1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Performance Enhancements Waiting to be Perceived!

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by videojack, Sep 19, 2021.

1. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Is it Possible to Convert, a valved, four stroke engine, to function as a Two Stroke, with Valves?

Introducing: Double Duty Cycle Conversion:

Are conventional four stroke, Valve "Spring Pressure" LEVELS, Used over the Past 100 Years, Archaic Over-Kill Flaws, waiting to be Perceived as such?

The Resistance of valve "SPRINGS", are the Most Designed-In Energy-Robbing-Resistance, built within a "conventional 4 stroke engine".

"Combustion Forces" NATURALLY seat, Intake and Exhaust Valves, Into their Place, by the Mushroom Cloud Effect, fanning away from Valve Seating Areas, by design of the dimpled recess!

ACTUAL REQUIRED valve seating PRESSURE RESISTANCE, SHOULD BE Calculated Based Upon, the "Suction Forces" of INTAKE, to Prevent Valves From Opening Into the Combustion Chamber, as the Piston drops!

As a "Vacuum" represents ZERO PSI, and Atmospheric Pressure is 15 PSI, Just How Little "spring-like" pressure is Required to Keep Valves Seated, During Intake Suction Operations?

If Engine braking is the most demanding Vacuum concern, with throttle off, what exactly will be "sucked into" the Combustion Chamber, between "blow by" and, Air minus fuel, as throttle is closed?

By Freeing UP Archaic Valve Spring Pressures RESISTANCE, Valves that Operate without Resistance, require Little force to Activate, over their relatively short distance of travel, 10mm, and angular movement centered around small angel approximation, significantly increasing meantime between failure, ratios.

IF, Valve Seating Pressure RESISTANCE REQUIRED, can be achieved, within a properly designed ABS Plastic Rocker Arm and ABS Plastic Cam, creating new Cam/Rocker Arm Techniques, that connect the Rocker Arm, to the Cam, by "Snapping" onto to both sides of the cam, as a solid "Reference" for Seating/pressure can be obtained by pressure on one side of the cam, with the Rocker Arm and Lobe Action achieved on the Other of the Rocker Arm.

ABS Rocker Arms can connect to Valve Ends, by existing Plastic "Snap In" technology

ABS Cams can have Metal Sleeves designed, where Plastic to Metal Friction may be a concern.

"Double Duty Cycle Conversion" Four stroke Engine Upgrades

With the Resistance of Valve Spring Tension, all but Eliminated, leaving COMPRESSION RESISTANCE, to be Resolved, as the Next Culprit in line.

Noninterference engine Recommended!

Converting 4 stroke engines, to a two-Stroke-Valved-Engine, would Have Exhaust Valves, Wide Open, for "up stroke", plus a minor overlapping into, Intake Valve Opening operations overlap, as Designed by Soichiro Honda, in His CB350K cam perfection, that Creates a Super Vacuum in the "squish area" above the piston, which has Inspired this non-degreed engineer to create, the "Double Duty Cycle Conversion".

The Exhaust stroke, piston Upstroke, IS, full exhaust stroke only, leaving Intake AND Combustion, for the Downstroke, remaining 180 crank degrees.

For a Piston moving away from TDC, in the Down Stroke, a "Super vacuum" allows fuel/air mixture Intake, to Occur over the first 25% of Piston Downward travel, allowing the valve to then seat instantaneously, and fire Ignition simultaneously, for the remaining 70% of piston downward travel,

The First 25% of Down Stroke is Intake.

The Remaining 70% of Down stroke, is Combustion.

With Upstroke covering the complete cycle, without valve SPRING Resistance, you have a complete cycle.

Without valve Spring-Resistance or Compression-Resistance, just how efficiently can a 2 stroke with valves perform, at 14,500 RPM?

Are "Rocker Covers" Conveniently Designed, for Easy Access, to Cams and Rocker Arms?

Would the Larger, Modern Motorcycles of the Americas, experience more improvement in Power, than two Wheeled Technology is prepared for?

By Perceiving INTAKE AND EXHAUST valve "SPRINGS" <--- , as the Unnecessary Resistance, of 100 year old Technology, is such an indication of self enlightenment?

With Conventional four-stroke engines, Perceived as an inefficient use, of Power, combined with the Insights of Soichiro Honda's Gift, laying in wait, I am hoping that those who benefit, from these concepts, might consider me, when determining what to do with those Pesky Valve Springs, Cams and Rockers from the good old days, rather than merely throwing them away?

I Sure would like to make a lot of Submarines out of those Valve Springs.

The "Reardon Metal" of Honda Cam and/or Rocker technology are things that I am still thinking about.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Someone introduce this guy to Ducati, the Desmo valve train has all of the fun, none of the valve springs he hates. (Ok, there are hair spring valves to make startup/idle more civilized but you can run without them.)

videojack and VFR#52 like this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

Ok. I like it. Cliff notes?

videojack likes this.
  4. joec

joec brace yourself

Isn't this where someone is supposed to bring up military secret hamsters or something?

videojack likes this.
  5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Something something water carburetor something big oil...

6. videojack

Thank you, Kurlon! I had used the concept of a Desmo, and believed that the Valve SPRING resistance, was almost unnecessary. Could you please tell me, how the Desmo, prevents Vacuum SUCTION, from pulling the valves open, into the combustion chamber? Jack

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Ducati's use both an opener and closer lobe on the cam, along with matching rockers. At low RPM and throttle, there is a 'hairspring' style spring to provide light seating pressure for the valves when closed. Under those conditions compression / combustion pressure is very weak and may not seat the valves itself reliably. Under load and throttle, the times that 'suction' would be an issue, the intake valve is open 'cause you don't want to waste any potential draw time, when it's closed the pressure in the cylinder seats 'em just fine on it's own.

videojack likes this.
  8. videojack

Sorry guy, what I am submitting is a dual concept, “white paper”, where the first Obstacle has Now been Overcome. Verified by Kurlon, Unnecessary Valve SPRING Resistance, as Kurlon pointed out, means that the Second Part, “Double Duty Cycle Conversion”, is waiting to be perceived.

By using the full Piston Upstroke, for Exhaust gas removal only, and overlapping the tail end of the Exhaust Valve closing, with the beginning of Intake Valve Opening, creates a Super Vacuum, allowing Intake to occur, in the first 25% of piston down stroke, for a rapid-shut-intake-valve, to allow Ignition/Combustion for the remaining 70% piston down stroke, like a two stroke does, in the opposite direction.

Lather, Rinse, and Repeat, and you have a Two Stroke with Valves, on what was originally designed as a Four Stroke Engine;)

Without valve SPRING resistance, and Without Compression Resistance, Running in the Two Stroke Mode, can you perceive how Large Motorcycles of the Americas, may become uncontrol able, on two wheels?

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The downside to this proposed setup is valve area. Take a 4v, figure out the area of the valves. All air/fuel/exhaust has to flow though those openings. Compare those openings to the port area of a typical high output two stroke of similar displacement. There is at least one prototype out there that has a 100% of bore exhaust port, way more area to move gasses than you get with poppet valves at the top of the cylinder. That'll be the limiter of this motor design.

videojack likes this.
  10. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Can we put a blower on it for scavenging and have a 100 yr old designed Detroit Diesel? I played with a few of those up to 1600hp for power generation.

videojack likes this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

my M109 had a Detroit diesel in it. Only 400 HP though

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  12. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

My head hurts...

videojack likes this.
  13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

An intake valve operated purely by intake vacuum, would have problems closing quickly enough except at very low rpm. It requires a heavier spring to accelerate the valve ahead of being slammed closed by the piston. You also can't control the valve timing with a vacuum operated valve, so you would need to have a cam to poen the valve at the right time and allow it to close at the right time. Desmodromic valve actuation as noted by Kurlon allows you to control both opening and closing with minimal spring tension. I doubt that "plastic" rocker arms will ever work due to their flexibility when dealing with the inertial forces involved with translating rotational motion to reciprocating linear motion, especially at high rpm. Remember that energy is calculated with velocity as the squared function.

An interesting proposition, all in all, but I don't see it happening.

crashman and Phl218 like this.
  14. Phl218

Phl218 .

who was it again testing the rotational valve cam ?

videojack likes this.
  15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The sleeve valve has been around for a long time, like the 1920's or 30's. It is well documented in a book, which title I can't remember, by LKJ Setwright.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah, but i thought one of the most recent applications.. koenigsegg? they've been working with electromagnetic and pneumatic actuators afaik

17. DougBowie

DougBowie Well-Known Member

Can’t believe people are being pull in to such a dumb ass question….

videojack likes this.
  18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Still using poppet valves though.

19. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I thought this thread about Testosterona-Cyp and HGH... L8rG8r's

20. videojack

Thank you Doug, for Volunteering, as A Ducati Engine Man, How does Your Spatial Referencing Answer This Question:

Looking at an "unlit", New Moon, from earth, at peak altitude in the Night's Sky, while the Sun is Lighting the Other half of the Earth, assuming that the far side of the moon, is lit, as a full moon, viewable from outer space, why is it that I do Not See, THAT source of Light, LIGHTING the Far Side of the Moon, staring back at me in my eyes?