1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 2022

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Sep 16, 2021.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I don't understand why they can't run a full Moto America class structure at Daytona. Shit they have been running 25 min races in the 1000cc classes for years there. I know the age old concern of tires tearing apart but with the technology these days you'd think that they could build a special tire to mitigate issues.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, same as the bagger and twins classes they're taking with them :D

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Easy - money.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

As stupid as I thought the bagger class was it’s really turn out to be a class I enjoy watching. It’s like watching the elephants f@ck at the circus. You might have gone to watch the clowns have a knife fight but, hey, elephants f@cking is interesting. :D

Got to wonder how the tires will do with those goofy bikes.

5. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Sheesh K.

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I feel this comment is a throwback to Tim Conway’s joke on the Carol Burnette show

Yzasserina likes this.
  7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I hope they have the oil cleanup thing down to a science with those bagger motors being that wide open for that long on the banking. Also, I can't imagine the tire issue really being much better for a 160mph heavy ass cruiser than a 190mph superbike. All that weight on those tires going around the banking that fast is going to be ugly I think, but it could work if the race is short enough maybe.

8. grasshopper

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The good thing is that the track surface is mellowing with age. A few tire companies are building Daytona spec rears but the issue is how fast will the MA Sbks go? The track record is a high 45 with Mesa & Pirelli but how fast will Gagne go?

And yes there were some tire issues in March if you didn't know?

Then there's costs to analyze. When I rented the track in 95(?) It was 6 grand a day. How much is it in 2022, 15 grand a day?
    And high speed tracks use up motors, transport, hotels, etc., so team budgets.

And how much do the tire companies spend to build these one or two track special tires?

So when you look at all of that it may not make sense to get the big show there.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    YamahaRick and grasshopper like this.
  10. grasshopper

Okay... Understood

11. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Stamboli mentioned that the SBK are just too fast for the track. He mentioned is possible that he would run the 200 though.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

If Daytona reverted to the the old Bikeweek format they would make some cash for sure. Saturday night was SX by the tri-oval, then Sunday off. Monday and Tuesday was AHRMA (I think)?, Wednesday and Thursday was CCS, then MA & 200 practices would start on Friday, the 200 runs on Saturday and maybe some sprints on Sunday. Or no racing on Sunday and just head for home?

And since there's a tunnel now that semis can fit through getting the different orgs. in and out would be easy! Sitting underneath the stands on the front straight waiting for the only gate for big trucks to open was not fun.

Sabre699 likes this.
  13. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I will make the trip, oh wait it is only 3 miles away and volunteer my time with the AMA in the membership booth or wherever needed.
    It is my way of supporting them a couple of times a year, makes me feel good inside when I see all of the volunteers helping us at Mid-Ohio!!

henry_carlson and Sabre699 like this.
  14. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

MA must right now feel the only bikes the track can handle the tire wear is the twins and bagger classes.
    It will be cool to see what MA teams decide to take a shot at the 200.

15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I think this is the start if the end of Supersport as we know it. Letting in Duc 959 and Triumph 765 means they will have to allow Superbike rules for the 600s. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the class go away completely. Stk 1000 will be the new supersport.

for all the bitching about Superbikes and Daytona, the pole in the 04 race was 1:47.9 By Ben Bostrom. SDK did a 1:48.2 on the 600 this year.

dahustler71, Circacee and YamahaRick like this.
  16. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

The impression I get is that adding the v2, 765, F3, etc is a way to keep the SuperSport class alive even as the 600s exit production.

17. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I don't imagine I would be any less interested in a twins cup 200. The track already races as draft packs so what does top speed really mean other than absolute lap times? And to Gino's point about the 600s catching old SBK times, how long until the R7 and company are closing in again?

Only thing that could ruin this race for me is if it became a closed series race.

18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I would bet it's closer to 30k a day

19. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

Imagine how glorious 55, hell it’s twins cup so let’s make it 75, twins ripping a round Daytona would be…

Monsterdood likes this.
  20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Try imaging 80 TZ750s, taking off for the start (in three waves). As a kid, I was standing on one of the infield MX jumps for that experience. The ground shook, and my ears hurt.

Still one of the best memories of my entire life.

cha0s#242, 969, motoracer1100 and 6 others like this.