1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Commufornia restrictions

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Damn, this stuff irks me. The California govt has already cost me and a bunch of small operators huge money, by outlawing all our diesel power plants older than 2010-12 range. I had to get rid of a couple trucks and don't have enough extra income right now to go replace them, with the huge losses during this Covid madness.

On May 7, 2021, the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) Board of Governors will consider adopting onerous new regulations and taxes (ISR) targeting over 3,000 Southern California warehouses.

The regulation proposed by SCAQMD would require warehouse operators with more than 100,000 square feet of indoor space to reduce emissions by limiting the number of trucks that can come to their building and pay a “mitigation fee.”

Initially, this rule will cost warehouse operators nearly a dollar per square foot, every single year, with NO SUNSET DATE. Annual increases are expected thereafter with no limit on this new endless tax. Warehouse operators would be required to track and report all truck trips and the rule imposes costly, duplicative requirements on top of California Air Resources Board's already stringent rules.

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

You sure Texas is still more expensive based on your discussions earlier??? :)

Fencer, BigBird, DrA5 and 3 others like this.
  3. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

This thread is a dirty bomb level trap with an Anthrax chaser.....

BigBird, Sabre699, Jedb and 6 others like this.
  4. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Someone has to pay for all those homeless hotel rooms.
    As a former truck driver,what are the idle policies for drivers delivering or p/u?
    I never drove there, and honestly never would.
    They seem to bite the hand's that feed them.

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Move...

BigBird, Sabre699, stk0308 and 4 others like this.
  7. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

This. Get out.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  8. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

On the bright side, maybe Bruce Jenner can fix the situation if he becomes governor. :rolleyes:

kangasj likes this.
  9. Boman Forklift

If I didn't own a business both these things that are an issue wouldn't really effect me.

Well in the past year, my wife, who is born and raised here, has started coming around to eventually leaving. I originally wanted to move to Texas in 91-ish and we went back there and bought a house in Austin. I ended up not taking a job transfer to Texas and she really didn't want to leave her family and friends in California.

I will admit if we move, the hardest thing will be giving up the weather and activities here. That is why I moved here to begin with. Friends will be a second reason, but I already lost my best friend years ago, so no one will replace him anyway.

If I worked for a company, instead of owning my business, I honestly think we would have already moved away. I just can't move this business, all the customers are local. So, I would have to sell it and start over somewhere else in either this business, or try and learn another business all over again. I'm not at the point I can retire financially. Actually don't even think I could retire, and stay around the house puttering about, I think it would drive me freaking nuts.

SGVRider and ToofPic like this.
  10. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I can understand where you are coming from Rob. I gave up my business that I had built up for 25 years. I just wanted out. My happiness is worth more. I have not been here long, but can say the only thing I miss at all is the mountain biking. That's it. With as crazy as things are on all fronts, at least here I feel like I have a chance.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    SGVRider and Boman Forklift like this.
  11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

America has weather in other places besides California, ya know. Atmospheric conditions are not unique to the West Coast.

Consider that your business may be losing value because of taxes like this. Maybe not losing value, but losing potential buyers that would be interested in buying your business because
    this fleecing via government is making it harder to be a profitable enterprise.

Rebel635 likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

You went to Texas too, didn't you? Are you going to work for someone else or are you starting up your own gig?

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

So, if you split the building up into however many LLCs it would take such that no single company owned over 99000 square feet?

Maybe?

Rebel635, Dom17 and worthless like this.
  14. Boman Forklift

Trust me, we've been thinking about it. We went back to Texas and looked at houses. We were also going to go to Tennessee and look at some houses. We liked the Nashville area, Leiper's Fork, and my buddie owned a place in Franklin. He moved out there from California, and we have visited him two times in the past few years. Just last night my wife was showing me places somewhere outside of Chattanooga TN.

I would consider Florida, based on being able to have a house on the water, but it does come across as being a bit weird....just like California, so am I jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire......plus anyplace that screens in pools may not be a place for me......LOLOL?

I was actually surprised when I moved to California, that you have so few bugs, some of the gas stations don't even have those bug removal squeegees. I bet I go years without even using one of them at a gas station, yet it was an every time you fill up occurrence in Illinois when I grew up. When I lived in Texas they just gave you free car washes with every fill up, so I didn't bother with the squeegee

15. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Yep. Georgetown, outside of Austin. We really like it here except it is growing too fast. Crazy how much is going on here. I'm currently trying to go to work for someone. If I can make enough between the wife and I to be comfortable with the cost of living difference, I will try that. Otherwise, I may start up here down the road. I have a friend in CA that wants to invest in building out here rather than in California, so I have that option in my back pocket.

Our other option was Tennessee. The wife had a job offer in Nashville as well. We really like Tennessee and the low property tax. We looked around Franklin, Spring Hill and up around Hendersonville. Here she drives away from the city for work and there she would have been driving into the city every day. We still talk about ending up there if it doesn't work here.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Florida is a different weird than California weird. You'll see a headline of a Florida man fucking a alligator, but never about Florida being like Cali for environment shit.

Boman Forklift and ToofPic like this.
  17. Boman Forklift

Yea, I'm not sure that is better, though. Then you add in the crazy humidity and the screened in pools, hell do you get a funny tan under a screened in pool? :D

18. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Sell the business while the $ is still worth something. Sell the house for a ton of $, then buy a mansion with property for the same price in TN. Massive inflation is on the way, so that dollar will be worth pennies before long. Just my two cents (which is about what a dollar will be worth in a few years.)

SGVRider, Rebel635, skidooboy and 5 others like this.
  19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

its better than the crazy cali stuff for sure. but I also wouldn't pick Florida as a place to move to haha

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

All I have to say about it is.....CAITLYN JENNER!!!

StaccatoFan and Phl218 like this.