1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog folk- Any GSP owners

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I lost my Weim back in 19 and am slowly getting the feels for another pup. Definitely set on a male and they will primarily be a house dog with trips to the fields for quail and dove.

I just don’t think another Weim is possible.
    Too many feels. Any advice on a GSP would be helpful.

Thanks!

2. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Only problem I can see with any dog, C5DB389E-E268-4286-A927-F96BA5F3F274.jpeg is that we outlive them.
    Rescue #15 (“Kane-9”) makes me smile with his young dog traits, and helps me remember his predecessor in a positive way.
    They WILL break your heart; the only way to fill that void is to jump back in.
    First time he strolls over, and lays on your feet, the hurt will start to abate.

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I had two GSPs as a kid (at the same time - Atticus and Bear). They were amazing.

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

No advice on the Short Hairs, other than maybe seeing if George Hickox has pups, but I'm 99% sure my next bird dog will be an English Pointer.

5. sdg

sdg *

Friend has one, she might be mix but her color is right. Amazing dog, smart. She took some work though... We went looking for her a few times. Definitely a bird dog

6. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

No advice on GSPs but I replaced my rescue pitbull with another rescue pitbull and I absolutely love this dog….I hate to say it (sorry Bones) more so than his predecessor. I say go for another Weim and fulfill your hearts desire.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Lafayette likes this.
  7. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

My GSP is turning 10 this December, no health problems at all in that time. In his early years when I was single and he was the only pup he was super loving and attached. Now with another dog, wife, and kid he is a bit more of a loner. Always has been very loyal, well behaved with little training, and what I consider a prototypical dog. He was never destructive if he wasn't exercised, but could easily run all day if you let him. Highly recommend[​IMG]

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

They’re the worst.

When they’re puppies they eat everything.
    They have more energy than a nuclear power plant until about age 10, then they get stubborn.
    Their little hairs will be stuck on everything forever.
    Forget about anything off leash, unless it’s on the dogs terms.
    Also scolding them is worthless because they will give you a look that’s so dejected you’ll swear you’re the worst person in the planet.
    Oh, I almost forgot to say they’re fucking amazing and worth all the headaches you could imagine.

upload_2021-8-23_19-47-19.jpeg

BigBird, SuddenBraking and Sprinky like this.
  9. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

That's a handsome fellow there, how old is he? Hope I get at least 5 more good years with my guy

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

10. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I miss the hell out of our rescue GSP Ruka. Gun shy as hell so never hunted over her. She was the biggest Velcro dog I’ve ever had and I still miss hanging with her.
    Since you had a weim you should be used to the energy!
    We ended up with two English Setters because, well their going to be my Grouse chasing buddies. Still miss Ruka though.
    The Setters Pluto and Fletcher
    4C14658B-3F2E-47A0-80C2-00D8383369EC.jpeg F84E1DD4-4674-4924-88AE-BBBFD82DDFC6.jpeg
    Rest In Peace Ruka
    555FED33-FB76-41C8-9EB4-8506449A1690.jpeg

JBraun and Newyork like this.
  11. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

GSP’s to a tee. Nailed it

JBraun likes this.
  12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

In that photo he was 12. He gave me 13 great years before he passed in ‘17. He was a happy guy to the end but his hips let him down and I had to do the hard thing.