1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That New New Tundra 2022-3rd Gen

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 20, 2021.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

going to be nice at Whole Foods

[​IMG]

-twin-turbo V6 instead of the V8 for 2022, though the V6 makes 479 lb-ft of torque, which is more than the 401 lb-ft the current 5.7-liter V8 makes.
    -10-speed automatic
    - will tow up to 12,000 pounds, and with the optional hybrid system, torque will increase to 583 lb-ft

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I don't get the point of no V8. Considering the 2nd gen Tundra gets a whooping 1mpg better with the n/a v6 over the v8, I can imagine the new TT v6 actually getting worse mileage.

418, sharkattack and Gorilla George like this.
  3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Definitely a positive progression n their full sized truck evolution. I like the hybrid option. Toyota does that technology very well.

They being said. It I ever buy a new truck it will probably be a Ram. Rumor I’ve heard is that their releasing a Cummins with the Allison transmission. That’s powertrain perfection.

Ducti89 and BigBird like this.
  4. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

Still doesn't have a real box.

vfrket likes this.
  5. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

It's the suburban mom version.
    My area is full of them, station wagons that they are.
    Beds too short to haul anything bigger than a bag of fertilizer.
    Front end is too low for any sort of off pavement
    Made to haul the family to Applebee's

BigBird likes this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I just drove a '21 Ram from DC to Montana. Biggest POS I've ever driven! I hated every mile of that stupid loud Hemi POS.

BigBird likes this.
  7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And Toyota rolls out yet another horrendously syled vehicle.

wsmc42, vfrket, Gixxerguy855 and 3 others like this.
  8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If you get a Dually you get the Aisin transmission and I'd rather that than an allison.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Good to know, Thanks. I haven't dug into their product line enough to really know that.

Doubt I'm buying a truck anytime soon, anyway. I just paid my 2017 off this year. I'm basking in that glory and hope to
    have that "Paid off truck lovin' feelin" for a hell of a long time.

BigBird likes this.
  10. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Is there a truck that's 100% front grille yet?

malamute, thrak410 and BigBird like this.
  11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Same motor is in the new LX / Cruiser. Should be a good motor.

BigBird likes this.
  12. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

These massive front grilles are ridiculous... the Cadillac is insane too.

I read an article from R&T or C&D, can't remember, but they lined up like 30 kindergarten kids in front of a silverado and the driver could see the 30th kid.

13. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Hopefully they are offering the new model in the full range of cabs and beds. When I got my 2007, they had the lot.

V8's in trucks (in my opinion) are about torque and horsepower, sure, but also delivering that at a low "stress level". For longevity and simplicity. I'm not sure that a v6, turbo with hybrid assist (sounding more like an F1 car) is the right solution.

If you trade up every year (to get the new 17" dash display instead of your old 14" one), it will probably be fine. But, if you are trying to keep your big investment for a while, I dunno. It is Toyota, and engines have come a long way, but still...

Frankly, my 2007 Tundra is probably a fail in the technological simplicity stakes itself (could that 5.7 ever economically be rebuilt or replaced?), but I wanted some of the features it had back then and took a risk because Toyota. I've (mostly) been lucky so far. But, an LS powered Chevy/GM would have probably been better for that, but they were in a weird place in 2007 for some reason.

Styling... Geez, where to start. Pickups of all brands have lost their way in that regard. They are the 50's tail-fin and dash-mounted record player of the new millenia. The clean styling of upstart electrics should be a wake up call, but they know their market better than me, I guess. I am trying to decide if this is uglier than last year's, or slightly less ugly. Regardless... Ugly.

I have to laugh when a new Mavrick truck has bed sides taller than my Tundra which is really too tall. At least they are providing stairs now.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

The 2022 Toyota Tundra Is A Hybrid Pickup That Doesn't Want To Be A Work Truck

"Another major change is in the suspension. There’s a double-wishbone up front with shocks from Bilstein or Fox, depending the package. The rear gets the biggest revision going from leaf springs to a multi-link setup with coil springs or an air suspension system, depending on options. This is a big deal."

"The new Tundra will only come in four-door configurations, either as a Double Cab or a CrewMax. No more single cabs! Sweers said Toyota will never make a single cab Tundra again, at least not for the American market... Single cab Tundras accounted for one percent of U.S. Tundra sales in 2020, and below four percent for other truck makers."

https://jalopnik.com/the-2022-toyota-tundra-is-a-hybrid-pickup-that-doesnt-w-1847709384

MHRSpeedy likes this.
  15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Which model? My 2019 1500 is noisy at startup but once its running I cant even hear it over the road noise. Been the second best truck I've owned so far. 2008 Tundra was the best but the fuel mileage sucked, 12mpg everywhere and when it got totaled by a drunk driver it was way too expensive to replace it with a new one. I paid $20k less for the Ram at the time and with comparable packages. The eight speed in the Ram is really nice for highway driving.

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Wait till they realize they can just put the headlights and signals inside the grille

rice r0cket likes this.
  17. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I agree. I went from an 18 SLT to a 21 Bighorn and was amazed at the ride, comfort, and quietness of the Ram. Huge step up and as noted, is a great driver. Also, it the 5thGen doesn't have the massive grille look so many have these days, although the styling is hit or miss depending on who you ask.

Phl218 likes this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

ahhh....like Hyundai does

[​IMG]

19. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Payload is really low. Best possible of 1940 and only about 1200 pounds if you get the hybrid.

Phl218 likes this.
  20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

So a not a truck truck...

Phl218 and BigBird like this.