1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 2022

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

AHRMA are going to Daytona in January, I'm not sure if people want to do two engine rebuilds in such a short time :D

Sabre699 and YamahaRick like this.
  2. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Message I received from a certain "somebody". A lot of speculation going on...

upload_2021-9-17_11-11-30.png

YamahaRick and BigBird like this.
  3. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I may have missed this elsewhere but that TV deal or streaming...for once I won't have to wonder if or where I can watch.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh, the MA TV coverage is soooooo great. :crackup:

Shocker, TLR67 and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  5. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Oh man I almost forgot all about the dude from the 200 this year. What a train wreck.

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

AHRMA will be there for the opener first weekend in Jan 2022...I have never raced at Daytona but will be with the TLR's

Gino230 and noles19 like this.
  7. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I don't see that ideal for club racers at all. CCS on Wednesday and Thursday? So depending on how far you're from the track you would likely have to take a whole week off work. I doubt many people would do that. Many have already complained about the current ROC schedule being Friday - Sunday because now they have to take another day off work, so imagine if it's a full week. There's a good reason why there are barely any club races that happen during a week day, with most organizations.

8. sbk1198

Huh?? I had it all backwards this whole time? Since when does the track pay the organization to be there? I thought tracks have to pay big money to rent out the tracks. Hence our race fees cost as much as they do lol Daytona is backwards and they paid CCS? I'm so confused lol

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Generally, pro series that can get plenty of fans to show up are paid by the tracks. The tracks keep the ticket sales, hopefully bringing in more than they paid the series. For even bigger series, the local govt dishes out money to either the track, series, or both because the influx of fans brings so much local business that its worth it. Amateur clubs don't attract enough fans to allow any of this, so they rent.

I do wonder if MA had to rent tracks in their first year or two. But I doubt this is the case now with their consistent ticket sales and all their metrics.

The Great One and sbk1198 like this.
  10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I would bet the opposite, meaning that they are still renting the tracks. But it's just a guess

11. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

“Supersport” as a class in the industry is fading fast. The FIM have recognized this which is why they are letting in the “Super Mids” as a test. For the first few years, I don’t think you’ll see them allowing the 600’s to be SBK builds. That added expense would hurt. I think you’ll see them limit the rpm on V2 and 765 or with the throttle. The 765 has been running all year in BSB and is not even close to dominating. I thought the V2 was supposed to be running the last few rounds in BSB this year? It’s not like these bikes will come in and dominate the class.

I was surprised when the Yamaha R7 was a twin. I thought it was going to be a badass 699cc in-line to compete in the showroom with the Euro Super-Mids. Maybe we’ll see a R8 triple?

Gino230 likes this.
  12. stangmx13

Ya I'm guessing too. The above "quote" is one of the first times I've seen anyone talk about MA being paid by another entity to host a race. I think they are selling just enough $40 tickets to cover track rental for 4-5 days. So it could probably go either way.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    noles19 likes this.
  13. stangmx13

Yep. Practically every article about letting in new bikes lists the success of balancing in WSS300. Those rules are way more about limiting the fastest bikes than allowing SBK builds for the slowest. I'm sure we'll see more of the same in the new WSS. And that applies to the 600s too. I won't be surprised if they lose some modifications to tighten things up with the undeveloped new bikes.

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

You just don't get it. BikeWeek is/was THE motorcycle event/races/Harley stuff/new bike demos/custom bike shows thing to do in Spring. People from all over in the world couldn't wait for March to get out of winter and take a week off and head south. Shit in the 90s there were like 700,000 plus people in town for like 9 days. From the SX, dirt track, the Alligator Enduro, the m/c demolition derby, the vintage road races, or the Superbikes/600SS/the 200 people from around the world came to watch or race.

So hell yes CCS racers loaded up their vans, stopped at Roebling to race the weekend before to blow out the cobwebs then headed to Daytona to race

969, ekraft84, grasshopper and 4 others like this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Those days are long gone. Now people want to play their PS5 on a 90” screen while streaming their games to their 1.5 million fellow brain dead social me dee duh addicts.

Go outside and actually intermingle with people? What the fuck you smokin’?

Sabre699, TLR67 and sbk1198 like this.
  16. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Spot on. Don't forget about the Dealer Show when it was held at the Armory.

Last week, I was in Daytona Beach for one night. Hadn't been there in almost 20 years, so I wanted a quick look while I was in FL. LOTS of new development everywhere. But the older place where my parents rented an efficiency for a full week during Bike Week? Still there. Even bought a deli sub at the same Publix my mom would shop at while there.

upload_2021-9-17_22-5-11.png

17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. The “new” R6 is $18k and that’s only a couple bucks more than the R1. The whole “win on Sunday sell on Monday” that the SS class was based on has moved up 400cc.
    It’s too bad, the 600 is a benchmark for many riders and was one of the most fair and balanced classes available, at a reasonable cost.

the electronic revolution has made the performance of a 1000 much more accessible, and I think that will become the new SS class.

middleweight Superbike will get expensive. I think a Livengood +2 R6 build makes about 146 hp but the cost is significant- and life limited.

18. sbk1198

Oh I get. I've raced there multiple times. Been to Daytona quite a few times when I lived much farther away. And it was a tough call to have to take off Thursday, Friday and Monday. Now I'm basically next door. You don't get it because you seem stuck in the 90s. What you just described may have been how it was back then, but sorry to break it to you, it hasn't been that way in the last few years. Yes Bike Week is a huge event, but most of those people don't seem to care about racing. Outside of the speedway it's always a party, but not many come in. The D200 race attracted a somewhat decent crowd (still less than pretty much any MotoAmerica event), but nobody cares about the club races. Look around during the sprint races. It was mostly just us racers and friends or family of racers. And that's on a weekend. Like I said....not many club racers will take a week off to race on Wednesday and Thursday. Sure the Harley/Bike Week crowd will still go, but I'm talking about the racers.

19. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

No interest in the coleslaw wrestling?

[​IMG]

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The president of Yamaha Europe is pissed about that. He was saying last week on TV that if the other manufacturers want to win, all they have to do is build a competitive 600. :D

cav115 and YamahaRick like this.