1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you are going to have a bump start bike these are handy

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by grandpanot, May 19, 2021.

1. grandpanot

grandpanot Well-Known Member

Bought myself a solo rolling starter and it is pretty nice not to have to run with the bike

2. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Accu Products has a very nice accessory that allows you to plug an electric starter in on the end of the crank. It is one way so when the motor starts it doesn't yank the starter out of your hands.

grandpanot likes this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Those work great on a Honda RS125. It was so nice to be able to start and warmup the bike while still leaving the tire warmers on.

4. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member

Is there an option that doesn't way 2oo pounds? I had the DocZ and with two truck starters and a battery, it wasn't worth it.

5. bncadvr

bncadvr Well-Known Member

The Accu products one is light, but need to take the belly pan off or cut a hole in it.

6. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member

I have that starter nut on a few bikes. But some bodywork is too nice to drill into.

7. bncadvr

I hear you, I'm debating drilling a hole in my RS. My bodywork is nothing special, but it is overall in good shape and of course not easy to find spares.

8. grandpanot

So with the accu products does anyone have a picture they can show of the tool that the accu products uses to spin their adaptor. is it like a drill?

9. bncadvr

I think you just chuck it into a typical drill. For smaller engines, of course.

grandpanot likes this.
  10. dave3593

Yes, just a drill. My regular Bosch hand drill would not start my 250. I already had Bosch batteries so I read Bosch specs and bought a high torque two speed (shift lever) hand drill. I works very well. I have an old 1/2 inch drive, 120volt drill that would probably start anything. I think Accu Products makes a larger plug in device for larger motorcycle motors.

grandpanot likes this.
  11. Ron D

Ron D Active Member

The Accu Products deal works great on my 2000 NX5. Even with the 250cc vs the 125cc it works with no issues...just ensure you have a strong enough drill (and of course do not use an impact drill). My wife appreciates it too, she hates pushing...LOL!

12. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I may have to consider this for my RZ. I wonder if the PVL setup will work on my RZ. I've always been afraid to spin the pvl to start it because its not keyed.

13. dave3593

How do you start it now? On my rz I use a banshee kick start lever. It is so short, if it swung out it doesn't cause a problem.

14. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I use the accu-products starter with a 1/2" drill. Yes, drill a hole in the body work. Warming up the bike while with tire warmers on is the way to go.

Boman Forklift and grandpanot like this.
  15. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I have roller starters I use. They work great but tire warmers have to come off and my rollers are really heavy. My RZ had no kick start mechanism when I got it.

grandpanot likes this.
  16. grandpanot

My Solo Roller is sure heavy but starts even the NSF250R with ease. For a two stroke it is probably overkill and the drill starter seems to make sense

17. Supermotoguy

Supermotoguy Active Member

Why are you saying not to use an impact drill? Just curious. I have a hammer drill and it works flawlessly.

I had trouble push starting my 125 when I first got it but assume it’s because the ring had not set. Now I can push start it easily.

18. Ron D

Ron D Active Member

You are spinning the motor via the Flywheel. And in many cases the thread is the same direction that you have to spin the motor (as is with my NX5). So if you use an impact wrench you will likely loosen the nut when spinning the motor over. A decent corded drill will have enough torque to get it going and spin it fast enough without loosening the nut. I also used some red loctite on the nut as well just to be sure.

19. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Some impact drills allow you to turn off the impact function. Such a thing would work great.

20. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Check out starter rollers. A guy on here used to make them. I saw one in action at the recent WERA Endurance race at Summit Point.