MotoGP | 2021 | Round 3 | Portimao | Portgual | April 16-18

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Apr 12, 2021.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

There is already subjectivity. They have to decide when and where to throw a yellow that has a direct effect on the riders on the track. Did they really have to throw that yellow then? Was Oliviera in a potential impact zone or were they being overly cautious? You know as well as I do that racers need to exercise judgement all the time on the track. How many times have you come up on a downed rider before the yellow was out? Did you just run them over or did you slow down? BTW, I have done both.:crackup:

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If Oliveira got to wherever he stopped tumbling, anyone else can get there too. I have a feeling that Zarco or Rabat would agree with me.

I've done both too.
    (But it was target fixation, not trying to salvage a fast lap)

3. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Remember, the guys throwing the flags are corner workers , not Racers ... I believe IYC was a corner worker ... I rest my Case ... ( sorry Mike ) :D

Phl218 likes this.
  4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

It funny that while watching them trade fastest laps I thought to myself "Rins is gonna tuck the front soon like always"...a little while later the announcer calls it out.

ShadowBoxer likes this.
  5. kenessex

But if he got up and walked out of the impact zone, then there may not have been a need for the yellow. Lots of speculation here, but I still think the rule is bs and should be done away with. I may be wrong, but I am going to stick with my position.

6. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Did the bike get up and out of the impact zone?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. kenessex

I don't know, do you?
    Generally that is part of the job of the corner workers.

8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Indeed.
    They get to decide when to throw a yellow and when it's SAFE to cancel it.
    Seems totally reasonable.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  9. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Again. The only way to keep the yellow flag rule in its current state and have it be a fair rule for everyone would be to go back to a 45min QP. Otherwise it’s a BS rule. Pecco and Maverick were penalized for someone else’s mistake.

And let’s be honest. If the rule was actually working, there wouldn’t be anyone getting laps canceled.

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

The rule is meant as a safety measure for the track workers. A 45 mins QP wouldn't change that one bit, laps would still be cancelled if riders disregard the yellow flag.

The 45 mins QP wasn't great either with riders getting in each other's way.

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

but in 45 min you have the opportunity to go out again for a third or fourth time if your first 2 attempts got messed up by external circumstances...

BigBird and BHP41 like this.
  12. BHP41

Exactly.

I understand why the rule was put is place. It’s fairness is what I’m questioning.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Acosta, youngest rider ever to podium 3x in a row to start a career....16 yo and he has braces....GOAT 2.1

~sent from mobile

14. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Why have qualifying if it isn't a dramatic format with few chances? If you want the fairest format just take the top times from weekend practice and be done with it then.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I think at all tracks you can get a minimum of 2 sessions of 2 hot laps each.

If you choose to futz around and try to find the perfect spot or person to follow or try to time it so you are the last one over the line, that is the risk you take.

If you lengthen the session, that won’t change. The soft tires generally only have 2 really fast laps in them anyway. You might get 3 hot laps per tire at the shorter tracks, but then you probably have time for 3 hot laps per session at those tracks already, so nothing really changes.

Chino52405 likes this.
  16. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Well-Known Member

Yup, i was yelling at TV saying the same thing. Whatdaya know? 2 laps later and he tucked the front. I hate to say it but I think its time Suzuki look at replacing him. They should go after Frankie...

Circacee likes this.
  17. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Not just 3 podiums, he's one 2nd place away from a perfect season so far, ignoring qualifying that doesn't pay points anyway.
    2nd, 1st, 1st.
    Sure seems another alien has joined the show.

scottn and BigBird like this.
  18. BHP41

He’s the most exciting rider to come into GP since MM. IMO.

ungwaha, BigBird and Quicktoy like this.
  19. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Of course you are wrong, even current world champ understands the need to slow down when the yellow is out.

Blammo and Quicktoy like this.
  20. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

What’s that bump Joe to in the points?

Great ride by Cam too!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021