1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas for $1.99 a gallon around here.

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Hezus!

Could do the same Meme with some Plywood and a 2 x 4s....

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

4. I gotta learn how to hack me some shit!

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I don't know anything about networks and systems, but if you are vulnerable to hackers and ransom and stuff, shouldn't you be backing everything up? That way you can wipe the network and go back one day and start up again. I would think that kind of IT costs less tan $4 million.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

What are the odds that they were paying a third party to protect them from that kind of thing?

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The trick is having a good backup system that ISN'T susceptible to the same hijinx used by the cryptovirus everywhere else on your network, and has a deep enough retention time. Even then, depending on how many systems you're talking the time to restore can be long enough that the payout + unlock is cheaper, which is what these bastards bank on.

noles19 likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When they hit us there wasn't a dollar amount, just instruction to email them for the ransom and so they could prove they they could decrypt the files.

kangasj likes this.
  9. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Man, haven't seen you tearing up people around here much lately. Been locked up? :D How much did you pay?

10. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Calif...
    Cost $84.00 to fill up a Nissan Frontier mini truck yesterday.

$ 84.00 ...and Gas is still going up.

It's gonna cost me:

$175.00
    to fill up my E350 7.3 cargo van.

The Nissan I fill up every day and a 1/2....it gets 13 mpg w a 4 cyl..carriny 800 lbs loaded toolbox..
    Pathetic.
    The diesel gets approx 16 mog @ 7000 + lbs.

Sucks for individuals whom have to absorb gas costs....
    200-300 a week for gas 800- $1200 a month just 4 fuel.
    Can't pass the cost on to customers either☹️

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Paid nothing, went to a back up that had nothing on it. Had to rebuild some stuff but really it helped us clean out some majorly old files we will never use again.

kangasj likes this.
  12. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

This line from the movie Snatch is appropriate.
    Bullet Tooth Tony. "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Even then, some of these ransomware attacks are planted, and then wait for months before being activated, thus its in your backups just waiting to be activated again when/if you do a restore.

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yup, which is where multiple backup strategies come in handy, you don't just image systems, you backup data by itself, etc. Networks should be partitioned, all sorts of ways to mitigate or down right shut down the risks, but they're not point click easy and tend to cost manpower and capital so often get ignored.

thrak410 likes this.
  15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

My gas tank will now hold $70!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BHP41 likes this.
  16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

You got it cheaper than the price on the pump.

17. auminer

3 cents per gallon Kroger card discount.

I save the fuel points for filling up both of the personal vehicles at months end.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

We take both cars to make the best use of points. Between the Sequoia and Sienna we can usually hi the 35 gallon max.

19. auminer

WFH has kept us under 35 for about a year now. Sometimes we just get in one or the other and just drive the back roads for an hour or so just to keep the vehicles from sitting.

20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.