpg through the hills with range being almost nothing.

BigBird likes this.
  11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Yea that tiny little tank in my 2008 was ridiculous! I think that I was stopping every 175-225 miles for gas. Total PITA when hauling long distances.

bitorius likes this.
  12. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

The Nissan Titan Diesel was an absolute disaster.

zertrider and StaccatoFan like this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

FTFY

969 and bored&stroked like this.
  14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Good point...that kinda shows how much attention I give to Nissan in general. The only product they make that I've given any
    look at is the Z car, and then after seeing the interior and sitting in it, walked away. It felt like a 1975 VW Beetle inside...and for the price,
    I couldn't live with those ergos. Two biggest things for me when buying a car (daily driver) are

1) fuel economy cause getting to work isn't a fun driving experience....it's just going to work, and I want to get there for as little cost as possible. (And gas isn't going to be getting any cheaper for the next couple years).

2. interior...the controls and guages need to be easily accessible and easily viewed. Don't want the 10K upgrade package for the "Platinum" or whatever so I have a bigger screen and touch controls aka an iPad built into my dash. I got an XLE package on my Highlander Hybrid with a $70 Garmin GPS from Amazon because I don't like using my phone for nav, and it works just fine.

Come to think of it, I new a couple that
    got one of those full sized trucks in a diesel, and they were VERY happy when it got totaled in an accident (not their fault, they got hit).

They were all excited to get a Nissan truck with a Cummins in it. After a while and actually using it, they were extremely unhappy and disappointed with
    pretty much the whole package.

The biggest sports car disappointment in the last couple years for me has been the return of the Supra. Man....Toyota....rebadging a BMW Z4 was the best you could do?
    Talk about a lazy effort to bring back an iconic name/product. I mean I like it better side by side than the Z4 as far as looks...but just come on Toyota.....you could have and do have the
    engineering resources and funds to do that name some justice.

15. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

What was so bad? We had one here when they first came out and I thought it drove nice.

16. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Well, I agree they are all capable, but the prices they are charging these days is really obscene. And I'm talking pre-covid, vehicle shortage times. To "justify" the prices, they've been slathering on the "features".

I think it is "mine out the gold strike" time for full-sized pickups and that trucks are in their "new! higher tailfins" days like 50's cars. They are all outlandishly exaggerated and bombastic. I'm guessing that pickup truck brightwork is bigger than a new Peterbuilt!

I was mildly embarrassed to drive my 2007 Tundra around when I first got it because it was so overwrought styling-wise compared to anything short of the Dodge at the time. But, now, it seems subtle and subdued. And the at the time over-the-top grill styling of the dodge seems like classic design now.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, though. All this one-upsmanship in this category has opened up the lower-end to competitors. And the cleaner styling of most electric prototypes has made the "47 power bulges in the fenders" stuff look pretty silly.

When I got my Tundra (a very early one), you couldn't really custom order one. The best deal at the time was to go "all in" and get the limited. It was more than I wanted, but seems like a "stripper" now. No full-glass power roof and back window, no 17" color display, mechanical gauges, no radar cruise or automatic trailer backer, blah, blah, blah.

The new ones are nice vehicles, no doubt, but they should be for that price. Hoping I can hold on to mine until the offerings get a little more vehicle and a little less "transformer" in design and features.

bitorius likes this.
  17. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Apparently the regen system and major quality control issues. It was so bad Nissan quit making them because dealers couldn’t keep up with warranty claims. Sad, had potential.

BTW I have a 2019 low grade Titan 4x4 with a V8. Thus far truck has been flawless. Only thing wrong thus far are warped front rotors. I tow a loaded 6x12 trailer around the states so that most likely a contributing factor. Just now going over 30K. It was one of those deals right when the pandemic started and dealers were giving vehicles away. Truck is probably worth 10-15kmore than I purchased.

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Much the same as the CVT transmission. They treat those like oil changes. Everytime a cra comes in they almost expect to put a transmission in it.

19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Mine was in the shop constantly. Was absolute garbage. I just don’t even have the patience right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  20. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I love my 2010 Sequoia but a crew Tundra with the 6.5 bed and rear air suspension sounds enticing.

BigBird likes this.