1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling my RS125R

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by xTomKx, May 26, 2021.

1. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I’m selling my 97 Honda Rs125r NX-4 Moto3 GP race motorcycle. Bike was fully refreshed over the winter. Was raced recently at NJMP. It’s ready to go. Has many aftermarket upgrades. Thermostat, brembo master, pare CF muffler, etc

$7500

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Was it Mike's extra bike?
    And does it really have Michelin slicks on it?

3. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

As I understand it was Mike's main bike. I still have the original fairings. Right now it has Pirelli's. The decals are sort of stuck on there. I suppose you know this bike well?

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

That's a bad ass bike! Good luck with the sale

5. grandpanot

grandpanot Well-Known Member

Do you have spares with this package?

6. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I do have spares that we can work into the deal.

7. redphu

redphu Well-Known Member

Curious how many hours before needing a top end rebuild.

sandy_rocks likes this.
  8. TZmb

TZmb Member

To those considering RS125's, when we saw him in April at Kershaw none other than Bill Himmelsbach had 2 fresh RS125's looking for new owners.

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Ever 3 to 4 hours or 300 miles you should do the top end on those things. You can usually reuse the piston a couple times but should definitely measure the rings and piston and replace per spec in the manual. Depending how much you ride it the bottom end should be rebuilt every year or every 1200 miles. They are cool little machines but require more turning wrenches than some people are willing to do.

10. redphu

redphu Well-Known Member

Appreciate the heads up Grasshopper. I’ve got my hands full with a cr 85 presently where I had to rebuild both top and bottom with guidance from YouTube university. Yeah I’m gonna pass.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea, I would say racing a RS125 competitively is about as expensive as racing a 600 competitively. What you save in tires you spend in cranks, pistons, etc.

It is a great learning tool and per my son, super fun to ride, but I got tired of all the maintenance.

If you aren't trying to be at the pointy end, and quite frankly now you don't have to worry about that, because no one is really competitively running them, they would probably be very fun. Just run them a little fat on the jetting. Plus if you are an older guy, that isn't going to be doing track record pace, you could definitely ease up on the maintenance required.

expat likes this.
  12. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I used to do most of the maintenance at home, so when at the track, it was really only jetting/timing and any suspension clicks that needed to be done. Pistons/gearbox/clutch all got the going over at home before hand. I hated taking things apart at the track, if I could help it, other than the heads to have a peak at the piston tops. Granted, the first time at a track I would have to do more work(gearbox ratios), but once close, I just jetted and rode the thing. Then took notes for what to change for the next time I visited that track. But settings change as you get faster, so there is always something that needs doing. Just depends on how much effort you want to put into it, and if you have any (trustworthy) help. I did everything myself, so it can wear you down a little bit if things start going sideways. But good prep at home usually eliminates issues at the track.

13. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

First of all I don't know how my for sale post turned into a maintenance post. And why not to buy RS125.

Second you obviously have not competitively raced 600 or you were blowing up every weekend.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    sandy_rocks likes this.
  14. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

Yes, he got two RS125 from a guy I used to race with. They are not Mike's bike. This one comes with original bodywork with #1 plate.

zx250r likes this.
  15. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

Here is a little video of the RS running

zx250r and Youpaiyou like this.
  16. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Well technically this post is not in the "For Sale" section. It was never my intention to deter anyone from buying the little bike. Actually the only reason why I'm in here talking about it is because I want it. Just don't have 7500 bucks to blow right now. Good luck with the sale. I think it's priced right and is a very cool bike. It appears to be in great shape and it sounds good in the video as well. Hopefully it falls into the right hands with someone who has the ability and knowhow of both how to ride it and maintain it properly.

mattys281, xTomKx and Boman Forklift like this.
  17. Boman Forklift

A guy asked a maintenance question about these so a few of us responded.

You are right I didn’t race one. However my son finished 5th in the season points, in his first season racing in the AMA 600SS class, after missing Daytona because he was only 15.

He also managed to win a USGPRU race on a 125 and win a stock Moriwaki class race the same weekend.

Is that competitive enough for you?

By the way your rebuttal makes it sound like the only way the cost would be the same is if the 600 was blowing up every weekend. Fortunately for us it was not.

boxcrash likes this.
  18. tz250racer

tz250racer Active Member

Everything needs rebuilt whether 2S or 4S. And I don't really hear about 2 strokes blowing up.
    2S = planned maintenance.
    4S = emergency maintenance.

Trust me, run my TZ to death and every year I'm running against twins and 565s grenading themselves to bits.

Run a 2 stroke a size or two fat and you'll barely notice the difference and tend to tires and fuel all weekend instead.

Smart guys running 2 strokes have gearing & initial jetting set before packing the trailer and do top/bottom ends at breaks in the season whether it be in the middle or end of.

xTomKx and A. Barrister like this.
  19. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

Where I was going with this ... to be competitive in 600 class you are rebuilding the motor at least once per season. Practically same as a 125. The cost of a SS 600 motor is not cheap. On a 600 at expert level you are changing rear tire every race. I do not agree that i costs same to run 125 as a 600.

20. Boman Forklift

My 600 rebuild was much less than I spent on cranks and pistons with a 125 for a season. How much are 125 piston kits now....they were over $300 10 years ago, and a crank was 800 ish, as I recall?

However the cool thing is a regular guy can rebuild a 125, heck I had my 14-15 year old son doing everything except the cranks which I replaced. I'm sure he could have learned to do that, but I usually did that during the week at work, versus pistons and checking pistons/squish was often checked at the track....usually on Saturday evening and that became his job.

By the way I think 125's are pretty awesome, and wish I wasn't so big and could ride one. I weigh 190ish and back when my son was racing there were 5-10 kids that would show up to ride at a local club race and more at USGPRU. I haven't checked recently, but based on what I saw in 2012-1014ish an adult could have some fun as the kids moved to Ninja300-400's. R3's and KTM's.

With a competitive kid that is running up front pace, a 125 needs at least a set of tires a weekend, sometimes more. We needed a piston almost every weekend, and a crank 1-3 times a year, depending on the mileage. Plus plugs, reeds, plug caps, motul oil, VP gas and other various stuff that breaks on a 25 year old bike.

With the 60o at club level winning pace, we ran pump gas, and we needed at least 2 rears and 1 front every weekend, sometimes more. At the Pro level it was 4-5 sets of tires every weekend.

boxcrash likes this.