1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on home deionized/spotless car wash setups

Discussion in 'General' started by shakazulu12, Jun 23, 2021.

1. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

As the title states. Would like to get a spotless car wash setup at home. I did a search on Amazon, which brought up a bunch of units from CR Spotless. But I'm sure the Beeb break it down to a slightly smarter than Metalhead level a little better.

2. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Its just a food grade water filter system on a spigot, right?

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I had some filters a couple years ago and they worked awesome. You can get some DIY cartridges and build a system at home. Then add in your standard cartridge of choice. I think mine had a spun filter for sediment and then 1 or 2 ion cartridges. Add a couple hose fittings and your ready to rock. Lots of info online. I havent used it in a while...because truck and living in the country equals dust and DGAF.

4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Most of the setups I've seen look something like this. With replaceable filter pods of some sort.

[​IMG]

R1M370 likes this.
  5. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

one word for "real systems", spensive. dry your shit fast after a wash, no need for special water treatments. your results may vary. Ski

Gorilla George and Gixxerguy855 like this.
  6. skidooboy

the guy in your pic, is doing it wrong, never wash in direct sunlight. always early in the morning, late at night with cool to the touch panels, in the shade, or cloudy day. ski

7. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="never wash in direct sunlight. always early in the morning, late at night with cool to the touch panels, in the shade, or cloudy day. ski[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly what I do but with black cars and trucks it will still spot. I have a blow dry set up with heater but that takes some time. I was also thinking the filter might be worth a try for the truck.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  8. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

We use a smaller version of that for our ice machines, filters are about $130 to replace, spin on cartridge that looks similar to that setup on the driveway.

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

What is this washing of vehicles you speak of ??

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Why is the wife not doing it between sandwiches

Kev59 and Sabre699 like this.
  11. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

10 minutes with a shammy ? Bonus of putting eyes on everything...
    Priceless

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

High velocity air solves the problem and is useful for other purposes. In other words...a blower is the answer. If you don't let the water spots dry on the car then there won't be spots.

sdg and TurboBlew like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Chamois....

sdg likes this.
  14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

[​IMG]

Knotcher likes this.
  15. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

If it's sealed - clean it when it rains. Let the car soak, use clean microfiber towels to remove the dirt, go inside, let the rain rinse it, come out and dry it off when the rain stops (depending on how particular you are, you can even let it air dry and it will still look better than you think). You'd be surprised how much time you save by not having to keep the car constantly wet or rinsing it afterwards.

16. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Leaf blowers are cheap these days

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So only a few washes a year out here then.

I remember thinking when I moved to California at 25, wow since it doesn't rain often, I bet my car will stay clean longer. Nope.

18. skidooboy

PFM microfibre drying towels ala Griot's Garage. one thick gray one, and one of their gold microfibre towels will dry most mid size cars, trucks. full size, you will need 2 of each. worth their weight in water. Ski chamois balls up, crustifies, and ends up doing more damage than drying, just my honest opinion.

and if you are using chamois on black... that is on you, damage that cannot be easily overcome. Ski

19. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Just go watch the obsessed garage YouTube channel and you will be asleep in first few min. Guy has worst voice ever for narration and presentation. He turns nest subjects into complete snooze fests

20. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

With the car washes in my town charging 20/month for unlimited monthly membership I can't figure out why you'd do this unless you're going to car shows or have a Ferrari, etc.