1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2021 Vintage 7 projects

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 2Big4Bike, Oct 17, 2020.

1. RyanDCramer

RyanDCramer Well-Known Member

What are the rules again for modifications?

2. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

3. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

almost done

4. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Depends on how much you want to cheat...:Poke:

What are you building now?

Don't be lazy, read the Rulebook Chapter 11, then post any specific questions that aren't clear.
    V7 Heavyweight is a Superbike class so it's pretty open...but don't throw a front end on with radial mount calipers. :dead:

Regards,
    Chad

5. 2Big4Bike

You're almost done...and I haven't even pulled my engine to plug the leaks yet!!!

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I figured most people posting in this thread could appreciate this...

C34C2A13-A99A-4746-8E6B-D5944F808967.jpeg

stk0308, donjuan, ToofPic and 7 others like this.
  7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Sprint tank back from welder today. Stock tank is cover for mock up and to pop a mold off to make glass tank cover.

5EAE20D9-A29B-41D0-B794-156C1C1BCBCB.jpeg
    2F6D4F1B-5EAB-4056-9FEB-A92E7E1E249D.jpeg

8. 2Big4Bike

Look what arrived from Airtech today...:D

As for the rest of the project...boy am I behind schedule!!!:(

Attached Files:

smurph, evakat and VFR#52 like this.
  9. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I would still like to come across a decent priced 748

10. 2Big4Bike

When I bought this zx7 project it was a 37,000 mile street bike with a "blown second gear" according to the previous owner.

I'm neck deep in it now and I just split the cases to swap the transmission.

When I looked at the shift drum that is currently in the bike...it doesn't look worn at all...and I noticed that there is no "chamfer" on the edges of the shift fork grooves. There is a very small "edge break".
    When I compare it to the shift drum that I was about to swap it with...the "new drum" has a significantly larger chamfer at the edges of the shift fork grooves.

Groove width on both are the same.

I totally understand variation in production processes...and missed operations...improperly set tool height in CNC etc.

My question is...Which drum do you think is better? Sharp edge break or larger chamfer?

Regards,
    Chad

Attached Files:

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Still wrestling with what to do with this. Just been keeping it in my living room. This is the one bike that tolerated my riding.

[​IMG]

J Bart and fastedyamaha like this.
  12. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Damn that’s a great looking bike!

13. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Yes that would work haha that’s definitely beautiful

14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I don't see an issue with the chamfer, as that isn't the interface for the fork. I would be inspecting the fork itself if there is a 2nd gear issue to see if the fork is bent and ends are worn/blued. If the trans is set up as my GSXR and FZR were, then the 2nd driven gear is at the end of the shaft, so I would also inspect the bearing at the end of that shaft for wear and whatnot.

15. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Got to pace some track laps on the 87 FZR750RT this weekend at Summit Point.
    First laps since I had Metric Devil Moto redo all the suspension.
    She is not quite ready for some angry race laps... but I think another trackday and she good to go

Attached Files:

418, ToofPic, 2Big4Bike and 1 other person like this.
  16. 2Big4Bike

Awesome! Good for you!

I on the other hand am running into issues every step of the way with my build.:eek:

Murphy and his law is large and in charge! :mad::(

The EASIEST part so far has been splitting the cases and swapping the transmission!!!

The top end has been killing me...already broke two piston rings using every technique known to man.:confused:

Let alone all of the little things that are causing delays.

I definitely won't get any track day time before the May Grattan round and unless there is a major turn around in luck, I'm in risk of missing that.:(

Oh well, keep plugging away.

Regards,
    Chad

17. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

The 996 turned its first wheels in anger yesterday at the Classic Track Day at Big Willow

Then promptly blew a seal in the rear brake caliper and ground the pads and disc away
    Knew I should have sprung for a new one, but as I don’t ever use the damm thing didn’t

Hopefully OPP has one in stock

Other than that and me wondering why I decided to make this my first bike ever with race shift it actually does run even if it looks like a mongrel with a yellow tank and unpainted fairings

ungwaha likes this.
  18. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Anybody riding a 93-95 zx7 in vintage? I have one sitting in my garage thay I have no idea if I'm gonna make a street bike or a race bike out of it.

19. ungwaha

ungwaha Well-Known Member

I have a 92 Race bike in my garage that YOU need to buy and then you have a full bike of spares! :flag:

Shenanigans likes this.
  20. 2Big4Bike

I'm ATTEMPTING to build a 1992 zx7 because it is legal in V6HW and V7HW...the 93-95 is only legal in V7HW and up.

I suggest you build a race bike out of yours...duh.:D :Poke:

Regards,
    Chad

Shenanigans likes this.