1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

Bontrager XR3 might be a good option to look into. They come in a 2.8 (not sure if they're readily in stock?) and have small block down the middle and good shoulder lugs for cornering traction. Best of both worlds, imo.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

FYI lube the pivot points on your full suspension bikes!! :)

3. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I am thinking about getting a new mountain bike and looking for recommendations. I currently ride an alloy framed Stumpjumper and looking to upgrade. I was thinking "all mountain" type of bike, it has to go up as well as down well. I don't ride huge drops or jumps, I prefer flow trails with small jumps/obstructions. I would like to get better at the more technical terrain but also trying not to get hurt and mess my summer up. It seems crazy to me to pay $6k+ for a bike but I don't think I have a choice if I want to get a better bike, I would be happier around the $4k price point. Bikes I am thinking of right now are:
    * Yeti SB130
    * Ibis Ripmo
    * Santa Cruz Hightower
    * Evil Offering

Are there others I should consider? Anything I should shy away from or any other bits of wisdom please let me know, I don't know much about these, there is a lot to know!

4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Orbea Occam
    Transition Spur
    Canyon Neuron

*Edit - Fezzari is gaining momentum too... lots of great reviews.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    Mike Lafayette likes this.
  5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

If I bought a Fezzari, I’d 100% have to get a sticker that says “more than you can afford pal”

6. thrak410

I dunno ... dude above could look at the Abajo Peak and get a nice 130mm bike with dropper and tubeless for under $2500... he's thinking he's gotta spend $6,000...

Or he could jump up to a Delano and get full carbon + extras for under $4000.

7. TurboBlew

Giant builds a real solid bang for the buck bike. Probably should do some demo rides. $6k gets alot of bike. Big travel 29er is the new hotness

8. 392

392 Well-Known Member

Just finished building my new santacruz 5010 full xx1 build.

Mike Lafayette and Seiko like this.
  9. Mike Lafayette

I don't really want to spend $6k, it just seemed that way but you guys have given me some good options in the $4k range which is easier to stomach. The Orbea Occam that you recommended I didn't even know about and from the research I have done so far it is a great bike!

10. Mike Lafayette

That sounds like a great bike with a very nice component group!

11. thrak410

Yeah it was on my top 3 list when I replaced my 2016 Alma … but I got a killer deal on my FSi custom build and couldn’t say no.

I still drool over it though lol

12. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I own a
    Just got a Trance 29 in at my shop today, ordered it in July. 2020... Lol

13. ton

ton Arf!

it depends on where you are and who you're riding with, of course. but i went a level down in travel. (i live in SLC, for what it's worth). because not being fucking awful on the uphill mattered to me. that said... a bunch of my buddies are in that same grouping. you just gotta go ride them and see what feels right to you.

now... with all that caveat... i rode (45 mins each, in a single day, ouch):
    SB100
    SB130
    Pivot Trail
    Trek something or other

i went into the day planning to buy the SB100.
    walked out with the Pivot.

14. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

@Trainwreck maybe get a known decent set of tyres and learn to ride with that known setup for a while, limit the variables. Where I am the rear is less important grip wise so I run a minion ss on the rear for loose over hardpack, and minion dhf up front. Still a classic.

15. TurboBlew

my local shop had a couple of Trance Xs in stock... I hmmm'd & hawwed and lost out... Still happy with my 2019 Decree.

16. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I got my dad a Trance X a couple months ago. He loves it! I haven't ridden one yet but no bad ride reports yet. The regular Trance 29 I've ridden and it's a badass machine for getting across the ground quick but still being able to get rowdy and jump some good hits. I'd love to keep this one for myself but I'll try and wait :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. Mike Lafayette

Pivot makes a great bike! It is cool you were able to ride a bunch, around here there aren't very many to ride, the stock is out in many places. I live in Vermont, tons of riding around here from downhill at ski areas to easy fire roads and everything in between. I ride in between those two extremes nothing too crazy, love the speed on the down hill flowy trails, small jumps, a ton of berms, trees, rocks, etc., but like you said the climb is a big part of what I typically do so that is equally as important as the downhill.

ton likes this.
  18. Mike Lafayette

Crazy!

19. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I'm cleaning up and servicing my 12 or 15 year old MB, and shopping for a new one. Hard to find, at my local shop. Expanding my search some, to find something nice in the sub $4k range.

20. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Yee haww my new bike rack showed up and someone just bought the one that didnt fit my bike.