1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB RG500 Gamma

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by clarityinstatic, Feb 9, 2021.

1. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I hate to see prices go out of site but I understand it. I have sold stuff in the past because I didn't want to thrash collectables but my two strokes are staying with me now. I sure could use a spare rz350 or banshee motor.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

When I owned mine, I had one bone stock RG500 and one with some Lance mod's. I also had a Honda NS400R and it handled better than the Gamma's but not as fast...stock to stock. As @This old Rz mentioned about the Yamaha, I never even bought one because I heard they really lacked compared to the Honda and Suzuki. I did love the look of the Yamaha when guys painted them up like a Marlboro bike.

I sold the modified Gamma for $5500 and the stock one for $6500 back in 95, to drum up down payment money for the house I still live in. In my continued plan of selling stuff before it was valuable, I sold my 930 Turbo with under 40K miles for $20-21K, can't remember, back in 97-98 timeframe. Those were trading hands for over 100K not too long ago.

clarityinstatic likes this.
  3. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I have a friend who bought a couple 930 Turbos , relatively cheap bout 16 years ago as well as a last year 993 turbo 4 less than 35 k.....just those 3 cars put him on easy Street a year ago.

On the poor side of topics...lol
    I sold my RD400 Daytona Special about 5 years ago for two grand to my friend, and don't get me started on any of my muscle cars all of which I bought for UNDER $3,000 and SILD all for less than $4500.00.sold my last
    In bout 93-94 A 68 Dodge Charger RT 440 Magnum 100% original, my others I bought all around 1985-91 were 65 Mustang GT coupe 289 100% original, 70 and a half z28 Camaro, 70 and 71 Plymouth cudas 383 & 440, 70 Challenger 440 conversion, my 88 Mustang LX with a 5lb Paxton blower, and obviously I never should have sold any of my 80s 2 strokes...
    If I had had all these cars today I could have retired and never worked again.... My parents couldn't say that in their generation and none of the 90s or up cars have ever appreciated to such a level it's crazy isn't it crazy to think about.
    there is no better time ever to have the cool motorcycles and cars in the 80s as they cost nothing even brand new they were all dirt cheap.....good times

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  4. That is/was a serious collection!
    993s on BAT are averaging 6 figures based on the last couple of years.
    There's always going to be an ebb and flow with prices for these 2strokers though. Sat on several affordable deals not too long ago only to watch them being snapped up and nothing else coming up nearly quite as close.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

5. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

lol this happened to my buddy that owns the race shop that does a bunch of my work. when we were still in our 20's, he bought a pristine 964 turbo for like high 30's i think? maybe $40k?

anyways... put some Sparco Pro2000's in it, a dope steering wheel, welded in a rollcage, Motons, a GT2/3 type trunk/wing, and then got a set of custom drilled Volk TE37's for it that cost a bajillion dollars. Exhaust and standalone ECU (they're tuning is national renowned) and that was it. Car was unreal, drove like a godamn gokart on rails on Toyo 888's. He sold it around 2010 I wanna say? Just before things got really nuts, but I think he basically got what he paid for it. The mods probably hurt him in that regard even though they were super tasteful and high end cause you know how old men Porsche dudes are, but still... got like $40k I wanna say. 964 Turbo's are going for dumb ass money now. kicking himself on that one.

6. tz250racer

tz250racer Active Member

I have an RG500 project that I won't see the end building. It'll be up for sale soon.
    Spondon chassis. 575 motor. Nova close ratio trans. Nova Dry Clutch. Nova Straight cut primaries. Jolly Moto pipes. Marchesini wheels.
    Have custom C/F bodywork I'm gonna throw in with it.

7. PM sent!

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Sounds like a weapon! Wish you could finish it though.

9. tz250racer

tz250racer Active Member

It sucks, but I have TZs I'm also trying to bring back to life and have to be realistic in how much I can chew off.

That's the hard part!

clarityinstatic and motion like this.
  10. 250,350,700 or 750?

11. tz250racer

tz250racer Active Member

All 250s.

The Gamma will go up F/S after I get thru the first few race weekends.

12. Sweatypants

Did you have this up on ebay like a year ago and took it down early? Pics from a storage unit or something?

13. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

If it is small damn world. My friend w the 911s ....about a year ago send me a picture of a spondon framed r RG truck bike here in the US, he was trying to buy it ASAP.. he doesnt know much about RGs sohe kept calling me relentlessly for a day or two asking me about all the modifications it had.
    He Johnny was trying to buy that or a very very similar bike...Johnny on the spot.. but he said the seller pulled the ad and disappeared after some correspondence...lol
    Can't say I posted ads and then change my mind I should have sold all might ones that I thought about selling and kept the ones I did sell..lol

How ironic talking about his 911s and possibly the same RG..lol

14. tz250racer

tz250racer Active Member

If they said it was on Ebay, then yes, that was me.
    Had people hitting me left and right with straight up offers from England to NZ.
    Got sick of it real quick and pulled it.
    I did not have a buy it now price which was my mistake.

15. Sweatypants

You mind sharing one now? Or I guess when you're ready to move it? Ironically enough it got shared on a Facebook 2-stroke group I'm on for super sweet racebikes based in Europe, and most of the stuff shared is Europe. People just post cool stuff that pops up from all over the world... ex-WSBK, BSB, Moto2, etc... so I'm usually not in the buying zone, especially because of the shipping hassle and just like window shopping, but I opened that link and I was like, "Northern VA!?!?! WTF!?!" haha. I saw that nobody was bidding on it and I was like man,.. I'll bring you a few more G's than its listed for if really no takers. You're like 20 min away. Wondered what happened, figured somebody else got to you first.

16. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Saw an RG500 listed on FB marketplace. $40k. Jefferson, WI.

17. tz250racer

tz250racer Active Member

I think people were serious (at least a couple shops in UK and a guy in NZ). They realized the bike is not going to be a streetbike as I mentioned no title in the ad. I just didn't like the way they were going about trying to get the bike off the auction listing. It basically became harassment. When it went there I started rethinking getting rid of it.

Now with the TZs not making progress and my age making progress......the RG is gonna be the one that loses out unfortunately. Just needs someone with the time & money to see it get done. And this time I'll list with a buy it now to avoid the ridiculousness.

18. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

So, they were trying to get you to sell it to them, but not through Ebay? And dicking around with what they wanted to pay?

19. tz250racer

tz250racer Active Member

Starting bid was $15k as I recall and no reserve and no buy it now. So they were offering close to that (pulling it off) as no bids had been made.
    It'll go up with a Buy It Now next time. Had similar happen with a YZ 125 I got rid of last summer but thankfully it found a good home.

If anyone wants a pic of the bike, I got by the storage place and took one while looking for bodywork for someone else here.

20. Sweatypants

post pics. we always like pics. I think you had it for like $12k starting before. I wish it woulda come back up before I threw down on that Martek frame and R6 rear stuff. I dunno that I can deal with 3 projects right now.